An Author's story of persistence

TrapperViper

Registered
Reaction score
I came upon this yesterday and found it fascinating. Kark Marlentes wrote his first draft of Matterhorn (what some refer to as the definitive novel on Vietnam), when he got back from his tour as a young man. Decades later, he finally got it published.

Regardless of what you're writing....I'm hopeful Marlentes' story can serve as an inspiration to you in the same way it does for me.

Happy New Year everyone!

https://www.pw.org/content/first_karl_marlantes_s_matterhorn?article_page=1

Reactions: SAWeiner

LStein

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing! I do find it inspirational. I can't believe he stuck with it after not only rewriting it but querying it over 30 years.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read his short book, What it is like to Go to War? With it as the inner perspective and Yuval Noah Harari's The Ultimate Experience: Battlefield Revelations and the Making of Modern War Culture as the historical perspective, a writer would have everything needed to write a war novel that everyone would recognize as a war novel whether or not the writer had ever stepped foot on a battlefield. It's funny how authenticity (like emotion) doesn't come from direct expressions of experience but from tropes and figures we're convinced go along with experience.

SAWeiner

Reaction score
I came upon this yesterday and found it fascinating. Kark Marlentes wrote his first draft of Matterhorn (what some refer to as the definitive novel on Vietnam), when he got back from his tour as a young man. Decades later, he finally got it published.

Regardless of what you're writing....I'm hopeful Marlentes' story can serve as an inspiration to you in the same way it does for me.

Happy New Year everyone!

https://www.pw.org/content/first_karl_marlantes_s_matterhorn?article_page=1
I hope it doesn't take me as long to make it. It could though.