January 2021 Challenge - Build a Writing Habit!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to build a long-term writing habit, which can include writing, editing, research, etc. or anything else that supports your writing like self-care or just putting bread on the table.

By sharing your efforts here you'll get some accountability to help boost your motivation. And you'll be part of a community of fellow habit-builders who encourage and support each other!

Feel free to start the month out by stating your goals and to chat a little with the other participants as you report in. But it's up to each person how they wish to participate in the thread.

Here are some tips to start you on your path:

Set achievable goalsThis is by far the most important rule. Set your goals so that you can reach them consistently. That generally means aiming lower than you think; you'll want goals you can hit on the days you're feeling less motivated. Hitting a small goal will give you a confidence boost and set you up for success the next day, building momentum. A good goal is a little bit challenging but doesn't overwhelm you.

Accept failure and move on – Even with a small goal you'll inevitably fail some days. Don't worry about it. Failure is a natural part of improvement. Try to figure out why it happened and how you can prevent it in the future. Then forgive yourself and move on. Don't stack your goals, but start fresh the next day.

Be patient and persistent – It takes a long time to build a strong habit, and sometimes you won't notice the progress you're making day-to-day because it happens in tiny increments. Keep at it. Sticking with the habit gets easier with time, but that being said: don't trust it to run on autopilot. It's when you've think that you've 'made it' that it's easy to stumble. If you keep at it, your progress will be slow and steady; it's the only type of progress that lasts.

Be adaptive – Not everything that works for others will work for you, and sometimes what works for you changes with time. Always be ready to mix things up if you're stuck in a rut. Does reward work better than punishment for you? Is it better to get the writing out of the way or to get other stuff done first so you can relax? Do you perhaps need different goals for different days of the week? Do you need skip days? A good habit is one that works for you.

Good luck, and see you in January!

Last edited:

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
I'm here to keep up my one 45-minute writing session per day, hoping that it will continue to spark more writing sessions and keep strengthening the habit. Timed sessions works way better for me than word count did. I tend to get stuck on thinking too much about where to get started today, and it builds up pressure. So I've learned just to open the document, sit down, and start the timer. Then I'll scramble to get going because the clock is ticking!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Right on.

OK, in January I plan to make the 'final' (hah!) significant revisions to my WIP before seeking beta readers. I will also approach beta readers.

1. Fold prologue into chapter 4.
2. Fix chapter 27
3. Fix chapter 31
4. A round of polish on printed copy
5. Beta readers!

6. Also, keep workshopping excerpts.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Below is my goal schedule. I've already started on it, and it's working.

• Do something every day to maintain the construction habit
  • Monday - Friday: Work solely on my main WIP
  • Saturday - Work on the secondary WIP (and a bit on the main)
  • Sunday - Work on a Growing Up Buford Blog article (and a bit on the main.)

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
My goal:

Finish the spew draft of "Dust World"

---

Recent days work: writing folklore stories

I've taken the idea of telling stories in the books from "Watership Down". It's a means to add worldbuilding and depth.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I'm in. My goal is to write something related to an actual for-publishing project every day first thing in the morning. That gets the writing requirement out of the way early and takes the pressure off so I don't feel guilty all day long. If that works out, I'll try adding a second evening session on the laptop (the morning will always be longhand; no YouTube to provide distractions).

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Whew. Life is crazy these days. I will keep trying to:

1) write new words on either of my two WIPs,
2) one action of responsibility or self-care
3) one action to improve my living-space or to bring in (more) money

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Hello familiar names and faces, and everyone else too! My primary goal for January is to write every day. I have additional "stretch goals" of 500 or 1000 words. I'm also hoping to finish the first draft of Windborn, the middle grade fantasy novel I'm working on.

My secondary goal is to brainstorm every day. I'm chronically short on ideas, and I'd like to change that. Making a deliberate daily practice of brainstorming seems like it might help.

Last but not least, I'm going to be trying to get up in the morning. As opposed to the afternoon. I work pretty late, but not so much that I can't be at my computer and writing by noon. So, yes. That's a goal.

See you all in 2021!

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello again. This month my main goal will just be to write something each day. I will also aim to complete a flash piece each Monday and do WIP stuff the other days.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! We got a good groupa already! Yay!

I want to write a little bit every day and continue my good reading habits. All in good time.

