Count that word in your WIP

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd suggest a new game just in time for the holidays. :)

It's similar to "Find that word in your WIP," but this time we give the number of occurrences of a word in our WIP along with our total word count. So, this can be a common word or an uncommon word--your choice.

Example: The word 'said' is in my WIP 508 times (of 120,000 words total). The word 'obstinate' is in my WIP once.

To count the words in Word, go to Edit --> Find --> Replace and enter the word you are curious about in the first field.

Anyone want to join in? The first word is 'quiet'.

Count it, report it, and suggest a new word! :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Grumble-grumble) Apparently that's just in MS Word. I have Libre Office and Open Office installed on this computer, but neither seems to have a similar function that counts the number of times a word appears. It can find them, one by one by one, but I'm reluctant to commit to counting them myself.

Anybody tech-ish know of a way to count occurrences of a word in Libre Office or Open Office?

Maryn, who wanted to play too

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I want Maryn to play!

:)

Does this help?

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61457

As a workaround, you can use the Find & Replace dialog to Find All and then exit and select Tools>Word count. It will give the number of words, to be divided by the number of words in the original string to get the number of sentences.

Or you can write a macro that ask the user for the string and then count the occurrences and display the result. I think that you should find enough code snippet in the macro forum.

You can do a find & replace with the same string: the dialog will show the total number of replacements, which will of course also be the number of occurrences.

IDK if this is the right answer, not being a openoffice user...

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh that's a good one--Zero instances of motley.

peered

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sat down at the old desktop, which has a defective copy of Word (don't ask!), just to play in this thread.

I have the word experiment in my WIP exactly once.

Next word, deep.

Maryn, deep thinker (snort!)

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
I sat down at the old desktop, which has a defective copy of Word (don't ask!), just to play in this thread.

I have the word experiment in my WIP exactly once.

Next word, deep.

Maryn, deep thinker (snort!)

deep - 22 times (out of 55,000)

From the same sentence as the first result:
discussion

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn! Hello!!!! :)

Seven instances of discussion in 120000 words.

I am curious about the word 'liked' (I am also curious about the words hated, or disliked, or loved, for comparison.)

Last edited:

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn! Hello!!!! :)

Seven instances of discussion in 120000 words.

I am curious about the word 'liked' (I am also curious about the words hated, or disliked, or loved, for comparison.)

Oooh these would be interesting ones to get multiple people's takes on, so I'll abstain from providing a replacement word. I was surprised how few of these I found:

liked - 1 (out of 55k, 11 if you count present tense "like" — but not the comparative adjective "like")

hated - 2 (but they're right next to each other. 4 if you count present tense "hate" and the noun "hate")

disliked - 0

loved - 5 (6 if you counted "beloved," 27 if you count present tense "love" and "loves" and the noun "love")

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Let me go to the other computer and hope it's not hanging up on the Windows update...)

Out of a massive (and being edited for length) 130K:
liked, 32
hated, 7
disliked, 0
loved, 23

Hm, next word. How about very?

Edit: To get only very and not every and bravery and such, put the blank space before the word you search for: _very

Maryn, knowing she's very likely to find too many

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm thinking we need to include our genre, heh, because that's a lotta likin' and lovin', and I love it, Maryn.

very = 59 (is that too many in 120K? I have no idea! LOL. ) Several are in the usage 'this very moment' or similar, and the word 'exact' could replace those. (My like=7, love=24, dislike = 3, hate 13... that includes other tenses etc)

In the spirit of 'very' I will suggest 'just'. (68, here)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
38 for smiled, and another 23 for smile. That's about a 1/200 rate.

Along those lines, how about nodded?

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
he - 1,646
she - 2,803 (Yay, girl power!)
they - 417

Genre: Thriller 100K

It might be interesting to see more numbers for he/she/they,

And, I'll add a new word: water

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Water, 93 of 130K erotic romance. What can I say, they shower a lot.

I'll play along on he/she/they rather than give a new word. This will take a bit, I imagine.

he 1364, once I figured out that I needed a blank space both before and after or I picked up all kinds of words with h-e embedded, so I probably missed he'll and he's

she 619 (but it's a female first person narrator)

they 427

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm stumbling over the he/she/they bit myself. This manuscript is 34 chapters, and 17 are in 'her' perspective. Two 'he's' split up the other seventeen chapters.

I've made various 'people in charge' female, trying to bring that egalitarian vibe. A couple of the 'he's' are a committed gay couple. So I don't understand why my 'she's' come in lower than my 'he's' but hopefully it's not all down to internalized mysogyny, and it's worth digging into a bit

My project is science fantasy, 120000 words.

he: 1610
she: 1307
him: 332
her: 1498 (?)
his: 1615
hers: 7 (?)

(Upon reflection, his can indicate ownership, as can her. Him is an an object, as is her. His box, her box, the box was his, the box was hers, it was him at the door, it was her at the door. I think this wobble in grammar explains the funny distribution for those four words preceding this ramble. In other words, the spike of her and his compared to him and hers is probably due to possessive usage. So, him+his=1947; her+hers=1505.)

they: 433
their: 266

And I'm curious for more data on this one... so will leave the prompt. I kinda want to dig into these numbers a little deeper.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I sadly do not have any neopronouns in this story! Though maybe I should, or at least for some future characters.

For ~190k words fantasy:
He/him/his: 3,277/966/1,511
She/her/hers: 3,568/2,886/13
They/them/their: 1,442/621/530
I do have a character that uses it/its sometimes but there's no way to count that with all the other uses of it

I default to they/them if the gender is unknown/ambiguous. There's only one named character who is always a they/them (well, two, but being mentioned in a footnote isn't really being much of a character). In my big ol' spreadsheet I do have characters who could also use/be fine with they but it's like....where do I even bring that up? I know Rick Riordan did with Alex Fierro since she's genderfluid and very specifically uses she or he, never they, but that's also a book for kids who may not be familiar with that stuff before.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While people continue to share their counts for the various pronouns, let me toss out another word for counting: look, looked, looking.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
All cases of look*=348.

look: 79

(mostly within dialog, sometimes as a command, occasionally as part of a descriptive phrase 'with a look of...', and part of one character's voice is the verbal tic "Look, (sentence)."

looks: 13

(sometimes as a simile in dialog, occasionally as a noun... his looks had deteriorated)

looked: 197

(looked up = 34, looked down = 13, looked away = 16, looked back and forth = 7, looked at = 26, looked like = 16, looked for = 3, looked around = 12...)

looking: 39 (similar breakdown to above.)

I'm curious about the word great.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
200 looks in various forms in Snow White and the Civil War, but that was one I actively worked on reducing.

41 instances of great.

Another one that I looked at cutting when possible was "was." I had 1526 instances in 356 pp. of manuscript, 95k. It's 1360 if you search with a space fore and aft, which is probably a better count, since Snow White did a fair amount of washing. According to my trade-pubbed beta friend, her editors wanted no more than 3 instances per page, which makes me heavy. But I think some of the write-arounds to get that was/is/were count down are worse than the problem--you see a lot of longer sentences with a lot of participial phrases.

I'd be interested to see what others' "was" counts are, if you don't mind sharing. : )

Last edited: