1920s, especially New York

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a historical fantasy circa 1924. I read Anything Goes by Lucy Moore, which was very good for famous people and big events, and I'm reading Daily Life in the United States 1920-1940 by David E. Kyvig, which is great for the general day to day things. Does anyone familiar with the time period or pertinent books have any suggestions? Something specific to New York during the time would be great since much of my book will take place there. Anything about coal mining would be great too as that culture plays a part at one point.

Thank you for any suggestions in advance.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Following. A future project is in this same vein (and for me, the Italian angle).

I've recently read Passing, Jazz, and a light mystery (Murder in little Italy) to get a feel for the era/NYC. I've also got Manhattan Transfer and Ragtime on my nightstand, as well as an indie-published memoir from a descendant of an Italian immigrant and a book of photos in the Images of America series (I recommend checking out that series on Amazon.). The books around The Godfather are on my to-be-considered list.

Curious what other people will say on this topic.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For fiction set there, F. Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby is of course classic. I think his The Beautiful and the Damned take place there too. For NYC, you got tons of source material available. Don't forget to look at newspapers from the time, too.

Since you're interested in coal mining, are you interested in upstate NY? For non-fic all I can think to recommend is Energy by Richard Rhodes, although by the 1920s he focuses more on oil and less on coal, and less so on the lives of coal miners.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
If your focus is NYC, another resource is the Bowery Boys Podcast.

Over 300 episodes with extensive research. If you are lucky, a few of them might work for your project.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
For my 1920s paranormal, I chose to have it take place in my hometown and found looking through the microfilm of the newspapers of the time to be invaluable. I also read articles that a local historian wrote about the town, especially anything that would pertain to my story, mostly what shops and buildings were around at the time and where. Sanborn maps helped with that too. I can't help with New York, since my research was extensively on the specific year I chose (1923) and my small town. And being paranormal (vampires and a ghost) I felt I could fudge a few things if I couldn't find what I was looking for. Thankfully, I found a lot of historical material to help me with most anything I needed to know, including tiny details no one else knows are true but me.