Short story writing samples.

E. Stirling

Reconstructing Yard No. 400.
Registered
Reaction score
Before going any further, I want to say I am brand new here so If I am positing this the wrong area please kindly let me know.

Furthermore My question is really vague but here is it is:

About ten years ago I first got starting writing recreationaly with my dream of one day writing fictional novels to capture stories that have been playing out in my imagination for years now.

But I figured before getting to that point I wanted to experiment and write about historical events that were either not very well documented from a certain perspective or did not have any surviving witnesses. The reason I chose to do some sample writing about what it must have been like to be there is that as a avid fan of history my imagination ran wild on trying to capture those final moments. As there was either very few, or no survivors to keep those moments alive first hand.

To be clear I had no intention of writing these two short stories I have for any real material gain, just through writing my hope was to expose people not only to my style of writing but to also maybe inspire people to learn about these two episodes on their own. Also maybe even bring emotional resonance to nerds like me who have an interest in historical events.

That being said, I also want to know is this normal? These two short stories I have are just that, short stories, no overall universe construction , no over arching grand opera of characters. Just an individual, a event and the after effects. Short and to the point, make of it what you will.

Has any one here ever started by just penning a few samples down and seeing if your intent was met when they are shared? Or am I alone in do such?

Kind regard- E.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Before going any further, I want to say I am brand new here so If I am positing this the wrong area please kindly let me know.

Furthermore My question is really vague but here is it is:

About ten years ago I first got starting writing recreationaly with my dream of one day writing fictional novels to capture stories that have been playing out in my imagination for years now.

But I figured before getting to that point I wanted to experiment and write about historical events that were either not very well documented from a certain perspective or did not have any surviving witnesses. The reason I chose to do some sample writing about what it must have been like to be there is that as a avid fan of history my imagination ran wild on trying to capture those final moments. As there was either very few, or no survivors to keep those moments alive first hand.

To be clear I had no intention of writing these two short stories I have for any real material gain, just through writing my hope was to expose people not only to my style of writing but to also maybe inspire people to learn about these two episodes on their own. Also maybe even bring emotional resonance to nerds like me who have an interest in historical events.

That being said, I also want to know is this normal? These two short stories I have are just that, short stories, no overall universe construction , no over arching grand opera of characters. Just an individual, a event and the after effects. Short and to the point, make of it what you will.

Has any one here ever started by just penning a few samples down and seeing if your intent was met when they are shared? Or am I alone in do such?

Kind regard- E.

Oh, I think that's perfectly normal :) I write all sorts of things, just to get the words coming.

E. Stirling

Registered
Reaction score
Whew, thought I was the only one. I just wrote about half chapter on my first real novel. When I say novel I really mean hobby, I really write to record the worlds and stories I come up with. Listening to music and writing to a soundtrack is a favorite of mine, I literally could provide a soundtrack to every piece of fiction I've written.

I am interested in what other's do in terms of writing, maybe even swapping short excerpts or stories? I write for fun so I really am curious about the matter.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's one of the great things about the internet, E. Stirling. You realize you're not the only one at anything!

Once you have 50 substantive posts, you can put your writing up at the appropriate SYW (Share Your Work) board for critique. We don't really have a place that's just for display, but of course the internet does.

It's also fairly common for people who've formed friendships or trusting personal relationships here with other writers to swap manuscripts in private rather than posting anything in public. Apparently there are a number of partnerships and other small groupings that run everything by one another.

Maryn, not part of any of those

Reactions: llyralen

E. Stirling

Registered
Reaction score
As I combat the woes of the coffee not finishing it's brew process, I must say that is comforting. I had something witty and sharp that sounded really cool in my head, but until the goodness that is holy caffeine is available I will just say that this is good lol.

I plan to continue more on my project tonight, as rough as it is but the story must go on. So it's neat to hear of people with similar tales forming groups of friends to share in one anther's work.

My question now is? Will there be cookies?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If there's not cookies, I won't be there.

E. Stirling

Registered
Reaction score
I find it adds more energy to my characters and their plight. If you can set the mood, then all you had to do now is type the words.

Nanginoo

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, E. Stirling!

I'm a new member myself - happy to meet you.

I really liked the idea of 'capturing the final moments'. History is so rich with stories waiting to be told, because when it comes down to it we don't know all the facts... and that leaves a lot of room to play. I think focusing on the last moments would be incredibly impactful, and anyone reading would be encouraged to engage the history on a deeper-than-factual basis - their humanity would be engaged, their emotions and not just their brains.
Did you see 'The Terror'? I thought the first season did a great job of exactly that - taking an event that's shrouded in mystery, and really exploring what might have happened. It's about Sir John Franklin's lost expedition to the Arctic. I feel cold just thinking about it...

As far as penning samples goes, I can only speak to my own experience. I tend to do that with sentences and phrases, rather than whole stories, and if there's something there, see where the muse leads.

E. Stirling

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly am surprised to find someone so quickly who can relate to how I feel about writing in such a fashion so soon. I have not seen the "Terror" but I shall give it some investigation. I remember reading about that episode and the lost Franklin expedition and my imagination went wild.

But I have two short pieces I wrote about two maritime events that really resonated with me, as one captures the inner human fear of being completely out of control of the environment around you. The other being one of total sadness as it was a man made disaster done with intent.

I wrote them as if writing down a movie that plays in my mind, in a short emotionally and descriptive piece I try to bring the reader to a place, to experience an event. Honestly I wish I could give the ideas to filmmakers. History can provide limitless quality film. I have no talent as a filmmaker, but I can "write you a movie". At least that's the best method of expression I can manage to send a reader to a place. To see what I see.

I shall look into the Terror, hopefully it is well executed and the emptiness and lethal mystery of the Arctic day and endless white waste is well depicted.

Many thanks! - E.