• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[YADS] Webnovel

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Hi all,

I recently received a solicitation from an editor (?) at Webnovel.com. They'd like to distribute the ebooks from my defunct self-publishing brand.

My Nigerian Prince radar went up, but then I researched it, and it's a legitimate Chinese ebook website (https://www.webnovel.com/). Their Twitter has 10k followers with 50 followed (ratio indicates a real audience) and they have 500k Facebook followers.

Quick search here on AW, and I found a thread about the parent company's IPO, but no personal experience of writers working with them.

I feel uneasy, maybe because of the TikTok stuff, but man, if I can make millions from a self-publishing brand which I find embarrassing now, I will!

Does anyone have experience with this organization?

I can post the email too, if anyone's curious.

Thanks everyone!

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I know that a "webnovel" is original fiction that's published solely (or first) online, mostly in the context of Chinese stuff? Like Heaven's Official Blessing and the like. Since China (the country) has a totally different Internet than we do, I don't think they're actually using Webnovel.com, but I also don't know what people on the actual worldwide web use to access it. I've asked my writer friends who are very into Wuxia about the site and will report back when I get an answer.

ETA: It's not the place that those things are posted to and they haven't heard of it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Last edited:

desdenova

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexsgarcia.com
There are several sites like that. I don't have any particular experience with webnovel.com but I was once (not that long ago) approached by MoboReader. They don't display any rates on their website, but when asked about that, this is what they said: "our quoted price is $5 per 1000 words. One chapter contains nearly 1000-1500 words. we'll pay you 10th of every month"

Now I don't know if Webnovel uses the sames rates, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the same general ballpark.

They're legitimate sites, I believe, but I feel like their rates are probably good for Chinese writers, but not so much outside of China where living costs tend to be higher.

That being said, in your specific case, it could still be worth it, since you have an existing back catalog... whatever they pay you would likely be better than just letting all that stuff sleep and not make any money at all.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I use WebNovel. It's focus is non-US/UK markets (China, Philippines, various) and very high volume (daily chapter) writers creating extremely long works--effectively serials. The pay is generally based on popularity and it seems that for most people it does not amount to very much. For a completed book with commercial potential I suspect you have many better options. The more successful authors there are highly, highly prolific, add thousands of words daily, and are writing specific tropes (e.g. harem, system).

Last edited: