Becoming a freelance author and freelance mangaka

Sinuka

Queer Bavarian Metal Potato ~ NTMY
Registered
Reaction score
My big dream is to become a freelance manga artist and author.

So far, I don't have the possibility to earn enough money for a living but I keep on trying to increase my prominence through social media. I also work out a series of illustrations and designs which I will upload into my own online shop next to my self-published mangas later.
It is quite hard to get attention that way but nowadays it is the only way to do so.
Sometimes I feel really overwhelmed and inferior looking at other successful people and have self-doubts if I can really make it so far.

Still, I want people to see my work, my main story which is filled with all my heart and tears, my beloved characters with their flaws and qualities. I want to participate in this changing world and leave an impression.

Regarding my accomplishments, I am really proud of my art and story writing since I had to teach myself everything from scratch. My family couldn't afford any schools, classes or special materials, so I had to work it out all myself. The skills I achieved through my hard work gives me the strength and optimism to keep on going.

Still, I don't really know what I can do else in order to be 'seen'. How could I prepare more for a freelance career?

I appreciate any thoughts, ideas, etc. (=w=) ~♥

UntoldStoryteller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sinuka,

Congrats for putting yourself out there. I am not extremely familiar with the manga world (though I do enjoy it!) but I have been a freelance writer for almost a decade. My next journey is moving away from freelance for corporate brands, blogs, and CEOS and into the fiction world. :)

Assuming there are some overlaps between the two worlds, here are some things I wish I had known when I started. At the time, I felt the same way you did. So many opportunities seemed to be referral based or portfolio driven and it’s hard to get either of those without some clients/work under your belt. The classic chicken or the egg scenario.

It sounds like you’re already on the right track. In addition to social media, I’d set up a professional looking website that showcases some of your best work and that discusses what you’re working on now (even if it’s just for yourself). Make sure it’s SEO optimized for your region/market/style. If that sounds like Greek to you, I’d probably invest in someone who can do it for you. Upwork DOT com is a great place to find great, affordable tech talent.

Once you have a presence, the single most important thing you can do is start building your portfolio. At least in the freelance writing world, there are often forums out there, like this one but geared toward getting gigs. In the corporate space, that was things like WriterAccess, UpWork, Creative Circle, etc. The pay was absolute $#!% in the beginning, but as I got some repeat clients and built that portfolio, I was able to take better control over my own destiny (and rates......... ;-D). I’m assuming there are places like that in the manga world, as well. You might have to do a little digging, or start with a non traditional route (think, posting your work for sale on Etsy or Deviant Art) to get there, but stick with it.

My advice is: be humble. Take whatever you can get to build experience and a base. The rest will come. :) Good luck!!!!