Beginning Writer Seeking New Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsbreath

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! The name's dragonsbreath. I've read a lot of great things about this forum so I decided to sign-up and join in on the fun. I'm quite familiar with forum culture, so I hope to integrate with you fine folks without much trouble ;)

With that said, there's not much I can say about myself. Like many users here, I'm an aspiring writer, but I'll admit that I'm completely new to the creative writing scene. My only experience with writing is derived from academia. Essays, reports, etc., so my writing is dry as dust and lacking in luster. However, in my freshman year of college my English professor at the time insisted that I find a career in creative writing. So...my writing mustn't be that bad, eh?

Anyway, I decided to try out some short stories and see how that goes. I currently have 3 short stories, each in various stages of progress. I also have an idea for a novella or two, but I've shelved those ideas until further notice; I have to at least finish those short stories first!

Whew, I felt I just wrote an essay. I'll keep it short and sweet and end it. I hope to learn a lot while I'm here, but I also hope to bring much to the forum. Cheers!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, dragonsbreath! It's great to have you here.

There is no better writing place on the interwebs than AW, in my opinion. More information regarding writing and publishing than you can shake a stick at, and an active community ranging from newbie writers like yourself to industry pros. You'll love it here, I'm sure!

See you around the boards :)
Izz

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Amerigo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello @dragonsbreath. What genre are your stories?
If your short stories are completed, you have far surpassed me.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I too had my first serious writing and publications in academic writing, and writing fiction (which I've been toying with since shortly after I could actually read functionally) is a different skillset, so I understand your comment about your works being "dry as dust," but I suspect they're actually not. My advice would be to throw yourself into learning all you can from the amazing people here about writing fiction (read the sticky threads, read the threads, read read read, read other boards, read books about writing, read books period) but also learn how and when your non-fiction writing chops work for you. And learn how and when they don't :p

Reactions: kinokonoronin
Status
Not open for further replies.