A majority of the Republican Party is advocating for the overthrow of an American election

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible that 45's people are quiet right now by design? McConnell had us all thinking he was actually considering voting to convict this guy. I figured he was doing it for all the wrong, greedy reasons, but whatever. Didn't really matter. I just want his vote. But now he and others are walking it all back, and now the conviction won't happen without killing the filibuster, it's not going to happen.

By being able to brush 45's ill deeds effectively under the rug, the public starts to forget. We let down our guards. We move on into yet another new normal where a sitting president can quite literally incite violence...and then preventing the National Guard from helping for as long as he was able to do so, therefore effectively rolling out the red carpet for his rioters.

Humans adapt so effectively.

And we forget.

Allowing 45 time to figure out his next game plan, rouse his followers, and begin some (more) damage.

ETA: Verbiage

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Is it possible that 45's people are quiet right now by design? McConnell had us all thinking he was actually considering voting to convict this guy. I figured he was doing it for all the wrong, greedy reasons, but whatever. Didn't really matter. I just want his vote. But now he and others are walking it all back, and now the conviction won't happen without killing the filibuster, it's not going to happen.

By being able to brush 45's ill deeds effectively under the rug, the public starts to forget. We let down our guards. We move on into yet another new normal where a sitting president can quite literally incite violence...and then preventing the National Guard from helping for as long as he was able to do so, therefore effectively rolling out the red carpet for his rioters.

Humans adapt so effectively.

And we forget.

Allowing 45 time to figure out his next game plan, rouse his followers, and begin some (more) damage.

ETA: Verbiage

+1

I will honestly be surprised if any of them pay, legally or politically, for any of what they've done. They'll stay quiet (sort of) and play nice (sort of) while they regroup. And next time they order their hordes to descend upon the halls of power, they will likely succeed with what they learned this time around.

They've legitimized domestic terrorism, and will likely eventually be rewarded with the absolute power and overthrow of democracy they've told us they were after all along.

And the center and left will smile and shrug and not want to make waves, and the media will "both-sides" it to muzzle any mass resistance.

People keep saying America dodged a bullet.

I don't know that we did; I just don't think enough people want to admit we're bleeding out.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zip Tie Guy Might Be Prime Candidate for Exceedingly Rare Sedition Charge, Prosecutors Reveal

Law & Crime said:
During the course of the whirlwind days when the so-called “Zip Tie Guy” from the U.S. Capitol insurrection was ordered released by one judge on Friday—only to be kept behind bars by another on Sunday—a quiet revelation hitting his case’s docket barely received notice. Federal prosecutors disclosed that more serious charges against Eric Gavelek Munchel may be imminent, including an exceedingly rare sedition charge.

“The evidence amassed so far subjects the defendant to felonies beyond that with which he has been charged so far, including obstructing Congress, interstate travel in furtherance of rioting activity, sedition, and other offenses,” said Assistant U.S. Attorney Ahmet Baset on Sunday, referring to Munchel. “These offenses carry substantial penalties, which incentivizes flight and evading law enforcement—a thought that the defendant already appears to have contemplated by virtue of avoiding his residence and workplace, terminating his Facebook account, and leaving his cell phone with an associate.”

That warning helped persuade Chief U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell, from the District of D.C., to block a magistrate’s order that would have had Munchel await trial in home detention.

Munchel’s mom allegedly rioted with him and brought an enormous stash of weapons to the Capitol—but not inside it.

“We’re going straight to federal prison if we go in there with weapons,” Lisa Eisenhart could be heard saying in a video from the siege, according to prosecutors.

Since seditious conspiracy charges require two or more people to oppose the authority of the United States, former Southern District of New York federal prosecutor and current CNN legal analyst Jennifer Rodgers believed Munchel’s machinations with his mother may have helped spark more serious charges against him.

“I think it’s a huge development,” Rodgers told Law&Crime in a phone interview. “If they charge this guy and presumably his mother with seditious conspiracy, then that means they’re open to doing that in other cases, too.”

Meanwhile, the Oregon Republican party falsely suggests US Capitol attack was a 'false flag'...

There had better be harsh consequences for all involved in the attempted insurrection. Saw this tweeted today:

Q: What do you call attempted insurrection that goes unpunished?
A: Practice.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score

So here's the recent rumour. Trump is bullying the Senate GOP to exonerate him from Impeachment 2.0 (what else is new in Trumpland?). Failure to vote 'properly' will result in Trump starting his own party and divide the conservative votes comes 2022 and beyond. Note that he - personally - doesn't have to be on the ballot to do some serious damage to the GOP. If exonerated, Trump will come back for another run in 2024. Unopposed from any other potential GOP president-wannabes, of course.

"I voted for the Middle Finger, the Wrecking Ball." ( link )

-cb

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
His "agenda" being "get people to send me all their money and maintain plausible deniability for inciting any (further) violence and/or sedition."

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
At least (hopefully) this time it'll only be his suckers' money and not taxpayers'.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re opening his 'office', this is something taxpayers provide funding for ex-POTUSes. The grifting continues.

From Introversion's link:
Munchel’s mom allegedly rioted with him and brought an enormous stash of weapons to the Capitol—but not inside it.
So did they come in separate vehicles? How is this not, "he brought them"?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The Big Lie meets Reality(tm).

Arizona's sham election 'audit' report delayed after Cyber Ninjas CEO and others test positive for Covid-19

Elections experts in both parties have said for months that results of the "audit" -- pushed for by Republican lawmakers and conducted by the Florida-based company, which had no experience auditing election results and whose chief executive, Logan, has repeated wild conspiracy theories about election fraud -- will not be credible.

