Advice for a wallflower...

moldcultivator

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I recently joined the board in an attempt to find a community of like-minded individuals. Now that I'm here though, I'm not certain as to where I should best insert myself. Should I beta read? Slough off and play word games?

Where would y'all recommend I start? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in the forum.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Hi! It can be a bit overwhelming at first, right?

Personally, I chose the games and writing exercises because I enjoy them and like slacking (while justifying it with 'well, technically I'm writing').

I have recently got in the mode of checking the New Posts and just clicking whatever catches my eye. Invariably I find my way to the games, but I usually say Hi to someone new or learn something along the way.

I would highly suggest checking specific threads for your genre, either to lurk and learn or actively participate. You cannot lose either way.

Wishing you an abundance of all that is good!

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! :hi:

What worked for me was lurking in areas that interested me or where I wanted to learn more. Eventually I got a feel for the rooms and knew where I might be able to make a meaningful contribution and where it was best to shut up and listen. But then, that's how I handle real life as well. The games are a good place to get your toes wet and get to know folks without feeling weird about jumping into conversations out of your depth.

Based on your signature, it seems like you've got some experience, so you might pop by those areas of the board in case you can speak to any of the questions or conversations raised.

But in the end you do you. As long as you RYFW (respect your fellow writer) you'll be fine. :)

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Lurking is a great strategy to start with! Flipping through the forums until some topic catches your eye, perusing the activity stream for interesting active conversations, reading through a whole thread that seems intriguing until you feel like you know the people posting in there and just can't help diving in... :Jump:

moldcultivator

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I guess I'll check out the sci-fi forums and play some word games...

Thanks for the well-wishes! Stay safe in this weird time we find ourselves in.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
There's no harm or shame in lurking, exploring, seeing where you feel comfortable, and playing games or hanging in general chat threads to build up confidence and reputation. That said, you will ALWAYS be welcomed with open arms for posting in the critique forums as long as you're doing your best. :) Plus, it's a big benefit to you as you learn how to give crits and what to look for in your own work.