• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Macaques acquired a barter economy in Bali, Indonesia

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Acquisition of object-robbing and object/food-bartering behaviours: a culturally maintained token economy in free-ranging long-tailed macaques
Abstract
The token exchange paradigm shows that monkeys and great apes are able to use objects as symbolic tools to request specific food rewards. Such studies provide insights into the cognitive underpinnings of economic behaviour in non-human primates. However, the ecological validity of these laboratory-based experimental situations tends to be limited. Our field research aims to address the need for a more ecologically valid primate model of trading systems in humans. Around the Uluwatu Temple in Bali, Indonesia, a large free-ranging population of long-tailed macaques spontaneously and routinely engage in token-mediated bartering interactions with humans. These interactions occur in two phases: after stealing inedible and more or less valuable objects from humans, the macaques appear to use them as tokens, by returning them to humans in exchange for food. Our field observational and experimental data showed (i) age differences in robbing/bartering success, indicative of experiential learning, and (ii) clear behavioural associations between value-based token possession and quantity or quality of food rewards rejected and accepted by subadult and adult monkeys, suggestive of robbing/bartering payoff maximization and economic decision-making. This population-specific, prevalent, cross-generational, learned and socially influenced practice may be the first example of a culturally maintained token economy in free-ranging animals.

This article is part of the theme issue ‘Existence and prevalence of economic behaviours among non-human primates'.
Amazing. I can't wait to read more from this journal.

This is so far past, I scratch your back, you scratch mine, or giving food to a potential mate.

I can see how it might have evolved: macaque steals camera and tourist tries to lure the animal back with food.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read an article a few weeks ago about crows, I think in New Zealand?, that had been trained to pick up small bits of trash like cigarette butts and exchange them for food. Interesting that these macaques self-trained themselves.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So they steal a person's stuff, and ransom it back . . . sounds somewhat familiar. Just what we need, another criminal class of primate--for goodness sake keep `em away from keyboards . . . oh wait, too late . . .

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
What amazes me is their discriminating eye in picking out exactly which objects are going to be the most valuable items to ransom.