January 2021 Challenge - Build a Writing Habit!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy - congrats on the words and the reading
April - congrats on ch 15 and 600 words
Moon - you're on fire! WTG 1422!
kara - congrats on the 700
Morgan - great work with that 530 :)
Magnus - that sounds like a great day
Ptero, congrats on 3/4 page!
Woolly - way to go

Day 16

WIP 1) rewriting WIP 2) rewriting
R/SC - crafting
BP/$$ - job 5 hours, 3 housemate emails

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 17- Drive by. About 100 words today. Good night everyone and good luck.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 16 - 1,865 words on Barney, Mr. Thomas, and the Serum Maker. Wow! That's three days in a row getting a wordcount higher than 1k! (hopefully I didn't jinx myself)

Layla - I am on fire!

Ptero - That's true about short story lengths.

Morgan - Thank you!

Kara - You're right. I do love shorter short stories as much as I love longer ones.

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Day 17: 526 words

Magnus: That sounds like a nice day!
Pterofan: Nice work!
Woollybear: Sounds tricky, but I'm sure you'll figure it out!
Layla: Yay progress!
karasunoyashi: Yay words!
The Second Moon: You're really on a roll! Keep it up!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 16

Added words

DRESS HER IN CHAMELEON - Glanced through 6 chapters

April - YaY 600 words!

Layla - Grats on double rewriting!

Morgan - YaY 530

Malware invaded my Windows 7 desktop. In all the almost 11 years I’ve had it nothing like this has happened. I figure it’s because Windows no longer protects it, and Norton wasn’t up to it alone So, I just set it aside and am now using my laptop. I like it better now it’s on my proper desk instead of the side table. Thank the Lord for OneDrive and Libre Office! Cloud back up, that is. I don’t Care for the smaller screen, though, and am maybe going to buy one with a bigger monitor later on.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 16 - roughly a full page longhand.

Am I on the right day yet? I'm running a day behind in reporting because I've been writing before bed. Ditto for today. I just couldn't get my engine to turn over this morning (maybe I've got a wire loose now) so I did laundry instead. Now I'm working on an assignment. Writing to come later. This is not the habit I wanted to establish this month.

Moon - you are totally rockin' it!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
kara - way to go with that 100
Moon - way to keep at it! Congratulations on that 1865!
Morgan - nice 526
Cindy - congrats on the words and reading
Ptero, congrats on the full page

Day 17

WIP 1) very wee bit of writing WIP 2) rewrite
R/SC - crafting :), and made chocolate truffles & shared them at work,
BP/$$ -one housemate email, job 6 hours

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 17

DRESS HER IN CHAMELEON - Glanced over the last 2 chapters. Previewed via mockup Kindle tablet: Prologue: Children of Fate.

Layla - Congrats on a wee bit of writing and the rewrite.

Uploaded to Kindle Create and completed this and that and the other thing across the doc. If you’ve never worked with KC, it’s an eye-opener and not in a good way. I’m talking about how you labor in WORD or whatever your pleasure to get the manuscript just right, and then you have to clean up the conversion to KC--indents, spaces, and doo-wop diddly. I did a great deal of it today. The best thing about it is the Previewer where you actually view your book as it would look on a phone or tablet to catch formatting mistakes.

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 18- I wrote about 350 words on today's flash. I might write more latter but I 'm pretty beat.

Second- Way to go with the hat trick. You can get another one!

Morgan- Congrats on the 526 words.

Cindyt- Congratulations on getting the story uploaded and completed on Create. As for your computer issues, can you not connect the desktop monitor to the laptop? Or connect the laptop to the TV for that matter.

Ptero- We all fall off our wagon at some point.(or in this case fall into the back?) You'll find your way back on, just don't worry to much about it. I think your still doing great.

Layla- For truffles do you make a chocolate whip then freeze it an dip? I used to love chocolate truffles, then I ate an entire bag in one sitting, now I can't look at them.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 17 - 1,042 on Barney, Mr. Thomas, and the Serum Maker which finished up the first short story in it. That's FOUR days in a row reaching 1k! where is this energy coming from????

Kara - I did get another ay of passing 1k!

Cindyt - Yes, thank goodness for programs like OneDrive and Google Docs. I'm sorry that that happened to you.

Layla - I don't think I've ever had a chocolate truffle before. However, I'm not that big of a fan of chocolate candies. I enjoy chocolate ice cream, cake, brownies, etc. Just not chocolate candies.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the 15th onwards!

CindyT: looooooool, yeah I remember that song in college basically. Ahahaha, too many bottles of beer on my wall! Nice job.

