Struggling to find comps

bmr1591

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some comps to my upper MG novel. Here's a short blurb. If you have anything that's in the same vein, tackles themes in the same way, etc. I'd love to hear them! Been searching for a while now and nothing seems to really connect. While I have a YA novel that would compare, at least atmospherically, an agent probably wouldn't be the biggest fan of comps outside of my genre.

When technological giant, Cray Corp, sends a group of teenagers to summer camp through a portal, fourteen year old Jacoby’s struggle with acceptance and self-worth immediately amplify. An overgrown forest stretches for miles with no cabins in sight. To make matters worse, this place isn’t even on Earth. A voice speaks from the darkness, telling them they’ll have to navigate across this strange new planet, Trinity, and find a hidden portal if they ever want to get back home. To force the teens to participate in their experiment, leaders at Cray Corp ignite the forest, sending Jacoby and his friends running for their lives.

Moments from death, Jacoby is rescued by a shrouded outsider, but this salvation comes at a cost. With so many lost to the flames, other survivors question why Jacoby, of all people, would be saved by this stranger. Some even believe he’s working with Cray and is involved in their current turmoil. Now, as Jacoby wrestles with the value he brings to his group, he must also prove his innocence or be left to wander this new world alone, where fearsome beasts and natives seek to take his life. That is, if the other survivors don’t kill him first.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Just sayin' '14 y.o.' seems mighty young for this kind of story - crossing a planet, fighting off fearsome beasts, not to mention forming a cohesive, workable group. All with only a bunch of young teenagers?

Aside from that, comps:
it's an oldie, but Heinlein's 'Tunnel in the Sky' sounds similar, except that those teenagers are older and have some training.

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score
I have a YA novel that would compare, at least atmospherically, an agent probably wouldn't be the biggest fan of comps outside of my genre.

I don't know -- I've seen some comps that do this. You could say it's like an MG version of the YA title.

I don't have any good comp title suggestions for you, but if you can't find anything that fits perfectly, maybe focus on comps that relate to specific aspects of your novel. For example, you might say it's an upper middle grade with high stakes that will appeal to fans of (insert comp here) and a science fiction adventure that will appeal to fans of (insert other comp here).

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I hate searching for comps. I have no ideas for you, but wanted to wish you luck. There is a lot going on in this book and it might fit as a YA. It sounds like a good read, but the phrase "Jacoby and his friends" jumped out at me. I didn't thin they were friends but rather randomly selected (or maybe not so random) teens. Perhaps look at the dystopian novels that set the trend. This feels like one of those pitches. Oh, and I want to see those teens puzzling out Cray's game, after all this ain't no summer camp. Again, good luck.