• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Man self-medicates with magic mushrooms, gets them growing in his blood instead

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Article about it, here is the case report on it if you have the ability to access scholarly articles.

A man with bi-polar disorder read that psilocybin can be an effective treatment for various mental conditions and decided to try it out. Instead of eating/drinking it, he injected the tea instead. As one could guess, it didn't work out as he hoped. (bolding mine)

Laboratory studies revealed thrombocytopenia, hyponatremia, hyperkalemia, hypochloremia,hypocalcemia, acute renal insufficiency, and acute liver injury. Cardiac workup revealedelevated cardiac enzymes and his electrocardiogram was remarkable for sinus tachycardia andearly repolarization. Mr. X was then transferred to the ICU for evidence of multi-organ failureand he was started on intravenous fluids, multiple vasopressors, broad spectrum antibiotics, andanti-fungal medications. His hospital course was further complicated by septic shock and acuterespiratory failure requiring intubation on hospital day two and disseminated intravascularcoagulation requiring plasmapheresis. Cultures confirmed bacteremia (ultimately cultured asBrevibacillus) and fungemia (ultimately cultured as Psilocybe cubensis – i.e. the species ofmushroom he had injected was now growing in his blood). He was treated for a total of 22 daysin the hospital with eight of them in the ICU. At the time of writing, he is currently still beingtreated with a long-term regimen of daptomycin, meropenem, and voriconazole.

As they mention in the conclusion, there is potentional for therapeutic uses of drugs one normally do for fun (I mean, just look at ketamine), but they need to be further studied (also maybe don't inject yourself with random things).

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
*shivers uncontrollably*

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Eee-yargh!

Makes you think of those photos of ants(?) where a fungus has infected and overtaken their systems and turned them into zombies, the final act of which is the fungus growing out of creature.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Idiotic

Drugs have to be carefully prepared to be injectable. A decoction (I am sure I spelled this word right--even looked it up and put on my glasses so I could painfully examine it one letter at a time, but it is still redlined by spellcheck >.< ) or infusion of mushroom is not purified and formulated for injection. Even without an issue of fungi actually growing in the body, it's probably loaded with bacteria and harsh chemicals that damage tissues.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Eee-yargh!

Makes you think of those photos of ants(?) where a fungus has infected and overtaken their systems and turned them into zombies, the final act of which is the fungus growing out of creature.

Cordyceps! There's a ton of species of cordyceps that work on a ton of different species of bugs, like how there's different types of worms for different mammals. There's been a few big pieces of zombie media where cordyceps (or something akin to it) are the things making the zombies. The closest we have w/humans is T. gondii​ but it doesn't affect your behavior THAT much (probably).

Idiotic

Drugs have to be carefully prepared to be injectable. A decoction (I am sure I spelled this word right--even looked it up and put on my glasses so I could painfully examine it one letter at a time, but it is still redlined by spellcheck >.< ) or infusion of mushroom is not purified and formulated for injection. Even without an issue of fungi actually growing in the body, it's probably loaded with bacteria and harsh chemicals that damage tissues.

The Google Dictionary extension for Chrome recognizes it (it's great, double click on a word and it defines it/has a pronunciation thing) so you definitely spelled it right lol. But yes, I imagine that the guy had no idea what he was doing and was injecting a ton of bad stuff into himself. But I doubt that this is something that is done enough that there's info on how to do it safely (compared to all sorts of other drugs, where there's info on harm reduction to use them safely). Most people just eat/drink shrooms. Giving yourself injections is not fun.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh. Natural isn't always best. Still, saving this doofus's life was probably a welcome break for the intensivists from dealing with COVID all day.

I want to know what the pathologists said when they got that result back. "He's grown WHATicybe cubensis???" I had an idea for a medical journal, once, that would be called the Journal of Fucked Up Results. It'd be full of cases like this.