RCMP or NATO Tactical Sign Language

TulipMama

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy all,

In part of my story, my MC is running around with a group of RCMP ERT officers (think Canadian SWAT), and they talk via sign language while conducting a raid on my BBEG. Right now, I have ASL as my stand in, but I'd think the RCMP would use a NATO standard sign language for tactical operations.

I've spent enough time in the military to know the basics for army signs (come here, slow down, single file, etc) but how would I say '20 bodies, 50 meters away, sedate/relaxed'? I have a bit of a gag where my MC has a hard time remembering her ASL and, in conveying the situation, reflects that she may have asked about a local pie-eating contest instead and she really needs to brush up on her finger wiggling.

It may have to go, since any tactical sign language would prioritize brevity, and tactical vocabulary over pie-eating contests.

Still, if anybody knows of any resources they could send my way re: NATO tactical sign language, that'd be great!

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I wouldn't assume that a civilian police agency uses NATO procedures. I can't speak for the RCMP, but for example most US police agencies use their own phonetic alphabet and radio procedures ('ten codes') and there is no real standard.

In military tactical ops, there are some de facto "standard" signage that is used, i.e. pat to the shoulder to indicate come here, finger point and finger count to indicate a small number of bad guys, etc... but any sort of detailed exchange of information is going to be relayed over a whisper. I am not aware of any defined NATO standard, and yes, I did use to do that for a living.

It is fair to assume that a small police tactical unit is going to have a set of pre-agreed on signs that will be used to relay basic information. Bear in mind that police and military have somewhat different informational needs, even in a tactical environment.

Last edited:

Vonsey

Registered
Reaction score
No standard NATO sign language I know of. You have the standard military (enemy there, freeze, hold, I see X). From my time in the infantry, I learned a lot of it is unit specific. We developed our own SOP and simple was the rule of the day. More complex information (50 people, carrying X) would involve everyone freezing and whispering into someone’s ears. Keep in mind that people have reduced visibility at night and even during the day it is a bitch to convey info properly.

If you are trying to get a large amount of info out, I recommend they use standard hand and arm signals to freeze. Once everyone is hunkered down have someone sneak back and inform who needs to know by whispering. Also it wouldn’t be uncommon for team leaders to go to their soldiers and also whisper commands and updates on situations in their ears.

There really is no situation where they would hold a conversation in ASL or anything like that. Hell, I bet wearing gloves would prevent most of that also