Oh, my goodness -- another newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone -

I'm a semi-retired architect who has been writing for most of my life, but mostly technical papers, reports, and articles for professional magazines. I was a software tester and contributing editor for a PC users group for several years, and I also edited and published a quarterly newsletter for a small non-profit organization for ten years. Currently, I write and edit for an on-line magazine and I'm a moderator on three Internet forums.

And I am now in the process of trying to self-publish my first book. And what a ride it has been. I thought when I finished writing the hard work was over. Little did I know that the writing part was easy. This publishing stuff is HARD. (Or maybe I just make it hard?)

So I'll lurk in the shadows for a bit, and probably pop up once in awhile to ask some really stupid questions.

Thanks for having this place as a resource.

Did I mention that I can't type worth a darn? No?

I canoljfdbvu rt;lf

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Welcome! You should check out the 'Keyboard Smash' game, seems like it would be right up your alley :D

In my opinion, you came to the right place. There is a heck of a lot of knowledge to be had here and a heck of a lot of nice folks.

So, make yourself at home!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, SapereAude!

These forums are, in my opinion, the best writing place on the nets. There is more knowledge here regarding writing and publishing, in all its forms, than you can shake a stick at, and plenty of nice people besides. I'm sure you'll love it here!

See you around the boards (depending on your lurking skills, I guess) :D
Izz

sphynge

Registered
Reaction score
Also new and happy to see a fellow newbie! I love the “semi-retired” phrasing, it makes me dream of the optionality of work... good luck on the publishing journey, I’ll be following intently.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
I love the “semi-retired” phrasing, it makes me dream of the optionality of work...

Being semi-retired ain't all it's cracked up to be. What it means is that I should be retired but can't afford to, and I'm old enough that nobody wants to hire me because of my age (but, of course, they aren't legally allowed to say that).

JimmyB123

Registered
Reaction score
Hi SapereAude
Welcome here. I'm kind of a newbie myself, but have found this group to be extremely friendly. Well, most groups are.
You should check out Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing). It's actually quite easy. The site instructs you step by step or e-book or paperback. It prompts you to enter all of your information in 3 different sections...(all in lay-mans terms). If you have the body of your book in 'Word', you are prompted to upload it. In one of the steps, you are advised to add your cover image, or use their 'cover creator' where it has designs, etc. & recommendations. You're advised to upload your biography & synopsis (Word as well). At the end of it you are prompted to insert the amount $$$ that you want to charge. (they make $$$ recommendations that you can, or not use) It is really an easy to use tool. You can have it ready to publish on the first day. Check it out...Oh yeah It doesn't cost a dime up front and their royalties are around 60% to 70%...

Now for the disclaimer. I just set our books in this site a few months ago, and I get reports of sales as they happen. I am not saying this is the best way to go. This message is purely my opinion of how my experiences have gone. They may be totally different for you...There! LOL

Wow you have an impressive resume. I get, how hard it is to find work as a senior. I was nudged out of a job (out with the old...(but they can't admit to that)) as Environmental Health & Safety Management Representative for a Tier One Corporation, which I had been in their employ for over 25 years. I also couldn't afford to leave, but I made adjustments to my spending & lifestyle (dropped 1 vehicle, travel time diminished, wear levis only LOL etc...) I love it now...with Covid, you can't really spend money anyway...LOL. You're not alone my friend. When I retired I finally had the time to finish my book "The Accidental Brotherhood. It took me a couple of years to finish it, and I was thinking like you are about self publishing, until I found out about Amazon. (I should send Amazon a bill for the plug...LOL),as at the same time I dabbled in Computer Programming Using Excel VBA (Visual Basics for Applications). I actually created a great program that tracks Vital Signs & Dietary Meal Nutritional Values consumed. Over 7000 lines of code later: my wife and myself use it daily, but I need an 'inside connection', to help promote it for millions to the big boys...LOL). So I guess I'm going to rely on my book sales. I do my share of social networking (like this) now and It's really a lot of fun and rewarding. I try to help people whenever I post, so right now I guess it's you. I hope that I gave you some insight that is useful for you.
If you want please feel free to check out my website...also very inexpensive as I created it myself using Vista Print Website Tool. (another plug sheesh) The website has links to my Amazon pages for all of my wifes & my books. pamjimbondy.vistaprintdigital.com
Holy Cow...long winded today.

SapereAude

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently my brain doesn't work like other people's brains work. Everyone says KDP is easy, and I KNOW people who are less intelligent than I am have managed to get books out through KDP -- but I have already decided to go with KDP and I find the process to be convoluted and counter-intuitive in the extreme. I'm sure I'm over-thinking things, but that's the way it strikes me.

BTW -- my browser won't let me log onto your web site. It says the site is configured incorrectly and is not secure.

E. Stirling

Reconstructing Yard No. 400.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the community! As a fellow new person myself, I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

ProseJos

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there! Welcome to AW. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Status
Not open for further replies.