Hey all. I'm new and I can't do titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsYetUntitled

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all

Happy to meet everyone, my name's Jess. I spent a few weeks lurking here and decided to take the dive and join in.

I used to write all the time as a teenager, but for the last decade I've worked in the charity sector and that was really the only writing I was doing. So I was writing fundraising copy, case studies for websites, press releases etc. I was furloughed for a few months last year and started writing short stories again. Now I'm trying to find my way back into writing for myself, to express and explore my own ideas rather than work to someone else's requirements.

One of those short stories has turned into a far longer story I've managed to map to it's final act, but in trying to come up with the ending I've written myself into so many narrative walls I may have a concussion. So I decided to go looking for pointers and information from people who know what they're doing, and this place seemed great for that.

You never forget your first love, and mine was the Discworld series but I also love Margaret Atwood's work. Also Kazuo Ishiguro, I must reread Remains of the Day at least once a year.

So happy to meet you all, and I hope I can offer something more than just endless questions while I'm here.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Welcome!

Ah, first loves...mine's Clive Barker's 'The Great and Secret Show'. That book showed me the only limit is the imagination.

You have come to the right place for pointers and all things writerly. Lots of good folks here too.

PS...remember to have fun!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, Jess! We're glad to have you here :)

You'll find this to be a great writing community, I'm sure. Tons of information on all aspects of writing and publishing, and lots of writerly people, too. You'll get that ending figured out in no time! As I'm sure you've already discovered from your lurking, AW is a sprawling metropolis but it's well worth the effort to get to know the place.

See you around the boards
Izz

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

DL Chance

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I'm new in town myself.

But if I may, your opening can often also suggest your ending. At least, it works for me.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.