Kindle problems

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
I have downloaded and installed both Kindle Create and Kindle preview on my computer. (Desktop, running Windows 10, release 20H2)

I want to see what the e-version of my manuscript (all formatting removed, just plain-vanilla Times New Roman font) will look as an e-book, so I fired up Preview. The program opens, I select the file, it reports that it's performing the conversion ... and then it just disappears. The computer doesn't crash -- everything else remains unchanged but, suddenly, Kindle Preview isn't running any more.

So then I tried Kindle Create. That's even worse. The program open. I tell it I want to set up a file for re-flowable text. As soon as I select the file I want to open -- the program just goes away.
I opened Task Manager as a check -- the programs aren't running somewhere in the background. They just disappeared.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this thread to the Self-Publishing forum where you are more likely to have responses.

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this thread to the Self-Publishing forum where you are more likely to have responses.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if I should put it in "Self-Publishing" or "Tech." So I chose "Tech."

Oops.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this will be useful or not, but I hate to see you get no answer at all. I'm afraid I'm not good at tech, so I can't be any direct help. But if you call Amazon, they'll probably walk you through getting the Kindle app to work.

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
I found the answer -- I think. I let Windows check Kindle Create for compatibility, and Windows decreed that it should run with compatibility set for Windows 8.

And it ran.

However, no such luck with the Kindle Previewer.

Did someone say "Call Amazon"? I've never seen any way to contact Amazon, especially by telephone.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
You should be sure you have the latest update of Windows. Then uninstall Kindle Previewer & reinstall it to make sure you have the latest version.

Your ebook should be .epub. I've found that Calibre creates .epubs which passes all the W3C specifications.

Reactions: AW Admin

RGS-Author

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I haven't had that specific issue, but Kindle Create does indeed have its problems. My first novel was a nightmare for several reasons. For one, it began life as a manuscript to be sent to agents; double-spaced, half-inch indents, etc... On top of that, I started it in LibreOffice Writer, then wound up buying MS word.

So between all of that, yeah, the first one was a doozie.

What Kindle Create pulled on me was:

Inserting a carriage return where there wasn't supposed to be one.
Spreading a three- or four-word sentence across the entire page.
Taking a page that began at the top and bumping it down to the halfway point or further.

It definitely has its little quirks.