STILL THE KING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR. MACABRE

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that most people on this forum would consider Stephen King to be the greatest horror novelist of all time. His output is very impressive, we have to admit that. Even after he was almost killed in that accident. Maybe that's the inspiration for his last few books, who knows? But I've been reading horror stories since high school(I'm 61), that's a long time. I've tried to read several of his books, THE SHINING, SALEMS LOT, THE STAND, and several of his short stories, but I can't even remember the name of a single story he has contributed to any horror anthology. To me, his novels are too long winded and boring, I've never finished any of them. I read about 1/2 of THE STAND, until the old lady in Nebraska dies(I can't even remember her name), then I put it down. I've seen the tv series of IT, SALEMS LOT, and THE STAND. Yes, I know they all sucked and were a waste of time, but even by giving just the basic facts of those stories, there's nothing "earth shattering" or even "horrifying" in any of his books. They all just seem cliche' and written for the average consumer of horror literature.

I know that I'm in the minority here, but what are your opinions? Is Stephen King over-rated, or is it just me?

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
The bank would say he is not overrated, but I found The Stand to be too long, it was a DNF for me. He is a very talented writer though, and writes under more than one pen name for multiple genres - all reasonably successful.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I read the pre-expanded-edition of The Stand and loved it. I've had varied experiences with his work, but when he hits for me he hits big.

I don't think he can be said to be "overrated" when so many people genuinely enjoy what he produces. He can of course be not to someone's taste, but that's a different thing.

What modern horror do you like?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't simply a matter of taste when it comes to horror; each of us is frightened by different things. When it comes to scaring the bejeebus out of me over everyday things we take for granted, no one has been able to do it quite like Stephen King. A storm drain, yep. A storm grate, yep. Looking out the window in the dead of night, oh yepperrrr.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
I loved The Stand and have reread it twice. I've read a bunch of his short stories which I also enjoyed. There have been some misses, Gerald's Game and the first book of the Dark Tower (The Gunslinger, I think, which did not inspire me to want to read any more of the series), that just didn't work for me. I don't know if I will ever read The Shining simply because I love, love, love the movie, and I understand that it's quite a departure from the source material. That goes for several of the other books turned movies as well. I've read others that were ok but not terribly memorable. That's bound to happen because he is such a prolific writer. But like lizmonster said, when he hits, he hits big.

I prefer Clive Barker, or some Lovecraft to step out of my little world.

Status
Not open for further replies.