ChaseJynx: Oooooo, that sounds interesting.

TSM: Hey! Ya I didn’t know it was a Alligator Creature with a watch! Ahahahaha. I didn’t see the watch at first but that’s cool. Needs to know the time! : - ) GREAT work!

Kara: Way to go!

Morgan: Hey, those are some good Hemingwayesque word counts! Nice work!

Ap123: Hey, that’s good stuff!

April: Look at you! Rockin’ out! GREAT! : )

Pterofan: Gotta love those battlin’ bots. Oh jeez, yeah it’s been ages since I had those but yeah.

Layla: Hey! Editing, ballet, and job? Nice.

CindyT: Addin’ words is gud! : )

April: Nice! Rockin’ it!

TSM: Nice! That’s a really solid word count! Good work and see ya later, Alligator! : ) I didn’t hear about the cat but I’m glad he/she is feeling better!

Kara: 700 is good work! Nice!

Morgan: Good job. Solid word count.

Magnus: Nice! No problem with that!

Pterofan: Longhand is good!

Woollybear: Yeah, that sounds good! Nice work!

Layla: Sounds good! Fingers crossed for the housemate and glad you’re rewriting! : )

Kara: No worries!

TSM: Wow. That’s quite a title. It sounds cool. What genre is it? : ) (I know it's MG, because I checked out your site but is it sci-fi?)

Morgan: Hey there! Nice.

CindyT: Yeah, the internet is a crazy place!

Pterofan: Take it on the run, as they say!

Layla: Oooooo, chocolate truffles sound delicious. : )

CindyT: Sounds like you’re doing it! Workin’ away!

Kara: Yeah, I’ve been pretty beat recently too but hoping for more progress today.

TSM: You’re on fire! Rockin’ the flames! Send some luck my way! Ahahahaah.

Me: I've been doing OK. I have a 850ish word piece that I'm sharing with a writing group today. It's a boxing story! I've been working on it and edited it yesterday to make sure it's up to par. Here's hoping! I'll let you know how it goes.

Good work gang!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Chapter 31 is coming along. Our hero has a little more focus and direction. She drives the action, more or less, through her fear which is ever-present at this point of the novel. I think the chapter will be acceptable by the 21st, my deadline.

Then on to incorporating a few weeks' worth of CP feedback, then another end-to-end read-through, then beta readers.

It's actually moving, you guys.

Keep swimming.

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals.

Been a couple of months since I last stopped by. Good to see lots of familiar avatars in this thread. Hi Layla and Woolybear. I'm glad you guys are making progress.

When last I appeared, I had completed roughly 14k words on my latest novel. I just got past the 60k mark and am in the end game. That doesn't seem like a lot for two months, but this story has been the hardest one for me to figure out in my head, much less get it into the computer.

Will report back in more regularly, I promise. :)

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Daniel: Awesome work. Good luck sharing your piece; hope you get useful feedback.

Second: Amazing! Mind sending some of that energy over here?!

karasunoyashi: Excellent 350. Hope you get some rest.

Cindyt: Well done with the ongoing formatting battles! I know the pain all too well.

Layla: Yay for writing, rewriting and truffles! Very impressed you managed to share them :p

Pterofan: Nice job getting a page in.

Morgan: Nice 526!

Woolly: Good luck with Chap 31!

Hi Kerry!

Day off yesterday, which was glorious. Wrote Chap 16 and half of Chap 17 today—3103 words in total. Hopefully two more days and the rough draft will be done.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Driveby here

I did over 6000 words last week on Dustworld. It is spiralling out of control a bit, the estimated wordcount going up from 90-100K to 110-115K. I've done 80K.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy, congrats on the reading and the text wrangling!
kara - w00t on 350 words - & I don't know what 'chocolate whip' is - I use heavy cream, cooking chocolate and butter. I had some leftover chocolate chips that I used for my first batch. Next batch I'm going to use a 50/50 combo of dark and milk cooking chocolate.
Moon, wow! You did it! (I've only written more than 1000 words in a day one time)
Hey Daniel - congrats on the 850 and the group work
woolly - nice work
Kerry - fwiw, it took me 6 months to write 10K
April - gloriousness all round! Way to 3K :)
Keithy, well done, good to see you!

