January 2021 Challenge - Build a Writing Habit!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 21 - 331 words. The new WIP is here to stay. That brings me to a total of six WIPs.

I watched the We Bare Bears movie in the middle of the day and found myself to dazed by it to write anything after viewing. Gosh, that was a good movie. (if you don't know what We Bare Bears is it's a American kids' cartoon that I am totally in love with.)

Cindyt - Yes! So happy for you.

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 22- As I expected I spent my writing time cleaning up what I write throughout the week. Still added words just took more away.

Second- Good job on both days.

Morgan- Nicely done.

Ptero- Congratulations on get some series writing in.

Layla- I was definitely thinking of Lindor and the other knockoffs. Yours sound much better.

Cindyt- Congrats on publishing!

Chase- Good luck with the research rabbit hole. I hope you find some useful but interesting stuff.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 21 & 22
Three sessions yesterday, one today, all on my 'mystery project'. It's quite liberating to be working at this pace. I just really hope I can transfer some of this freedom into my other stuff. But right now, no looking in the mouths of gift horses and whatnot.

Layla -- Yep! Not long ago I was struggling to get any words down at all, so I shouldn't be complaining about this state of affairs. :D
April -- Me, overthink? What are you saying, that I think too much? Is that it? Because I'm not sure about that. Or maybe you're right... I have to think about this! :p
Morgan -- Yeah it's annoying sometimes. They had issues with DDOS attacks and since then the place has been slower and a little buggy. But it's worth it, I find.

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Day 22: 523 words

Admin: Thanks. I'll try to not stress out about it. And thanks for keeping the site up and running.
Pterofan: Yay back on schedule! Keep it up!
Layla: Yay progress!
Cindyt: Ironing out the last wrinkles! Very exciting!
Kerry: 4k is a solid chunk in just a few days, very nice!
Chase: Kudos for all the thought you're putting into your WIP!
The Second Moon: Yay words! And yay juggling WIPs!
karasunoyashi: Yay words, both positive and negative!
Magnus: Very nice! And yeah, I realize it's hard to keep a big site running smoothly, it's just frustrating.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Cindyt: Happy publication day! Such a great achievement :)

Morgan: Excellent work!

Pterofan: Woop for being on schedule!

Layla: Can’t believe you worked on two projects on top of a 12 hour shift. Very impressive!

Kerry: Great 4k. Hope the ending gets you excited again.

Chase: Well, that one sentence certainly escalated!

Second: Nice 331. It’s a good feeling to have so many ideas.

Magnus: :) Glad you’re on a roll.

I wrote out a few of the plot threads, cut them up, laid them out on the floor, and stared at them in the hope they’d magically arrange themselves into the right pattern. Sadly, this did not happen, so I guess I’ll have to figure it out myself. Sigh.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 22

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET - Spot edited Chapter 6 and slapped it on the scene chart. I combined Chaps 7 and 8.

Kerry - Thank you. Actually, I think Moon recently published a Barney book.

Ptero - Is coyote man a shape shifter? I have one of a kind in my book. And thank you!

April - You will hit the groove. And thank you.

Kara - Grats on added words! And thank you!

Layla - Sleepy sleepy

Morgan - It’s on amazon right now.

Moon - Thank you! I’m happy for you too!

A former creative writing teacher, author Bonnie Hill Hearn, (see quote on siggy) bought my book! And we had a conversation about reading and writing going together. I also told my former college English Lit professor. He was delighted. I created a Cindy Wiggins Tapia FB group instead of a biz page.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't actually written these last couple of days, but after obsessing for months, I think I'm finally starting to see what I want to do in terms of structuring this thing. Now to figure out how to do it.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 22 - 1,723 words on The Green Star.

Yesterday was a good day. I wrote a lot of words and I made coconut macaroons (that didn't burn this time). Also I learned that our very own Cindyt is now a published author! Way to go!

Cindyt - Out of everyone on this forum I think I like hearing from you the most. I think it was the Billy/Billie thing that united us. Also, thank you for remembering Barney, Mr. Thomas, and the Alligator Creature. That made my day and it's only 6 in the morning where I live.

ap123 - I'm glad you see where you are going with your WIP.

Ptero - I love vampires stories.

Morgan - I've never had a problem juggling WIPs. I guess because of my ADD I get bored easy, so I like having multiple projects to work on.

Kara - I hate cleaning the house.

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 23- Drive by. I did some more revising then wrote 220 words on another story. Good luck everyone!

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Day 23: 517 words

April: Sorry your threads aren't cooperating. Good luck sorting them out!
Pterofan: That sounds like a fun scene!
Layla: Hello and goodbye!
Cindyt: CONGRATS, that's fantastic!
ap123: That sounds like progress!
The Second Moon: Fantastic wordcount! Well done!
karasunoyashi: Yay revising! Yay words!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Currently in drive-by mode. I went on another road trip today because I had to get out of the house. I'll write some flash tonight before bed.

Highlight of the road trip was finding a DVD of The Stand (the '90s miniseries) in a $5 bin in a WalMart. Always enjoyed that version, though I might have problems watching it now because the actor who played Tom Cullen has been doing the voice of Patrick on Spongebob for the past several years. M-o-o-n, that spells Spongebob. (Joke for Stephen King fans. :))

Cindy - yes, he's a shapeshifter. So is the FMC. That could lead to problems. The conflict was supposed to be between her and the alpha-hole brother, but now this new guy--one of her own species--is throwing yet another monkey in the wrench. I may have to rethink this whole thing.

