about frames in covers.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Normally I don't care for frames on covers, but I like it on yours (the second example). That's just my opinion, though. Maybe someone with a better eye for art can be of more assistance.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen on social media, frames around covers are a real no-no. From what I've read, they made it look unprofessional. I'm personally not a fan of them either because it looks more like a painting or picture than a book cover.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I had a frame in my cover, it was part of the image (see Golden Key cover, in sig). And it was an addition by my Deranged Doctor Design, who many people on AW have used for covers.

Feel free to blow off the rest of this post, but while I'm here, the border is the least of your problems. You've got a cover that ignores most principles artists use to attract attention.

1. It's overwhelmingly gray. Color attracts attention. Many people use opposites on the color wheel, red-green, blue-orange, that sort of thing. If nothing else, I'd strongly recommend a splash of red or orange somewhere.

2. It has very little contrast. You need more darks and lights, IMO.

3. Consider centering your subtitle and your author name. And in my limited experience, cursive or script isn't used much except for romance novels, so you might consider changing that.

4. And I can't tell your genre by glancing at the cover. Sure, it's in another language, but I should still be able to tell. On closer examination, it appears to be nonfiction. I would strongly advise going to Amazon and looking up the top nonfiction financial covers. They tend to be in bright colors with block lettering. I'd copy what works, in bits and pieces, one element at a time. When you're done, your cover should fit right in with the top sellers.

Hope this helps. : )