Day 18

WIP 1) reading WIP 2) reading
R/SC - crafting; groceries, chores & admin; started looking for a new doctor (PCP)
BP/$$ - req. to join an online group to see if someone has a solution for a tech problem that's holding a project back

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 18

DRESS HER IN CHAMELEON - Deleted two epigrams from each of my parts for space sake and edited the Attributes page. Viewed 21 chapters via the Previewer and spotted edited this and that. That’s pretty dang good. The bad news is the conversion didn’t italicize some of the words and phrases. So, I’ll have to redwork that. Maybe it’s just a little here and there.

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET - Slapped Chapter 5 on the scene chart. I’m editing the SC with an aim toward the chapter and scene orientation which will begin within the next several chapters.

April - Thank you. Hope your day off was good.

Kara - First, I don’t have room to set my big old monitor up with my laptop. Second, I also don’t have room for even the smallest TV. I don’t have one anyway. My house was creepy crawled in 2012. The bugger took my flatscreen and came into my bedroom while I lay sleeping and stole every penny I had out of my purse, which was on the floor below me. Fortunately, I had money in the bank. Anyway, I never bought another TV. I stream.

Daniel - Good luck on the boxing piece!

Layla - Double read!

Moon - I keep wondering where I picked it up.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Happy 3 day weekend y'all. Ben plugging away at it, +254 words, 25 things resolved, and that's with adding 7 more. So I'm at 58% resolved, but also starting to run low on the quick/easy things. I also got my Remarkable 2, which is very exciting! I love using it and it'll make editing on a "paper draft" so much easier (and nicer on my wallet AND the environment).

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Day 18: 544 words

Driving by, on account of having overslept, and in hopes of not doing it again tomorrow.

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 19- 300 words or so written today. Also I did manage another 80 last night.

Morgan- Congrats on the 544.

Chase- The remarkable 2 sounds awesome! Good luck with it.

Cindyt- Oh my Goddess! That is awful! I don't have a TV either though it has more to do with no room than something traumatizing like that. I hope you are OK. I know it was a few years ago but I know that things like that can stick with you.

Layla- I meant a lighter, fluffier type of chocolate but solid, unlike mousse. I didn't know what to call it though. The only truffles I've ever had have a soft nugget(?) on the inside then a harder chocolate coating.

Daniel- Good luck with the boxing story.

Second- Have you been around any crossroads at midnight recently? Perhaps you met someone a little red in the face or wearing a hat that looked suspiciously like it was covering horns? Keep up the great work!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 18 - 114 words on Tap.

So, there goes my streak of passing 1k everyday, but yesterday was a rollercoaster of emotions. My mom went to the ER because she has been really sick lately. It turned out to be pneumonia. She's home, but I'm worried. Also yesterday my car's battery died while in my driveway, but that led to going to lunch with my little sisters which was a blast! I never hang out with them anymore. I really should. I also forgot to take my depression, anxiety, and ADD pills, so I was really emotional yesterday. I nearly broke down when I stepped on my cat, Pepper, by accident.

Kara - LOL.

ChaseJxyz - I also do the easy/quick things first when editing.

Cindyt - I rarely watch TV.

April - I would be glad to mentally send energy to anyone who needs it. *Sending energy* LOL.

Daniel - Barney, Mr. Thomas, and the Serum Maker is MG SF. Thanks for checking out my site.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I took the weekend off, so nothing for days 16 and 17

Day #18- 300 words
#19- 400 words

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Hi Keithy! Sounds like you’ve been busy :)

Layla: A productive day indeed!

Cindyt: Nice work!

Pterofan: Excellent job on both days. May the tea power you through!

Chase: Wow, that Remarkable thing looks really cool. Let us know how it works out. I can never bring myself to print out, so end up reading through on the Kindle and making handwritten notes on the side, which I then have to decipher and add in later. It’s also a pain to go through all my hand-written notes and transfer them to Scrivener. Hmm … maybe I need a Remarkable too! :p

Morgan: Argh, I hate it when I oversleep. 544 is great though.

karasunoyashi: Nice 300!

Second: I’m so sorry to hear that. Hope your mum is okay.

ap123: Nice work :)

I finished the draft. Woop! Wrote about 2.5k. If I could write exciting endings every day then this whole process would be a lot easier!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 17-19
Whoops. Sunday I wrote a little. Yesterday I wrote a little. Today I wrote for about two hours. I'm so confused though. This new project is just running away and I'm wondering what it is I'm doing differently. Also, it's a little scary because it's so different from my other stuff, and I don't know what I'll actually do with it. And I also kind of miss my main project and want to work on that as well. Waaagh! Need more time in the day. Or just the patronage of a rich widow. ;D

Anyway, we're still rolling. Words are being written. Keep at it, writers!

Last edited: