A majority of the Republican Party is advocating for the overthrow of an American election

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/01/what-republicans-are-doing-worse-treason/617538/

The Atlantic said:
“We are what we pretend to be,” Kurt Vonnegut wrote in the opening of his 1962 novel, Mother Night, “and so we must be careful what we pretend to be.” Republicans in Congress are pretending to be seditionists—and so they have become, in fact, seditionists.

Forget all the whispered denials and the off-the-record expressions of concern in private; ignore the knowing smirks on camera from GOP officials who are desperately trying to indicate that they’re in on the joke. Brush aside the caviling of the anti-anti-Trump writers who would rather talk about that time in 2017 when some Democrats objected to the Electoral College vote (and were gaveled down by Joe Biden himself).

This is sedition, plain and simple. No amount of playacting and rationalizing can change the fact that the majority of the Republican Party and its apologists are advocating for the overthrow of an American election and the continued rule of a sociopathic autocrat.

This is not some handful of firebrands making a stand for the television cameras. In 2005, one Democrat in the House and one in the Senate filed an objection to counting Ohio’s electoral votes, while insisting that they were not contesting the outcome of the presidential election itself. In 2017, a handful of Democratic members of the House objected to the electoral count. Because they lacked support in the Senate, then–Vice President Biden ruled the representatives out of order and declared, “It is over.” In both cases, the Democratic candidate had already conceded.

Today, the “sedition caucus” includes at least 140 members of the House—that is, some two-thirds of the House GOP membership—and at least 10 members of the Senate. Their challenge comes after weeks of insistence that the 2020 election was rigged, plagued by fraud, and even subverted by foreign powers. The president and his minions have filed, and lost, scores of lawsuits that ranged from minor disputes over process to childlike, error-filled briefs full of bizarre assertions.

Instead of threatening to gavel these objections into irrelevance, as Biden did four years ago, Vice President Mike Pence “welcomes” these challenges. Pence’s career is finished, but he could have stood for the Constitution he claims to love and which he swore to defend. However, cowardice is contagious, and no mask was thick enough to protect Pence from the pathogen of fear.

Perhaps the sedition caucus didn’t mean to go this far. Its members began by arguing that we all just needed to humor President Trump, to give him time to process the loss, and to treat the president of the United States as a toddler who was going home empty-handed. He wouldn’t be a dead-ender, they assured us, because that would be too humiliating. The Republican Party would never immolate itself for a proven loser.

But for Trump, there is no such thing as too much humiliation. The only shame in Trump world lies in admitting defeat. And so Trump doubled down, as anyone who had watched him for more than 10 minutes knew he would. And then he tripled, quadrupled, quintupled down. And just as they have done for the past four years, elected Republicans tried to convince themselves that if they supported this outrage, it would be the last time they would be required to surrender their dignity; that this betrayal of the Constitution would be the last treachery demanded of them. That if they complied one more time, they would be allowed to go back to their privileged lives far from the districts they claim to represent—places few of them really want to live after tasting life in the Emerald City.

It is possible that the sedition caucus knew that all these challenges would fail. It is possible that they know their last insult to American democracy, on Wednesday, will go nowhere, as well. This is irrelevant: Engaging in sedition for insincere reasons does not make it less hideous. Arguing that you betrayed the Constitution only as theater is no defense.

I’d love to think that my country will rain down consequences on the perps, but the past four years have left me little optimism for that. It seems that my country’s appetite for chaos and lies and gonzo conspiracy theories is boundless. Sigh.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what Thursday morning will look like when all these idiots wake up to find nothing happened.

We should however brace ourselves for Trump's reaction. He's either going to become seriously depressed, seriously angry (that's a powder keg), or he'll find the next target to overturn the election.

I thought all the previous targets would be the ones where Trump gave up, yet he never did. It's hard to imagine where Trump might find yet another target. I hope it's not going to be Trump believing he can raise an army of Proud Boys et al to defend him on Jan 20th. There is still that Insurgency Act and declaring Martial Law on the list.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
What's next on Trump's peaceful transition checklist, I wonder...

-cb

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish they would stop talking about 'courageous' Mike Pence. If anyone has had 'access to the President's ear' it's surely him. And all of us know the difference between right and wrong from a pretty early age.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously. Trump sicced a mob on him. Stepping up and doing something at this point isn't moral courage, it's saving his own skin.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'At this point' it's too little, too late.

Seriously. Trump sicced a mob on him. Stepping up and doing something at this point isn't moral courage, it's saving his own skin.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I wish they would stop talking about 'courageous' Mike Pence. If anyone has had 'access to the President's ear' it's surely him. And all of us know the difference between right and wrong from a pretty early age.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

I suppose it's akin to the positive reinforcement attempted by teachers who lavishly praise the disruptive kids if they manage to go five minutes without hitting someone or breaking something. But it makes everyone else puke in the back of their throats.

