• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I want to have a career in tv, film, and books

Pinkarray

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new writer who wants to have a writing career in children's books, novels, tv, and films but I don't know where to start. Do you think it would be easier to try and get my books published by a publisher/agent before I start my career in screenwriting or the other way around? I know how hard it is to get representation, that's why I'm asking if a certain field is easier to get representation in because if I get representation in one field like books, then it would be easier to break into screenwriting, right?

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I have multiple friends who got degrees in screenwriting...and still do not have screenwriting jobs. Even with their connections in acting and from college, it still hasn't happened. It's very much depends on who you know, it's very difficult. Compare that to getting an agent to be traditionally published for books, where who you are doesn't really matter, as long as the book is good and is sellable. Granted, knowing agents/editors can help you get your foot in the door but it's not as required​ as it is w/screenwriting.

Pinkarray

Registered
Reaction score
I have multiple friends who got degrees in screenwriting...and still do not have screenwriting jobs. Even with their connections in acting and from college, it still hasn't happened. It's very much depends on who you know, it's very difficult. Compare that to getting an agent to be traditionally published for books, where who you are doesn't really matter, as long as the book is good and is sellable. Granted, knowing agents/editors can help you get your foot in the door but it's not as required​ as it is w/screenwriting.

I do know that it's recommended to get a manager if you are a new screenwriter because managers can help kick start your career and they may have connections with people in the film/tv industry but I wonder if getting a manager is as easy as trying to get a book published?

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
You'll most likely be working on your projects for several years before achieving much success. Start with the project that interests you most, as that will probably be what sustains you during the lean times.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I would think it might be best to start with writing, because, when it's done, you have a project to show people as evidence of what you can do.
If you have a script for TV or a movie, no-one's going to get the full effect until you actually get someone to select, produce, and show it.
When you're starting out, I assume that a bird in the hand is more useful than rustling noises in the bush.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a new writer who wants to have a writing career in children's books, novels, tv, and films but I don't know where to start.
Start with a day-job that pays the bills. It’s incredibly hard to earn a living by writing, even with a track-record that you don’t yet have.

I’m not trying to be discouraging, but I see published authors with decades-long careers saying what I just said, and I believe them.