Term for old timey cavewomen/jungle women animal skin bikini top

thundermaker313

Registered
Reaction score
Writing a 1950’s pulp sci-fi story. Think “Buck Rogers Meets the Amazon Warrior Women of Zenob-9”. Something that would be right at home in the pages of “Fantastic Story,” “Out of This World Adventures” or “Startling Stories”.

So, what’s a good word for the animal skin bikini top that old timey cavewomen/jungle women wore?

Examples:
6O8O0pR.jpg
kLdFB7u.jpg
hIg0lFb.jpg
vfepPxr.jpg
Gy17wUc.jpg
VdIBXPm.jpg

Raquel Welch wore a fury bikini, which is inelegant a little on the nose. Blouse is more of a shirt. Tank top isn't right at all. Halter top makes me think of a co-ed doing jello shots. Bodice maybe? I don't know.

Something that pulp writer in the 50's would use.

Thanks.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Posted twice.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with 'an animal-skin bikini top'?

Don't overthink it.

Your readers are in the 2020s not in the 1950s and I doubt anyone would query your using the word bikini-top.

Reactions: Maryn

Averhoes

Registered
Reaction score
So, what’s a good word for the animal skin bikini top that old timey cavewomen/jungle women wore?

Frankly, judging from Native Americans and other traditional peoples about whom we have knowledge, cavewomen/jungle women probably did not wear anything above the waist in warm weather.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
She wore a shift of leather to cover her bosom that looked like it came from an animal considerably smaller than her chest.

The simple leather jerkin plunged low, revealing cleavage, and ended well before her navel.

It was hot, so she wore nothing but a simple skin wrap to cover her waist, revealing the full bounty of her youth.

Or some such.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
She wore a leather wrap around her waist that fell just below the curve of her bottom and bound her chest in a tanned hide with a strap over one shoulder that had the effect of propping her breasts up like ripe fruits on a shelf.

The leather kit she wore was used and worn, cut away until it almost protected her decency, but did not restrict movement of any sort. If you had come upon her from behind on the trail, you might have thought her naked.

Her simple leather clothing, strips, really, wouldn't have protected her from tall grass, much less thorns.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
And, of course, top and bottom work just fine. We've all seen so many of these that they are culturally inculcated. If you said nothing at all, most would picture this, and the ones that don't will be happier with what they do see.

ladyofthecastle

Registered
Reaction score
I think a bandeau is what you are looking for, you could also call it a crop top. But I just don’t think crop top has the right feel.