I think I may have gotten myself in a pickle...I need help!

authorbradyphoenix

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I dug myself into a hole that I can't get myself out of, but hear me out as I try to explain my situation:

I registered my debut novel with IngramSpark. I registered my own ISBN with this piece. While I was waiting for my copy to come in the mail, I noticed that the preorder was already populating on many different retail websites, which was great. Once I got my copy, they really messed up the print, only printing 243 of the 326 pages that was approved on the e-verification. I verified with customer service (one of the only good experiences I've had with them) and they also noticed that it was supposed to be 326 pages. They advised me to file a claim and was then informed that it would take 3-5 weeks for them to address. With my launch planned to be in mid-march and I've been patiently waiting for my copy so that I could start the ARC process, my anxieties have skyrocketed with not really much time to wait the 3-5 weeks. So, while in the meantime I set up the ebook through KDP and thought that maybe I should try and set up a paperback through them. I uploaded the files just to prepare myself and then they were approved with the same ISBN number used in IngramSpark. I was unaware that KDP approved the paperback and published the title, so I immediately cancelled it. Now, the posting on Amazon is unavailable for preorder, assuming that it is because of identical ISBNs. I'm freaking out a little bit being a first time author with a debut that I want to go as seamless as I can control. I don't know how to get my preorder back, and I don't even know how to handle IngramSpark and their disappointing service thus far.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Your best bet would be to contact Amazon and say you messed up by using the same ISBN that was already in use for a different edition, that it removed preorders for that other edition, and can they fix it.

In future, don't reuse ISBNs like that. If you have two paperback editions, you need two ISBNs. Also read everything very careful before you submit forms (KDP doesn't just decide to publish paperbacks... you clicked to submit it, whether you remember doing so or not).

I've never dealt with IngramSpark, so I have no idea what you can do about that side other than wait. You have an ebook now though, so you can send ARCs of that.

authorbradyphoenix

Registered
Reaction score
Would it be safe to just re-register a second edition under a new ISBN, and delete the current listing? I've contacted both IngramSpark and KDP customer service and am not getting anywhere with either of them. They both keep saying it's the other platform's responsibility.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Would it be safe to just re-register a second edition under a new ISBN, and delete the current listing? I've contacted both IngramSpark and KDP customer service and am not getting anywhere with either of them. They both keep saying it's the other platform's responsibility.

I have no idea as I've never done it and not seen anyone else here saying they've done it. It would cancel your preorders as I understand it, but there's not usually a penalty to having multiple editions of a book. I would suggest you don't label it "second edition" as that'll just confuse people.