Slang word for “Black Market” foods during WWII

quietwriter321

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. While researching a story set during World War II, I came across an item—a section of someone’s diary, I believe—where they used a slang term for illegally acquired meat. For the life of me, I can’t recall where I saw the term.

What was the term for food bought on the black market during World War II?

Thanks in advance to all who might help with this question.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I have to offer is decent (I hope) guesses: rationed, contraband, bootlegged, under-the-counter, smuggled, illicit, unauthorized, clandestine...

I'm not a linguist by any means, but the term black market existed before WWII, when its use grew exponentially with the onset of rationing.

Maryn, who's bought a black-market item or two in her day

quietwriter321

Registered
Reaction score
All I have to offer is decent (I hope) guesses: rationed, contraband, bootlegged, under-the-counter, smuggled, illicit, unauthorized, clandestine...

I'm not a linguist by any means, but the term black market existed before WWII, when its use grew exponentially with the onset of rationing.

Maryn, who's bought a black-market item or two in her day

Thank you. It seems I haven’t made myself clear enough. It’s not a synonym I seek, but a specific term for rationed food items during WWII—beef in particular, in this instance—and I came across it last year as I read a journal/diary book written by a WWII veteran. I’ve searched the Internet to the best of my ability (without much to go on, mind you), and I was hoping to not have to read the book again to find the author’s one-time use of it. It seems that’s exactly what I’ll need to do. If and when I discover the word, I’ll post it here for all to see. Thanks again!

EDIT TO ADD: Unfortunately, the book has no index where I might try to look up the word, which, if memory serves me correctly, began with the letter “b.”

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean bully or bully beef? That's just another term for corned beef.

Or barrow-boys? Market traders.

Or the barras. That's a Glasgow area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elenitsa

quietwriter321

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean bully or bully beef? That's just another term for corned beef.

Or barrow-boys? Market traders.

Or the barras. That's a Glasgow area.

Thank you, but no, it’s none of those you suggested. Again, it’s a term for food bought on the black market in the United States during World War II. The reference to it I read used it to describe some illegally purchased beef. But I believe anyone could use the same term for foods other than beef, although I must verify that presumption.

The veteran who wrote the book was not a talented writer. Their diary/journal book is a tedious read, but I’m slogging through it again. I’m taking notes this time, as I ought to have done the first time, so at least I will gain something from the effort.

When I rediscover the term I seek, I’ll post it here for everyone's edification.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A quick Google throws up 'bootleg beef'.

Good luck.

Last edited:

KitCarruthers

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I can recommend a title for vernacular working-class life in WWII America: 'Wartime Shipyard'. A classic of sociology; also a fun and fascinating read.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can recommend a title for vernacular working-class life in WWII America: 'Wartime Shipyard'. A classic of sociology; also a fun and fascinating read.
KitCarruthers, the original posted their question nearly two years ago, so they're probably not going to see your suggestion (or they've probably moved on and don't need it any more). It's a good idea to check whether a thread is active before you reply to it.

Reactions: Trying To Be Good

KitCarruthers

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize. Terrible failing on my part. My eyes always go to the topic rather than any numbers associated with the header of the topic.

There are always a whole bunch of numbers on web-pages, which I never bother with.

Is there some way I can sort threads so that I am more concurrent?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, Kit. And don't worry about being in trouble. It's common for recent arrivals and we cut 'em some slack.

The way to not see old posts is to visit often enough that the New posts button, top center, doesn't get you an unmanageable amount of content. If you just go to the forums that interest you, the odds are good you'll find long-ago posts on the front page, especially the boards that aren't real active. So if that's your preferred method of browsing, you'll have to pay attention to dates.

Maryn, paying attention to figs

quietwriter321

Registered
Reaction score
KitCarruthers, the original posted their question nearly two years ago, so they're probably not going to see your suggestion (or they've probably moved on and don't need it any more). It's a good idea to check whether a thread is active before you reply to it.
Still here. I’ve found the slang word for the black market meat dealers, “meatleggers,” but not the slang word for the black market beef itself.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Still here. I’ve found the slang word for the black market meat dealers, “meatleggers,” but not the slang word for the black market beef itself.
Okay, that term is way more unnerving than I was expecting.