Second Moon - I like vampires too, though the ones in this series aren't very nice. Except for Helmut, the former WWII German soldier. He teams up with Bobby the Cajun werewolf. That was one of those surprises that happened on the page. Sometimes I love pantsing.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy, nice work with that editing. (ps - so exiting that your teacher bought your book :) )
ap - good to see you. Here's to some flow!
Moon - w000t! 1.7K :D
kara, nice work!
Morgan, congrats on the 517
April! Hello! Goodbye!
Ptero - enjoy that trip

Day 23 - I took a skip day on my WIPs and from just one day away it was hard to get back to it.

WIP 1) bit of editing WIP 2) editing/rewriting
R/SC - bit o' crafting, bit o' chores
BP/$$ - job 5 hours

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 23

Added words

RESEARCH - Does Sig Sauer manufacture a double barrel automatic pistol? Who ya gonna contact? A cop. A former cop? Ah, but a PI will do, and I just happen to have one in my family--though he’s an ex NIL now. He is a former county mounty turned detective. H resigned because they weren’t paying him enough. Now, he’s a PI for a monster company in Atlanta and makes a butt load. I’m waiting for a reply.

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET - Split Chapters 7 and 8 again. Spot edited Chapters 7, 8, 9 and slapped them on the scene chart.

Ptero - Glad you had fun and it’s awesome you found that first version of The Stand. It’s one of my fave SK books and movies.

Layla - Nice bit of work. And she’s going to let me use her comments about it on my next book.

Morgan - Thank you! Grats on 517 word count!

Moon - We are def a one about somethings. Glad I made somebody’s day. Woot for 1723 words!

This was supposed to be White Wolf Saturday, but I had an urge to work on Scarlet.

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 24- 335 words and maybe some more after this.
Cindyt- What do you mean double barreled automatic pistol? Like the Arsenal Firearms AF2011A1? That is the only one I know of, and I had to google the name. Of course, it's been years since I've been around guns so take it with a heap of salt.

Ptero- That is a lucky find. I'm not a huge Stephen King fan but I loved that miniseries.

April- I hear a bowl of Trix gets the bunnies every time. But I might just be showing my age. Do they still have those commercials.

Morgan- Congrats on the 517.

Ap123- Stick with it. You can do it!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 23 - 198 words on The Green Star. I spent most of my writing yesterday daydreaming of a new project. I really want to write it, but is 7 WIPs too much??? IDK.

Cindyt - I don't get many sales, so I'm glad you recalled that my book even existed.

Ptero - In my vampire WIP the MC is a vampire and so is his dad. I'm a pantser and I love when stuff like you described happens on the page.

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Layla: Well done for hopping back on the wagon. I'm the opposite: I really need the breaks or I dry up.

Cindyt: That is one productive Saturday!

karasunoyashi: The carrots haven't worked so maybe I'll try that instead. Or do bunnies like wine? (Excellent 335!)

Second: Hey, lucky number seven, right?!

I'm nearly done with the broad restructure; just need to figure out a couple more chapters. Then I'll need to go in and figure out the details.

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Day 24: 510 words

April: Good luck!
Layla: Glad you were able to get back to it!
Cindyt: Yay editing!
karasunoyashi: Nice work!
The Second Moon: Yay words! Good luck, whatever you decide!
April: Yay restructuring!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 23 & 24
Two sessions on mystery project yesterday, nothing at all today. But it's Sunday, so just had a very chill day.

Keep at it everyone!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 24

Added Words

A DEADLY SPILL OF SCARLET - Spot edited Chapters 10 and 11 and slapped them on the scene chart. Chapter was a heavy in that I had to catalogue all the crime scene details on the scene chart.

April - Thanks. Good luck with the restructure. I’m doing the same thing with Scarlet.

Kara - a side by side or over and under pistol. I saw the Arsenal Firearms AF2011A1?. The PI was not help. Lol. Anyway, I decided not to even mention the barrel.

Morgan - YaY 510 words!

Moon - I haven’t gotten sales either. I going to market it but right now my bank account is frozen until I get my new debit card due to some someone hacking into my Hulu account.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Days 22-24: Nothing happened on Friday because of a killer migraine (storm system moved in this weekend, I wrote an email for work and that was the limit of ability to word that day), Saturday I was still pretty out of it but I did some research for [monsters], mostly about alchemy. Today work happened! I got coffee with lunch and that staved off any further problems. -106 words, and closed 16 tasks (but wrote down 8 more so the net is -8). I went through all the dialogue for an immigrant character and simplified it/made it more consistent with how she'd actually talk. One of the problems I know I have is everyone sorta just...talks the way I would. Or at least I would in their situation. So having a character have a strong voice like that felt good.

Also I feel bad skipping writing responses to other people for so long. I plan on going back to doing that with future posts.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
kara, congrats on the 335
Moon, congrats on the 198 (is 7 too much? You'll find out!)
April, nice work
Morgan - nice 510! (me too)
Magnus, roll with that skip day :)
Ptero, congrats on that flash
Cindy, way to go on the words and the editing
Chase, (((hugs))) about the migraine & congrats on the 106 words.

Day 24 - welp - I wrote up my post, and then forgot to post it...

WIp 1) added words WIP 2) revising
R/SC - moar crafting!
BP/$$ job 7 hours