I wonder what Thursday morning will look like when all these idiots wake up to find nothing happened.

This article sums it up pretty well.

https://www.npr.org/sections/congre...hange-the-election-some-trump-backers-realize

A couple of responses:

She reserves her irritation for right-wing media and politicians who encouraged the baseless hopes that brought her to D.C.

"On the news, they keep saying now that they shouldn't have said that [Vice President] Pence can stop the certification, that was just a big lie ... They didn't say that before," she says. "Maybe some of the other news stations that I don't trust, but the ones that I do, that's not what they were saying."

"Had Pence come out and said flat out like, 'no, I can't change this,' ... I would have been like, 'well, that's a big old bust,' but I would have believed him," she said. "I mean, people would have moved along. "

Instead, Pence waited until midday Wednesday, after thousands of people had gathered to protest, to make it clear he would not overthrow the results.

"It's very frustrating," Laughlin says.

And

But for Trump fan Tracey Lawrence, at least, the Stop the Steal rally was a big success.

The Missouri resident sells Trump gear, and the assembled crowd was underdressed for D.C.'s chilly weather. "They didn't have enough gloves and scarves," she says. "Because of that, we did great."

And unlike Laughlin, Lawrence has not concluded that Trump's only path forward is to leave the White House.

"I hope he calls martial law," she says.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Capitol Police rejected offers of federal help to quell mob

Three days before the pro-President Donald Trump riot at the Capitol, the Pentagon asked the U.S Capitol Police if it needed National Guard manpower. And as the mob descended on the building Wednesday, Justice Department leaders reached out to offer up FBI agents. The police turned them down both times, according to a defense official and two people familiar with the matter.

Despite plenty of warnings of a possible insurrection and ample resources and time to prepare, the Capitol Police planned only for a free speech demonstration.

I'm sure most of us have seen the picture of lines of National Guard members in riot gear on the steps of the Capitol before a Black Lives Matter protest. It is included in this article, which shows the glaring double standard between how the MAGA terrorists and racial justice protesters, who had no plans to and did not storm the Capitol and were largely peaceful.

I believed yesterday that the leaders of the Capitol police and many officers were complicit, and nothing I have seen today convinced me otherwise. MSNBC has reported that the US Capitol police chief has resigned, but I can't find confirmation yet.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
According to this RTHK article, Steven Sund (US Capitol Police Chief) will resign, but Capitol Police didn't respond immediately to enquiries. Apparently, House sergeant at arms Paul Irving is also resigning and Senate sergeant at arms, Michael Stenger, is in the firing line.

As for the Capitol Police officers:

Washington's federal prosecutor said he would charge any Capitol Police officers found to be complicit in allowing protesters into the building, and lawmakers vowed to open an investigation into the department.

And the difference between handling this event and the anti-racism protests couldn't be clearer (though it's been obvious previously and the evidence is irrefutable):

...sharp contrast to the response to anti-racism protests this summer. At that time, the White House was surrounded by multiple blocks of buffer, and law enforcement officers used tear gas, projectiles and at one point the downward blast of a helicopter rotor to push back protesters.

In comparison, the streets around the Capitol were open on Wednesday morning, and scatterings of Capitol Police stood at low metal barriers resembling bicycle racks.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
kara, nice 300
Chase, congrats on the synching :)
Cindy, congrats on the work :)
Moon, congrats on the 397
Hi Daniel
April, 2K/Ch 6 - Nice! (I'm making the Truly Victorian corset, just a mockup. I've been wanting to sew for a while, and I thought I had a stressor behind me for a little while, but - I was wrong. So I don't think I'll have the bandwidth to work on it again till, like whenever.)
Magnus - a slump day can be a rest day :)
Woolly - congrats on the reading, & much feels about sore thumb. (if you mess up, just undo the work! You haven't cut anything, so you can just start again :D. )
Ptero, congrats on all the work. & I feel a bit inspired by your evening eating (well, not eating) habits

Day 7

WIP 1) editing WIP 2) editing
R/SC - did the dishes & tided the kitchen as soon as I got home, despite just wanting to go on the internet and eat cookies
BP/$$ - job 12 hours

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We should beat that racist hypocrisy drum when it seems to be fading from the news. Otherwise it will fade away the same way the urgency of police killing blacks keeps doing.

I can't get my son to understand that "defund the police" was bad messaging. (He's well to the left of me and I'm pretty left.) This is at least an opportunity to discuss how police believing white supremacists are their friends contributed to yesterday's disaster.

Police all over the country need a serious culture change. They have to root the racists out of their ranks and there are a lot of them to root out. It will be no easy task. But here is an opportunity where police sympathies with white supremacists is under the spotlight. It's a different place to start.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
They prided themselves for NOT wearing a mask. Now they risk getting indicted on a felony AND catching Covid-19.

It's not illegal to be an utter moron, but there are consequences when you act like one.

-cb

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We should beat that racist hypocrisy drum when it seems to be fading from the news. Otherwise it will fade away the same way the urgency of police killing blacks keeps doing.

I can't get my son to understand that "defund the police" was bad messaging. (He's well to the left of me and I'm pretty left.) This is at least an opportunity to discuss how police believing white supremacists are their friends contributed to yesterday's disaster.

Police all over the country need a serious culture change. They have to root the racists out of their ranks and there are a lot of them to root out. It will be no easy task. But here is an opportunity where police sympathies with white supremacists is under the spotlight. It's a different place to start.

One mistake I hope the Left doesn't make is turning on its own more moderate wings. As someone who is well left of center, I get the frustration with compromise and the way progress and needed change move at glacial speeds because so many of my white, suburban neighbors "just can't even" with respect to single payer health care, accepting that "trickle down" doesn't work and the wealthiest among us should pay more in taxes, or admitting that institutionalized racism is real and pervasive in our society. And don't get me started about climate change resolutions designed by committee.

However, we're seeing the effects that ideological litmus tests have had on one party, where the more moderate voices in the GOP have been primaried out over the years, and the party mainstream has shifted so far right it's tearing our country apart.

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
Don't know if it's any consolation to the folks worried about leftist unity, but as a self admitted SJW-Leftist who got in a pages long argument on this very forum with someone because I was defending the slogan "defund the police," I'm having a rather difficult time finding any anger in my heart right now at anyone even remotely left wing. I'll take bland Centrism over Nazis anyday. The right has gotten so bad they are killing cops in the Capitol, and I'm really not in the mood to say "but Biden is too moderate" today. Not sure if other Leftists feel how I feel, but I can't bring myself to make fun of Nancy Pelosi or whoever right now for being too tepid. The right has gotten so bad, we need to deal with it before anything else.

Again, just where I am at. I saw some Lefty types saying "if the left stormed the Capitol it would be based and epic" and that does concern me.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't know if it's any consolation to the folks worried about leftist unity, but as a self admitted SJW-Leftist who got in a pages long argument on this very forum with someone because I was defending the slogan "defund the police," I'm having a rather difficult time finding any anger in my heart right now at anyone even remotely left wing. I'll take bland Centrism over Nazis anyday. The right has gotten so bad they are killing cops in the Capitol, and I'm really not in the mood to say "but Biden is too moderate" today. Not sure if other Leftists feel how I feel, but I can't bring myself to make fun of Nancy Pelosi or whoever right now for being too tepid. The right has gotten so bad, we need to deal with it before anything else.

Again, just where I am at. I saw some Lefty types saying "if the left stormed the Capitol it would be based and epic" and that does concern me.

Nothing like a common enemy to bring folks together.

And just to be clear, it's normal to debate, even bicker, over which methods might work best, as long as we don't forget we do want the same things and are on the same side.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately the more the news has Biden saying they are thugs, the more likely Trump is to pardon the lot of them. It's all about revenge.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The more that comes out, the more it's clear the US dodged a bullet. And there was a lot more to this than I had imagined.

The guy with the zip-tie handcuffs has now clearly been ID'd as a terrorist. There was a guy arrested with a number of molotov cocktails and a long gun. Some of those people came there to kidnap and/or kill some legislators.

There is a video which is scary as hell showing a very large mob using themselves as a battering ram to get through an outside door that was being countered by a smaller number of Capitol Police.

The mob trying to get into the chamber (shooting incident killing the woman) where three or four armed cops were keeping them from getting to the legislators sheltering inside could have easily been overrun just as the mob overran the police to get into the building. Once one or two get through, the cops would need to be guarding themselves in all directions.

Bill Moyers has weighed in publishing a couple of pieces: The Putsch of January 6, 2021
BY JAMES D. ZIRIN

He doesn't have answers but he certainly points things out that need investigating.
The rioters who assaulted the Capitol on January 6 were better organized than the police who were charged with protecting the imposing building, which Biden called the “citadel of liberty.”

