Grateful to have found you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolynLeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m here to learn and maybe occasionally share insights to help others if the opportunity arises.

Like so many of you, I’ve been writing in some form or another for as long as I can remember. My career began right out of college as a TV news features producer, so I got my start writing very, very quickly—sometimes in a news van en route back to the station. I ended up working in video production for years until I met my husband and went to work with him in ... wait for it ... highway construction. What?? This new fish was a fish out of water for sure. Anyway, flash forward 15 years. Companies are sold, and now I have all the time in the world to write. (A luxury—I’m aware, and hate to squander it.) The hardest part is keeping my rear end in a chair. The golf course beckons, or a pile of laundry waiting to go into the washer, or a chicken in the fridge needing marinating. Look, a squirrel!! I need some discipline.

I’m sort of the “idea” person. I have a list of great ideas for novels that I want to start. I just have trouble with the word FINISH. My first one, 15 years in the making (Anyone else out there with a novel this “old”?) is probably 3/4 done, but I find myself asking “Where’s the beef?” It’s a little lacking in plot, AND I’m having trouble figuring out how to wrap it up. Maybe there IS something to be said for an outline...? Is it too late to apply one of those here? ha.

Anyway, thanks for reading this. I look forward to getting to know you all.
Happy New Year!

Last edited:

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Welcome!

I can certainly relate, I have two novels that have gone through many revisions over a couple of decades. I'm finally in a position of getting my butt in the chair more but it doesn't want to stay put.

Anywho, glad you decided to join us! This is a great place for anything and everything writing related.

Most of all, have fun!

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
I too can relate. Not quite 15 years, but I can see how that can happen. And discipline? Finishing things? Yep, I and many others can relate on those scores. I've found that sticking to a routine as hard as I can, whether or not I *feel* like it, seems to work. Also, there are some fun ways in here to crow about your milestones. Welcome!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, CarolynLeslie, the premier writing place (in my opinion) on the nets.

I hear ya on the whole finishing thing. I've really only got my head around that in the last few years (outlining works for me, there). Still have a half-finished novel I occasionally revisit that's been a work in progress since I was a teenager. I probably should let it go, right?

As far as AW goes, imo you won't find a better resource and community for writers anywhere. It's big, both in terms of information and membership, with plenty of nooks and crannies but it's well worth taking the effort to acclimate.

See you around the boards!
Izz

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you! I won't do the official BIC lecture (it's a phrase you'll see here a lot, because it works), just commiserate on that whole plotting issue. Lots of us cannot connect that great beginning to the fully realized characters in that great ending. The middle is huge and so, so difficult without an outline. I don't like that I need one--and I often deviate from it after I make it--but for me, the structure of an outline with specific universal plot points falling at approximately the right word count certainly helps.

But that's for later. For now, let me show you the secret stash of snacks.

Maryn, glad you're here

CarolynLeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, CarolynLeslie, the premier writing place (in my opinion) on the nets.

I hear ya on the whole finishing thing. I've really only got my head around that in the last few years (outlining works for me, there). Still have a half-finished novel I occasionally revisit that's been a work in progress since I was a teenager. I probably should let it go, right?

Izz

Thanks for the nice welcome Izz. I'm definitely going to figure out a post-process outline for my current novel. As far as the one you've been working on since you were a teenager, I probably would not give it up as much as re-write it, making it relevant for today. Even since 15 years ago, so much has changed technologically, much of mine has needed to be tweaked, changing faxing to scanning, etc., relating to the "work scenes" in my book. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty minor stuff. See you around the boards.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Horrorschach

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome.
See if you can hop on some of these monthly challenge threads.
They keep the commotion in motion and you have a throng of driven writers to stampede with.
It wont ensure your butt stays stationary but it will get a sense of accountability in place that helps curb your "maybe I should".
Good luck.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey you seem nice and friendly. How's it going and welcome!

Yeah, the plotter vs panster debate always grows- but it's no fretting either way. There's always room to experiment.

I hope you enjoy it here! Have a cookie! :e2cookie:

The Shimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Fellow newbie getting in on the welcome wagon. Welcome! I'm still wading in to the AW water, so I don't have any advice, but it seems like a nice place to hang out and learn a little. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.