SF short story venues that build credibility

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I'm building a list of sci-fi short story venues that have some visibility/cross-pollination for authors who also write novels. I'm starting with SFWA listed markets, but honestly, I'm more interested in what message might be sent to a publisher by having a story in a particular venue than qualifying for SFWA. Does anyone have ideas as to other markets with broad circulation or good name recognition? Alternately, how might one establish tiers within the SFWA listed markets by circulation/name recognition? I'd like to pursue venues that connote "writer who might have the skills to finish longer work." Finally, any thoughts as to whether this might be a misguided notion? I see a fair number of writers who publish both novels and short stories, and I'd like some synergy between my efforts in both fields.

Right now, my list is fairly short: Asimov's, Apex, Strange Horizons, Daily Science Fiction, and Clarkesworld. I don't think I'd be ready to give up on a story if it was serially rejected by only five venues, so I need to expand this list at least to ten. Escape Pod, for instance, attracts me because of the crossover list of names that are both novelists and featured there. However, the audio-only venue makes me pause. Writing for voice strikes me as different than writing for the page, though of course, the ear is always engaged when writing.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
What kind of benefit are you looking for? Your sig mentions you're on sub; does that mean you're already agented?

I don't think a short story sale is going to make a publisher buy a book they wouldn't already buy, unless you'd received a major amount of press for it (i.e. they can convert your name to $$$ independent of the book itself). But I've been known to be wrong. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Analog, F&SF, Weird Tales, Interzone, Black Static, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, Tor Novellas.
Have a look at a recent Year's Best Collection and see where the stories previously appeared.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Having short story sales is unlikely to help sell a novel to a publisher or get you an agent. Just pick markets that look professional and pay well.

Short story sales can help shift a few copies of a novel if you're self-published, but that's purely about number of readers of the short story rather than prestige. Online markets that pay well are the best bet for that, because they have a high readership over time. Print markets tend to stop getting readers after the issue is no longer the new one. Online markets with low pay are likely to not have readers.

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
thank you, Waylander, for the suggestions, and Polenth for the perspective.

What kind of benefit are you looking for? Your sig mentions you're on sub; does that mean you're already agented?

I don't think a short story sale is going to make a publisher buy a book they wouldn't already buy, unless you'd received a major amount of press for it (i.e. they can convert your name to $$$ independent of the book itself). But I've been known to be wrong. :)

Yes, I'm agented. I've had a fair number of full requests from big publishers that haven't yielded bids/offers. No number of short stories will change that outcome. However, a fair number of publishers didn't request the full even though I think I'm a good match for their house style and editorial focus. I guess I'm just looking to increase the likelihood of a full request since I believe that eventually the manuscript will find the right home.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As lizmonster says, short story credits are unlikely to affect the response you get from an agented novel submission. The novel sub has to stand on its own. Once upon a time it was expected and usual for new writers to start out selling short stories before they stepped up to novels, and a list of good publications was valuable, as you say, to establish their credibility. But that time is long, long past. Novels and short stories are pretty much totally different markets, and success in one is largely unrelated to success in the other.

Still, if you really want to publish short stories, I recommend look at the lists of award nominees over the last few years and see where they were published. That should give you some places to check out.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
One big problem you've got is the timeframe. Some pubs will read shorts pretty quickly, but others can take months to get through their submissions.

And no, I don't think selling a short to a good pro market will improve the chances for your novel. Which is no reason not to do it, of course.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One big problem you've got is the timeframe. Some pubs will read shorts pretty quickly, but others can take months to get through their submissions.

Vouch. Back when Tor was open to unsolicited short submissions, they could take a year to respond.

And, very few short story markets allow you to submit to multiple markets at the same time.

ClarkWorld was one of the faster ones. My submissions to them would typically get knifed in 2 days.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Agree with the others. I don't think short-story sales will have any effect on your novel sub (actually don't I think short-story sales have any effect on short-story subs. *stares sadly at latest Rs*). But it's soul destroying a fun challenge to try to get a short story published in a pro or semi-pro market. Do you use the Submission Grinder? You can search by Market Qualification (SFWA or whatever), and/or Minimum Pay (you can put in 8 ¢/word for pro-pay markets). This will also bring up anthos and contests and whatnot. It's verrah handy!

litdawg

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with the others. I don't think short-story sales will have any effect on your novel sub (actually don't I think short-story sales have any effect on short-story subs. *stares sadly at latest Rs*). But it's soul destroying a fun challenge to try to get a short story published in a pro or semi-pro market. Do you use the Submission Grinder? You can search by Market Qualification (SFWA or whatever), and/or Minimum Pay (you can put in 8 ¢/word for pro-pay markets). This will also bring up anthos and contests and whatnot. It's verrah handy!

I appreciate the perspective from people. I think my instincts have been formed by the literary world, where it is very common for short stories to precede novels, and where short story collections often serve as author debuts.

I used to track submissions through Duotrope when I was a more active poet. I stumbled across Submission Grinder once I became active on AW and love it as a free alternative that seems to be very well populated with data for SF magazines.And searching by pro rates is probably the right placeholder for the less tangible quality I'm looking for.

As regards wait times, Introversion, I'm a survivor of scholarly journals and poetry ones where six months to a year was practically the norm. I'm agog at publications that get back to people within four months.