Do you ever lose sleep?

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I barely slept last night because a new story wouldn't be quiet. I've got too many projects right now and can't start another and still finish what I've got going, but a story came together in my mind and has been screaming at me. I took the time to write down the rough outline, but that wasn't enough. The opening came to me just after I closed my eyes. An hour later a relationship jelled. I had to get up around three to think out a love scene. This went on all night. I tried a nap this morning and no sooner drifted off than the perfect conflict dawned on me and opened my eyes. I'm going to have to write enough of this to sate the muse so I can get some rest.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give in to it. Get out of bed and write it. If you hold off and don't write it, you will always regret it when other things get in the way and the idea loses its luster.

I once wrote most of a short story on the little phone note pads they give you in hotel rooms.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Usually what I end up writing is a Very Involved synopsis, the kind that would get a "this is way too long and goes into way too much detail" warning label on Wikipedia. I might write a few paragraphs of actual prose if there's a scene or conversation that's already highly detailed in my head but not more than that. It'll end up being a giant mess but it's got all the good stuff for me to turn into an outline/story down the road.

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
You might be losing sleep over what to post next at Absolute Write, happens to me all the time. Happening right now

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but not because of writing. Usually because of anxieties about the Day Job, or world events, or sometimes Who Knows What. Was up until 4:00am this morning from some combination, will stumble blindly through the day now...

Horrorschach

Registered
Reaction score
Isnt sleep withdrawl a rite of passage as an adult? Seems like it.

I realize how childish this is but when I find myself in a sleepless state I try to go back to my childhood roots.
I put on a mindless cartoon (Spongebob, anyone?) and get some cereal.
In most cases I can convince my brain to stem the tide of insistent thoughts.

mr_frugal

Registered
Reaction score
All the time. I lost some down the back of the sofa the other day.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of? I often have trouble going back to sleep after waking for anything during the night. That's a real good time to think about what I'm writing, sometimes for an hour or more, and because I'm fully awake, I usually remember it the next morning and jot it down.

Maryn, who won't sleep again if she gets up

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Horrorschach, that's rather sweet. Sounds all cozy. I might try that next time—or not, I had insomnia as a child because I couldn't stop thinking of ideas.

I lose sleep on Sunday nights. I go to bed late because I don't want the weekend to end, and then I keep waking up thinking my alarm won't go off, which ends up defeating the whole purpose of the alarm.

On a usual night my brain just won't quit. I have to put on those YouTube videos where people read random Reddit posts aloud to lull myself. I've tried music, sound soothers, etc. but I seem to need human speech to nod off.

Please don't tell my pastor.

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
I can no longer sympathize about new stories keeping me awake, but if you really need to sleep, try audiobooks. Just enough to keep your mind from going wild and no light!

seashelly

Registered
Reaction score
I sleep well until around 4 am, when I very often find myself awake staring into the darkness. I keep a pad of paper and a pen by my bed and have trained myself to write legibly in the dark, so when a story idea pops into my head I can reach over, grab the pad and pen, and make a note of it without having to turn on the light. If I didn't do this I would surely forget the idea. The first couple times I did this I couldn't decipher my scribbling, but my darkness writing has gotten a lot better since then.