Biden Day 1: rejoin Paris climate accord, rescind Muslim travel ban, etc

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/16/...rs-paris-climate-accord-muslim-ban/index.html

CNN said:
President-elect Joe Biden plans to sign roughly a dozen executive orders, including rejoining the Paris climate accord and ending the travel ban on predominantly Muslim countries, on his first day in office, according to a memo from incoming chief of staff Ron Klain.

He'll also sign orders halting evictions and student loan payments during the coronavirus pandemic and issuing a mask mandate on all federal property in an effort to either roll back moves made by the Trump administration or advance policy in a way that was impossible in the current administration.

One of Biden's most common campaign trail promises was to tackle an issue on his first day in office -- a pledge he usually made to either contrast himself with President Donald Trump or highlight just how important he believed an issue to be. These promises were made on everything from climate change to immigration to foreign policy, and many are reflected in Klain's Saturday memo, which was first reported by the New York Times.

"During the campaign, President-elect Biden pledged to take immediate action to start addressing these crises and build back better," Klain writes. "As president, he will keep those promises and sign dozens of executive orders, presidential memoranda, and directives to Cabinet agencies in fulfillment of the promises he made."

Beyond executive actions in his first days in office, the memo outlines that Biden plans to send Congress a large-scale immigration plan within his first 100 days in office. The plan would offer a pathway to citizenship for the millions of undocumented immigrations currently in the United States.

Biden rolled out his first legislative priority this week, announcing a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package that included direct payments to Americans. Biden made clear during a speech on the plan that he wanted it to be the first issue Congress takes up after he is inaugurated on January 20.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I look forward to seeing a return of sanity.

It's sad, though, that so much of his early actions will be damage control and attempts to undo the harm done by the festering bubo that previously occupied the Oval Office.

Last edited:

Vonsey

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't the 'Muslim Ban' a reinstatement of an Obama-era policy? It's nearly impossible to sort through the propaganda and fact from both sides nowadays

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Here, have some back-up facts.

It was not a "reinstatement." It was a hardening against some countries that had been identified by the previous administration as problematic. Travel was restricted, not banned.

*rump's policy was absolutely religiously motivated, and was the first major salvo in what became and assault against religious liberties nationwide.

Let's not "both sides" this when one side involved actual fascism. It's quite possible to sort "propaganda" from fact. I did it in less than 15 seconds.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I see lizmonster already posted the politifact site re the claim in post #3.

I agree that all politics involves a certain amount of spin and emphasis on some events (and interpretations thereof) over others, but I am not sure what you mean by saying it is hard to separate facts from propaganda, or what you mean by "both sides," as if politics on the Right have been anything approaching "normal" over the past four years. Facts don't have "sides." It has never been easier to fact check and to assess the relative accuracy of different sources of news and information. It is also relatively easy to assess the biases and accuracy of various media outlets and to cross check information (and the spin) presented in news stories.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to interject a moderation note:

I'm not putting up with Trump cultic bullshit.

From anyone. At all. There is no "both sides" to white supremacist hate-mongering.

Vonsey

Registered
Reaction score
okay... guess I'm avoiding this forum. Appreciate the responses

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I saw something on TV this evening that I had almost forgotten existed: a presidential press conference. I mean a real one, where reporters from different news outlets, not just a hand picked few, asked questions, and the POTUS actually answered them and not once told anyone they were "terrible," "fake" or "nasty." Oh, and he stayed to the end instead of angrily storming out.

The last four years have been surreal in so many ways, but some of #45's behavior was so ubiquitous it became almost normalized too.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I had the best night of sleep I had for five years. There is a tiny bit of hope in my heart. Our long national nightmare is finally over. Not that we're out of the woods, of course.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The incoming Biden administration was shocked - that's the word they used - to learn that the Republicans have no plan and never bothered to make one to distribute coronavirus vaccines.

Nothing!

The new administration will have to start from scratch, long months after the vaccines were developed and ready.

"There is nothing for us to rework. We are going to have to build everything from scratch," one source said.

Another source described the moment that it became clear the Biden administration would have to essentially start from "square one" because there simply was no plan as: "Wow, just further affirmation of complete incompetence."

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure the Delusionists will see that as further "proof" that the virus is a communist hoax and refuse to vaccine.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The incoming Biden administration was shocked - that's the word they used - to learn that the Republicans have no plan and never bothered to make one to distribute coronavirus vaccines.

Nothing!

The new administration will have to start from scratch, long months after the vaccines were developed and ready.

They had a plan. It was to ignore the pandemic as much as possible, because early on it appeared that the virus was mostly affecting "blue" states and big cities.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...-states-is-worse-than-previously-thought.html