2021-2 Storytelling - Conflict - Discussion Thread

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
We will be writing a piece that highlights conflict for our second practice story in 2021. This thread is meant to provide a place to discuss conflict in storytelling as a support for that effort, and just in general.

Discussing this with my son on our evening walk, he said, "Interest is what gets you to turn the page, but conflict is what carries you from start to finish." I thought that was genius. He's right in many ways. The conflict is what gets your reader guessing how they'll solve their problems. And it's important to consider that conflict isn't just obstacles. It can be an obstacle, but it only has to be opposing outcomes to be real. And conflict can be in the mind. What happens if your hero is in love with two women? Or when your hero is given the impossible task of saving Mary Jane or Aunt May, but he can't do both? It can be as closed as making a choice for what you want or what you need. What you should do or what you always dreamed of. It can be as outward as save the kids from a pack of wolves or get off the mountain before it becomes a volcano. All of these are examples of conflict.

I'll add one additional thing, every character needs conflict. You don't want to make it easy on everyone or anyone. If your hero, your villain, or your comic relief have only one possible outcome, they become a caricature instead of a character.

There's my opening salvo, any other thoughts?

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
I feel you are spot on in that assessment. Even if it is simple a mental debate, the activity is "activity" which engages the reader (caveat: when written well...) To get to that state of conflict, it has helped me to focus outward. What is the villain doing? What is their story? If there's only a "villain" in the sense of a person's inner conflict, why is that inner conflict so strong? What makes it so? Is there something the protagoinist fears above all else? is that what is driving this inner demon to push back so vehemently?

Those questions create realistic conflict. It is almost as if my villains drive the story and main characters are trapped in their web. Now, add in the mix, sexual tension. Is it their inhibitions, or a deeper need they are afraid of which are causing them angst? or, is it stereotypes they've been indoctrinated to believe? Those also can create an amorphous villain of society as a whole looking down on their choices. Breaking free of that may be their resolution. Learning to recognize how to be true to themselves, another.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, a good bit of erotica and erotic romance involves personal conflict that can seem trite or forced when not done well. You know, two available people whose relationship starts off with animosity, soon thrust into cooperation for some reason, grudging respect, growing desire, red hot sex at a moment of weakness or triumph, some kind of serious conflict that may not be related to the original animosity, nearly breaking up, the realization they belong together. It's an old formula that totally works done well and totally sucks done poorly.

But there are two sets of conflicts inherent to the structure. Often the first is somewhat superficial--she can't stand politicians or cowboys or bikers, or he cannot abide women to whom fashion is important, who doesn't know her place, or who hasn't been to college. They don't know one another and their conflict is shallow and superficial.

Done right, the later conflict is real and would threaten any relationship. He decides to run for mayor despite his promise, she empties her savings to buy haute couture--something the other party finds a violation of a tacit understanding about who the other person is. In the real world, of course, great sex won't overcome too big a conflict, but in fiction, the author can set it up so that's possible without it being a given.