Computer (accesssory) question

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
Reading through threads here that seemed interesting, I have a sense that some members here write while traveling, or even travel to write. I hope some road warriors can give me some advice.

I have a notebook computer. (Two, in fact -- it's a long story.) With the computer, the power brick, a mouse and a couple of spare batteries, my portable cellular WiFi hotspot, and a small external USB hub, it's not light. I can carry it -- and I do -- but there are times when I might like to travel lighter if I'm not anticipating having to do serious work but still want to be able to fire up a machine if the muse comes calling.

I also have a Windows 10 tablet, which is a whole lot lighter and more portable than a full-size notebook computer. However, I can't deal with trying to do work using the on-screen virtual keyboard, so I have a Bluetooth mouse and a small Bluetooth keyboard. I have been looking for some sort of small computer carry bag/case that will fit these components so I can keep them all together and somewhat protected when I'm on the road.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I have what I call my go-bag that I bought several years ago. It's got plenty of room for stuff. I carry my diabetes emergency kit, daily meds, a spare charging battery, earbuds, and business cards - and that's just the little stuff. Inside the main body, I carry a Samsung Galaxy Tab S plus a 13-inch HP laptop (with charger brick). I've also got room for several notebooks. I did a blog post review (with affiliate links) here: http://www.bobmuellerwriter.com/review-5-11-tactical-rush-delivery-lima-messenger-bag/

The review is four years old but still holds true, I think.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Which Windows 10 tablet? Some can "snap on" to a keyboard so it's kinda like a laptop, while other ones can have a cover that has a keyboard built in. My ancient Samsung Galaxy Tab has a Logitech case/cover that has a built-in keyboard and it lets you "fold" the case so it's a stand. This is a really light/thin bluetooth keyboard, so if you like scissor/butterfly switches it's a good option, there's also this which has a trackpad built in.

Your best bet would be to get a nice laptop case (like the padded sleeve kind), which usually has pockets you can put some small things in, and then get a backpack/bag/purse/whatever that can fit the case. Go to your dollar store/daiso and get some zippered cloth pouches you can put things in, too. This is a great mouse, as it's little, cheap, runs forever on 1 battery, uses the unifying reciever (or mine does, at least), and there's giant bins of them at your local staples/office max/best buy, so if you lose it it's no big deal and you don't feel bad having it get jostled in your bag. I have a Jansport bookbag and it fits my work laptop + mouse + power brick + notebook + bunch of other random stuff no problem, though it makes people think I'm a high schooler, idk if that would be a problem for you lol.

Full disclosure: I may or may not have worked at That Company, so I might be biased towards their products, but they're legitimately good and there's a reason they're #1 in their category.

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
Chase, I have two of those mice. But a tablet computer doesn't have a standard USB port, that's why I use a Bluetooth mouse (also from "that company"). I have multiple computer cases for standard size laptops -- I could use one of them, but the tablet kind of rattles around inside them. I was hoping there might be something a bit more tablet sized.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple of bags/backpacks from Victoronix, the Swiss Army people. I've had them for two decades or more, been tossed on planes, in wing baggage pods, banged around in Jeeps and other off-road vehicles and never had any issues with them or the contents. Not the cheapest, but over the years they have more than earned back their price.

Jeff

Reactions: Introversion

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
I get tired easily carrying a lot of weight. I've got a Samsung Note phone and an OLD fold-up portable keyboard, similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWLJNPQ/?tag=absowrit-20

A friend gave me a tiny folding phone stand, like this:

I use the stylus or just touch instead of a mouse. The whole thing fits into my tiny purse.

I went to a write-in back before the pandemic and folks were wondering where my laptop was. As I opened up my kit and started unfolding things, they were shocked. It was very comfortable and I was productive. Since the phone IS the hotspot... I can set up anywhere.

Just for another thought.

Reactions: cmhbob