The Meaning of a Sentence, Edgar Allan Poe

D.C. McCormick

A fool in a swimming pool
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the life of me, I cannot seem to understand what this man is saying.

The story in question is William Willson.
https://poestories.com/read/williamwilson

What does the bold part mean?
What letter? What painting? There are no letters or paintings in the story:D

That the school, indeed, did not feel his design, perceive its accomplishment, and participate in his sneer, was, for many anxious months, a riddle I could not resolve. Perhaps the gradation of his copy rendered it not so readily perceptible; or, more possibly, I owed my security to the master air of the copyist, who, disdaining the letter, (which in a painting is all the obtuse can see,) gave but the full spirit of his original for my individual contemplation and chagrin.

Thanks so much,
D.C.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
The excerpt is a bit out of context. I just read the full paragraph and it appears the MC has a rival at school who decided to mimic him, yet no one else could tell. It was a show for the MC only, which apparently worked because it got under his skin. I'm not sure what the letter or painting are meant to represent.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
It refers to the narrator's rival.

ETA: Letter and spirit are used here in the sense that the rival doesn't copy him slavishly. Think of letter of the law vs spirit of the law.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
It refers to the narrator's rival.

ETA: Letter and spirit are used here in the sense that the rival doesn't copy him slavishly. Think of letter of the law vs spirit of the law.

This. It's letter vs. spirit, not letter vs. painting.

The painting is given as an example. Let's say you wanted to copy a famous artist, but didn't want other people to realize you were doing it. If you traced their work, or otherwise copied it exactly, everyone could tell what you were doing. However, if you copy their style and technique, but create original works, the casual observer would, at most, think it was a coincidence, or that they were an influence or inspiration, if they noticed anything at all.

So this dude is copying everything about the narrator in order to drive him crazy... but subtly enough that only the narrator sees what's going on and the behavior seems perfectly innocent to everyone else.