Also, make more efforts to reply in the thread. I don't like missing days!

You're all winners. LET'S ROCK! (Aliens!)

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Good to see so many joining up! I've decided to take it easy over the long weekend, no pressure of any sort, then hit the ground running on Monday. It will actually be interesting to see if I end up writing even when I'm giving myself a pass -- out of habit. ;)

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Years everyone one! Like some others have said, it looks like a good group this month. I can't wait to read your updates. Let's all do our best!

Day 1- I wrote 270 words so far and have some time to get in a second session in later if I want to, so I feel like it is a good start for the month and year.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hi and happy New Year everyone, it's been a while :)

Hoping to get myself going again in terms of writing, my goal will be the same as I've used here in the past: write some words every day, regardless of number.

I have a *thing* I wrote an opening to about a year ago, maybe it will become an actual WIP.

Day 1-150 words.

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year, one and all!

Day 1: 1000 words exactly!

karasunoyashi & ap123, nice starts!

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
My goal is to do some editing work on [birds] every day. My Q1 goal is to get [birds] out to beta readers. My 2020 goal is to get [birds] out on submission and then start a new novel.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
kara, nice 720
Morgan - great start with the 1K

Me, I'm taking a skip day :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Am merging the prolog and chapter 4 today.

Discovered that chapter four is infodump. That's why I needed to re-work it. Guy is sitting there musing, and I need to make him want something. Which was why I wrote the prolog to introduce him... because he wants something in the prologue... but I want to fold it into Chapter 4.

Working on it. Puzzling over it. Made some progress.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 1 - about half a page longhand on Book 4

First day of the month and already I foresee problems. Once the heroes gather in the cemetery and discover what's in the fourth grave, that's where I run out of plot. I may need to switch back to Book 2. That's the one where I have the clearest idea how it ends.

Morgan - Welcome to the 1K club! You're off to a great start!

Horrorschach

Registered
Reaction score
15+ minutes of reading about writing (apparently outlines are a thing)
30+ minutes of writing that nobody will ever see (as this is for my own selfish desire to someday become one of you writer folk)
15+ minutes of responses and investigation via the forums
10+ minutes of staring into the abyss and reminding me of my motives

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 1

Word Count 282

DRESS HER IN CHAMELEON - I read 2 1/3 chapters and glanced over 2 chapters.

NIGHTMARE ON SOOT MOUNTAIN - The Second Billy Estrella Novel. I went ahead and created the Word Document and slapped the title and copyright pages. I’ve had the cover image for years, but I’m not sure I’ll use it because it may not fit this version of the plot. Not going to start the actual new write until I get A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET in the can.

Woolly - WTG on progress!

Ptero - Nice half-page in longhand. I hate it when that happens. Stepping away from it might just do the trick.

Layla - Have fun!

Kara - Nice 270! Good luck on the next session

ap - WTG on 150 words! Good writing on the ‘thing.’

Morgan - Hooray for the 1k club!

Horror - Sounds like you had a productive first day!

Chase - Good luck on birds! Got my stimulus check today.

Last edited:

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 2- About a hundred words with some editing of what I wrote recently.

Cindyt- Nice 282 and good work on the chapters.

Horror- Welcome and good luck! I hope someday you find the abyss staring back.

Ptero- Good work on the writing and good luck on finding those plot bunny-shifters.

Woolly- Yay progress!

Morgan- Welcome to the 1k club! You're doing great.

ap123- Congrats on the 150 words.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are awesome.

It's been a stressful time with the Tier 4 restrictions, but I'm determined to get back on the wagon.

As long as I sit down and write every day, however many words, I'll be happy.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
*Drive by*

Day 1 - 7 words. Wait! Don't judge yet. I spent most of my time making a map in MS Word for a new WIP. It looks crude but I just needed to get down the basics.

Horror - Welcome! This Thread is awesome for accountability.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1 & 2
Without any pressure, I sat down yesterday to take some notes on a short story idea I had a while back. After having put the basics down, I realised it didn't really have enough to it to swing on its own. But that's a good thing because now I can set it aside unless some new idea pops up. And today I did a session on my side project just because I felt like I needed to keep going, so there's the habit for you. Tomorrow is also a day off, so we'll see how that works out. Time now for RPGs!

Welcome to all the new folks! Let's get those words out everyone. :D