These were not just a group of people who happened to be in Washington that day to protest Biden’s victory. There was the woman named Elizabeth from Knoxville, her eyes smarting from mace, who said she came as part of the “revolution.” There was Jake Angeli of Arizona, an actor and singer, both a QAnon and Trump supporter, carrying a bullhorn and an American flag, who, in 39-degree weather, appeared inside the building shirtless and tattooed, wearing a horned helmet and red, white and blue face paint. There was the other bearded rioter wearing a hoodie emblazoned with the chilling rubric, “Camp Auschwitz, Work Brings Freedom,” the nazi slogan that greeted arrivals at the death camp. There was a fair share of white supremacists and racists. Someone erected a gallows with a noose in front of the Capitol Building. ...

This was a well-planned enterprise. Who financed these people? Was it Trump’s “Stop the Steal” PAC? Who paid their travel expenses, their hotel expense, their sustenance? Who were the organizers? Who assembled the small group that would storm the building, scale its hallowed walls and invade its chambers where the laws that rule us are made? Who instructed the trespassers on how to do it, and where to go? Many carried or wore Trump or QAnon paraphernalia. “Trump 2020” banners or MAGA hats, the uniforms of their seditious enterprise. Few of the male rioters were clean shaven. Was this planned also to make identification more difficult?

There is more to this than Trump’s incendiary innuendo in front of the White House exhorting the mob...

Who put up the crusty Congressman from Texas, Louie Gohmert, to start the frivolous and almost unimaginable lawsuit against Mike Pence seeking to empower him to throw the election Trump’s way? Who crafted the wild Ted Cruz scenario to advocate a special commission to investigate an election where countless lawsuits, recounts and challenges had unearthed no evidence of the “massive fraud” Trump falsely claimed had vitiated the election? The enablers like Cruz and Josh Hawley, the pallid senator from Missouri who wants to be president, know it is not true. ...

Why was the National Guard so late to the party? The DC and Capitol police were no match for the rioters. One of their number posed for a selfie with the mob; another escorted an intruder down the steps of the Capitol; a third ran from them, not even ordering them to leave the building. ...

There must be full accountability for all those responsible for this day, like another in American history, “which will live in infamy.”

Inciting Insurrection: It Wasn’t Just Trump by Steven Harper
Trump is now the focus of public attention, but he’s not the only enemy within. The Capitol Police arrested only 14 of the hundreds of people at the scene. To put that paltry number in context, at the nonviolent climate change protests in 2018, there were more arrests than that. Even a cursory investigation of the numerous “coincidental” security failures on January 6 suggests the makings of another Trump scandal.

Trump now claims that he deployed the National Guard “immediately.” That’s a lie.

Officers were filmed taking selfies with rioters and appearing to help them move back barricades and open doors.

As three protesters were looking for the office of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), a Capitol Police officer tried to direct them.

As bad as those scenes are, the sordid truth behind them is almost certainly worse....
Starting, but not ending with these guys (details in the piece):
The Too-Late Revisionists

After years of enabling Trump’s excesses – or being complicit by their silence – a larger group now proclaims that Trump has gone too far down a road that they helped him pave. Here’s just a small sample of that rogue’s gallery.

Vice President Mike Pence...
McConnell...
Pompeo...
Graham...
Barr...
White House Counsel Pat Cipollone ...​

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, anyone who still thinks these were just a bunch of thugs in denial who got carried away is deep in denial land themselves.

We are lucky none of our legislators were killed and that we didn't end up with a hostage standoff. At least some of these people were clearly intending to do just this.

And oh, just to make us all feel even more warm and fuzzy, if un-surprised, more than a dozen state lawmakers were at the Capitol "rally" on Weds. I don't know if any besides the guy from West VA went inside, or if any others planned violence, but given how this was advertised and organized on the right-wing web, it is hard to imagine that they had no idea at all how this might go down.

As has already been noted, these Q-Anon crazies are infiltrating every level of our government.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently two Seattle cops were there too. It hasn't been reported yet if they entered the building but they are suspended and if they got involved in the mob activity the acting chief* says they will be fired.

*He's acting chief because Chief Best quit after the CHAD occupation protest. Different topic, different time. But it gives a different meaning to the recent current events given the fact two of the rank and file went to a Trump insurrection. But I'm not surprised.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He should be the first person Biden gives the Medal of Freedom to. And Biden should make a point of saying he wants to rehabilitate the value of the medal.

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
He should be the first person Biden gives the Medal of Freedom to. And Biden should make a point of saying he wants to rehabilitate the value of the medal.

At the risk of sounding cynical, that's an optics 10/10. I actually hope that is exactly what happens.

Also, imagine being black and goading a mob of unstable, ARMED white supremacists to chase after you. Can't imagine what was going through his head in that moment, though I guess sometimes adrenaline takes over and you just act