This would be a laughable event of the same gargantuous scope and breadth of MyPillow CEO's fact finding unveiling bonanza (link) if not for peoples' lives hanging in the balance.

Cyber Ninjas Chief Executive Officer Doug Logan, whose firm was hired by the Republican-led Arizona Senate to audit the 2.1 million votes cast in Maricopa County in 2020's presidential race, and two other members of the five-person audit team tested positive "and are quite sick," Senate President Karen Fann said in a statement.

What about them emails?

-cb

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This has been an unending comedy of errors. No one could have created a work of fiction, not even a satire, that was as bizarre and surreal as this last election and its aftermath (not to mention the entire Trump Presidnecy).

I still know people who are quite confident that something is going to be revealed somehow that will reinstate Trump. It's mid boggling, really, because there is no historical precedent for de-certifying an election that has been finalized for the better part of a year. I don't think there's a mechanism to do this, even if the doubts about the AZ results were more credible and being investigated by anyone who was both unbiased and qualified to do so. And even if something did overturn the results in AZ, it still wouldn't give Trump enough electoral votes, of course.

This lack of touch with reality among people who may appear to be grounded in it in other regards is truly baffling. I was never clear that Bush should have been declared the victor in 2000, and I've always been baffled by the 2016 outcome, but I accepted the results as final, like them or not. I can't think of anyone on the Left who didn't.

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
At first I thought the mypillow guy just wanted money, and partially that is probably a huge component still, but watching his CNN interview I think he also is on his own Kool-aid supply in a sense.

It reminds me of the people who preached to the entire country about the rapture on a specific 2012 date and then when it didn't come, they were genuinely shocked. Much like the end times preachers, Mypillow guy made bank from lying, but I've seen the disappointment on both of their faces when they have the moment of "if I'm wrong, then I've made a complete jackass of myself."

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MyPillow guy Mike Lindell was a crack addict. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back on something and that’s contributing to his bizarre conspiracy theories and erratic behavior.

Reactions: ConnorMuldowney

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
MyPillow guy Mike Lindell was a crack addict. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back on something and that’s contributing to his bizarre conspiracy theories and erratic behavior.

New Chinese supplier for pillow padding, maybe?

Seriously.

At least this is more entertaining (and less destructive) than Trump twitter storms. Relatively speaking.

-cb

Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Draft report from partisan Arizona review confirms Biden defeated Trump in Maricopa County last November

The partisan review of Maricopa County's 2.1 million ballots cast in the 2020 election found a vote count nearly identical to what the county had previously reported, a draft report detailing its findings shows.

The state Senate Republicans who seized on former President Donald Trump's lies about widespread election fraud and ordered up the report and Cyber Ninjas, the inexperienced company hired to conduct it, are set to detail their findings in a public presentation Friday.
The draft report emerged Thursday night, and audit spokesman Randy Pullen confirmed its validity to KJZZ Phoenix. "It's not the final report, but it's close," he said.

The draft report shows that the hand recount found that President Joe Biden received 99 more votes than Maricopa County had reported after November's election, while former President Donald Trump received 261 fewer votes than the county reported.
Well, that seems like it was money well-spent? /sarc

Reactions: Diana Hignutt

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that observers have security concerns. CW for anti trans language from a Cyber Ninjas employee in that link.

Because they appear to have come out with a result that isn’t as partisan as was feared, I will take some small comfort. However, given the laundry list of security concerns from observers, this is not a company that should be conducting election audits, at least from where I sit.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
I swear, it seems like the Republican platform has gone from 'control government spending' and other rational planks to 'if you can't win, cheat'.

There can not be compromise when one has a philosophy of win at any cost by any means fair or foul.

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of pardoning the mob/rioters:

Trump can't pardon them if he wants people to believe they were AntiFa and it seems that BS is being claimed by Trump's minions. Trump has now started repeating it.

I am afraid that any person gullible enough to believe the Former Guy would be gullible enough to believe anything he says. No matter how illogical and irrational it was to convince them that pardoning 'the enemy' was a good thing.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The final count was never the point.

The point was introducing the idea that the certified elections were fraudulent, that the results could never be trusted. Even when it confirmed the original results, any results are now suspect and require endless further inspection and meddling.

Look at all the copycat "audits" and the ongoing success of the Big Lie as a political strategy to sell voter restriction and ignore outcomes, and you'll see that they succeeded with flying colors.

I don't see how we step back from this ledge as a democracy.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Wendy Rogers, the #fraudit pushing AZ Senator was getting a little panicky last night. She tweeted asking for prayers for the audit team.
I just talked to Doug Logan via phone. The leaked draft is simply a draft and is only a partial report. Tomorrow's hearing will render findings of great consequence. Then he said "God is in control". Please pray for our audit team tomorrow as they present their findings.

Of course, per the requirements of the Trumpcult approved behavior, she is absolutely going wild on Twitter (and presumably elsewhere) today, acting as if the fraudit proved fraud and Trump should be reinstated. She's fully backing the need to take this to other states, and has declared a fresh "audit" will now begin on Pima County's election results. (Pima is the county including Tucson.) Oy, trying to grasp the level of self-delusion required hurts my brain... :e2hammer:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The final count was never the point.

The point was introducing the idea that the certified elections were fraudulent, that the results could never be trusted. Even when it confirmed the original results, any results are now suspect and require endless further inspection and meddling.

Look at all the copycat "audits" and the ongoing success of the Big Lie as a political strategy to sell voter restriction and ignore outcomes, and you'll see that they succeeded with flying colors.

I don't see how we step back from this ledge as a democracy.
I'm afraid the Titanic hit the iceberg on Jan. 6 as far as American democracy goes.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Reminds me of Monty Python's dead parrot skit for some odd reason. Complete with the diversion at the end.

-cb