Should I capitalize "vampire" if all other supernatural species in my book are capitalized?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Should I capitalize "vampire" if all other supernatural species in my book are capitalized?

I'm writing a supernatural book. Normally, I don't see the word "vampire" capitalized in other books, so I haven't been doing that in mine. However, my book features other supernatural creatures like Kitsune, Ents, and some I made up (Sunling and Sunpire). I capitalize all of these, but not "vampire". I feel, however that I should capitalize "vampire" so it matches the other supernatural species in the book.

What do you think? Thank you in advance.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Here's your question in alternate ways of thinking about it:

Why don't vampires rate capitalization, if the other species do?

or

Why do the other species need capitalization, if vampires do not?

Think about those and see if the inconsistency makes sense to you.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Your book, your rules. Whatever best fits the story.

On the other hand, Sage makes a good point. Are vampires even considered a species, since (in most of the books that feature them) they reproduce by biting people instead of sexually. If a vampire infects an Elf, is the Elf now a different species? Or would they still be considered an Elf, just with disgusting eating habits? From the way you're describing your story, your Sunpire would be capped because they're a new species, while the vampire who sired them wouldn't. I hope this makes sense.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Your book, your rules. Whatever best fits the story.

On the other hand, Sage makes a good point. Are vampires even considered a species, since (in most of the books that feature them) they reproduce by biting people instead of sexually. If a vampire infects an Elf, is the Elf now a different species? Or would they still be considered an Elf, just with disgusting eating habits? From the way you're describing your story, your Sunpire would be capped because they're a new species, while the vampire who sired them wouldn't. I hope this makes sense.

Well, in my world, biting is illegal unless both parties (the vampire and the one getting bitten) willingly agree to it. Also in my world, vampires reproduce like humans do. (The book's MG so that won't be mentioned.) Getting bitten by a vampire is a basically a change to your species, although some of that human DNA stays. For example, my MC was born a human because his now-vampire dad was born a human, but the dad was bitten by a vampire.

Anyways, bottom-line, vampires are considered a species in my world, so I should capitalize it, right?

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
If, in your particular universe, all species names are capitalized and vampires are considered a species, then yes, Vampires should be capitalized. As I said, it's your world and you make the rules. However, ideally, the rules should be consistent within the context of the story. If you'd rather not cap it, then, as Sage suggested, you should provide the readers with a reason why vamps don't rate a cap V. Most won't even notice, but there's always that one...

This may or may not be relevant to your situation, but it can still serve as an example. Back in the '80s, a well-known and popular SF writer wrote a series that took place on a world that humans shared with intelligent anthropomorphic animals. I don't recall if the animal species were capped--Dog, Horse, Wombat, etc. I don't believe they were. I do remember the insult "son of a bitch" was frequently used by humans and anthromorphs alike. Which made me wonder what that world's canines had done to become the butt of such a vicious insult, and why they tolerated having themselves and their women disparaged like that. Why not "son of a mare"? Or "sow"? Or "ass", which would have covered everything on so many levels? The series ran for around seven volumes and this was never addressed. I suspect the writer didn't think through the implications of such usage in that particular society, or that there would even be any. With the Internet, this would be publically pounced on today, and the writer would have to think fast.

My answer? if vampires are considered a species and species names are capped, then cap it. If not, provide a reason. Always cover your butt.