• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What are you doing to improve your writing?

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I've grown curious this week about what others are doing to work on their craft. For me, the primary answer is writing - writing and submitting, to be precise. I write everyday, no breaks. Sometimes a lot, sometimes barely a paragraph, but I sit down and try everyday. I spend time on AW, and work a weekly writing prompt in ESYW. I have been watching MasterClass lectures in the evenings - I purchased a MasterClass subscription for son's birthday last May and it came with a buy 1 get 1 deal; he gave me the get one. My son and I watched all of Brandon Sandersons "Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy" lectures that he has published on YouTube. And I am reading a book on worldbuilding by Timothy Hickson - a YouTuber. Honestly, it's a pretty good book, very accessible. Through the past year I have been a beta for three authors, and provided editing for two. And, I don't know if this counts, but I also listen to Audible books when I walk the dog each night.

I haven't taken a formal writing class in years, like 25 years, but I might try that too someday.

What about you?

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I read novels across genres and take notes. They are little notes, for example a couple nights ago I noticed that voices can hold steeliness, not just eyes, and eyes can be dark, even if they're blue... little things like this that work. Grow the expansion pack of 'shows.' Medium things: Chracters should physically touch. It is useful to the story, another sense to bring in. Bigger things too--like the sheer compounding problems that successful novels heap upon their protagonists.

Critique groups--lots of them. The funny thing is, shortcomings I notice in other excerpts are often unrecognized problems in my own. So that's useful to see and work on.

Craft books. I have a few favorites, and have started up a workshop using one of them. (This particular book/practice the impetus for the excerpt I put in literary SYW, to give you an idea.)

It's on my to do list to watch Sanderson's new series. And writing, yes, absolutely. Other things too. Deadlines, contests, accountability groups, and so on.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
At the conclusion and publication of each book I do a postmortem. First, I study the notes my editor left me in an attempt to better understand the intricacies of my language and the art of story telling. Next, I look at what I went through via plotting, writing the first draft, and all the editing passes I make before sending it out for my editor's review. With all this, I ask myself what worked, what could have been better, and what failed, and consider improvements to my process.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, writing. And writing. And writing. And occasionally getting brave enough to share and ask for crits. Not that I write enough each day; I know I don't.

I also realize that writing has nearly ruined reading in the same genres for entertainment. I can't read something now without thinking, "Huh, that was a lovely turn of phrase, let me re-read that and try to understand why it works." Or sometimes, "Well that's clumsy, how did an editor let that get published?" :tongue

I should read more about the craft of writing, but I'm not actually sure I'd learn from it? Not saying "I'm perfect as-is", snort, but I worry that I seem to be an intuitive writer -- I don't consciously think of pacing as I write, or plotting -- and if I'm taught A Set Of Rules for writing, I'm going to get wrapped around the axle and lose whatever voice I have?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Writing the next chapter. Reading novels and how-to books/articles. Taking courses. Critting for others.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
What am I doing to improve my writing?
More of it. :p

That, and always trying to have at least on project on my plate. No more lulls between querying one thing and starting/revising another.