• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Good ways to reduce dialogue tags

Pencrafter

Registered
Reaction score
He said, She said

fatiguing to write AND to read. I’ve been experimenting with:

Andrea:where did you take the family yesterday?
Bobbie: we went to the Zoo

Any other ways of doing this while enabling the reader to keep straight who’s talking?

Thank you!

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I use tags, but they're not always dialog tags. Movement/motion can help ID the speaker. Here's an example:

The girl gasped when she looked up from the desk. "Man, I'd hate to see the other guy. What can I do for you? Call an ambulance?" She let a tiny giggle out at her last comment, but her concern still seemed genuine.
Egger smiled. "No, thank you though. I could use some help getting my rig set up though."
"No problem. My brother's around back, and he'll get you in your spot and hooked up real quick." She placed a registration form and pen on the counter. "How long you staying with us?"
"Perhaps a week, if you've the space."
"We sure do. Got a nice quiet spot in the back for you." She typed something on the computer, then looked back at him. "So what happened to you?"

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anything will be fatiguing if it's overused and tossed out repeatedly with no thought.

You are not seeking 'to reduce dialogue tags' - you are apparently seeking to eliminate them.

If you want to write the dialogue in your novel as if it's the script for a play you are perfectly free to do so. Whether other folk want to read your novel's dialogue like that is another matter. And you wouldn't be the first to play around with dialogue like that.

My question for you is ...Why?

Better to understand the dialogue and the purpose of it and then to use careful word choice and to tag it appropriately.

He said, She said

fatiguing to write AND to read. I’ve been experimenting with:

Any other ways of doing this while enabling the reader to keep straight who’s talking?

Thank you!

Last edited:

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
Polk posted a good twitter thread about this the other day:

someone in a writing discord asked if said/says is distracting. i announced that i had an answer, but it was a long one.

so. dialogue attribution. HOW DO

in this essay i will

1. said or says is largely invisible to the eye. BUT. It is highly audible to the ear. if you are writing something that's going to audio format, you don't want to pepper your pages with said like you're trying to rescue a bland piece of chicken.

2. you can get away with a few instances of words like muttered or whispered or opined. a FEW. Much fewer than your instances of said. but they can get real corny real fast.

3. you can use action tags, like "Muriel paused, her fork halfway to her mouth. 'What do you mean, Netherfield is let at last?'"

4. an excellent choice is to deliberately and consciously cultivate character voice, so most of the time, the reader already knows intuitively who is talking by the way the character is saying it--

"The time? It's fourteen twenty seven."

"not sure. I reckon it's about 2:30."

"do i look like an information booth to you?"

and the answer is - use all of these. but if you can only use one of these techniques, go with 4. every time.

I probably lean a little over-heavily on action tags, myself. Ideally you want a nicely paced blend of all these. Relying on voice alone would be nice, but very few characters are voicey enough to sustain a whole novel without attribution (and if they are they're probably insufferable).

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Try looking at 'she said' etc as the blank areas of your canvas.

You can use that area (that blank 'real estate') to add action beats (which amounts to narrative motion, which is important as it keeps a piece from being static, and cmhbob showed some nice examples) or emotion, which requires practice but tags can be repurposed in this way--and emotion is important, or you can delete them.

A good way to identify little tricks is through analyzing your favorite authors.

Tags are useful, specifically as places to do something fun and artsy. Other times, blank areas of canvas (negative space) is called for, too.

ETA: Ooooh. I love the ideas that pharm added.

...and that reminds me of another trick. If you look at trade-published books, you will see names given within the dialog, but if you really stop and think about it ... we rarely actually use one another's names in 'real dialog.'

It's another trick, to be used sparingly.

"Where did you take the family yesterday, Bobbie?"
"Oh, hi Andrea. We went to the Zoo."

Last edited:

clawyer80

Registered
Reaction score
I use tags, but they're not always dialog tags. Movement/motion can help ID the speaker. Here's an example:

The girl gasped when she looked up from the desk. "Man, I'd hate to see the other guy. What can I do for you? Call an ambulance?" She let a tiny giggle out at her last comment, but her concern still seemed genuine.
Egger smiled. "No, thank you though. I could use some help getting my rig set up though."
"No problem. My brother's around back, and he'll get you in your spot and hooked up real quick." She placed a registration form and pen on the counter. "How long you staying with us?"
"Perhaps a week, if you've the space."
"We sure do. Got a nice quiet spot in the back for you." She typed something on the computer, then looked back at him. "So what happened to you?"

I echo this. I don't think dialogue tags are bad, but I do try to find alternate ways of tracking the speaker. Also, whenever I have a dialogue between two people I really cut down on the tags.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

Since no one has actually said this explicitly yet: do not do this. It's screenplay format. It will read very oddly in prose.

If you're noticing your own dialogue tags, you're probably overusing them. Most newer writers do.

To begin with, not every line of spoken dialogue needs a tag--only if it's unclear to the reader. Trust your reader on this. If it's two characters bantering back and forth, we can probably keep track of the back and forth. Things get trickier with larger numbers of speakers--a secret trick is to simply avoid having large groups of people all talking. (If you're writing out background chatter or some such, consider that a specific speaker may not be necessary.)

cmhbob's advice is also very good. Not every tag needs to be a direct attribution. This flows from the above: if the subject of the sentence is clear, the dialogue is clear as the dialogue is part of that sentence. (Remembering this also helps you remember the rules for punctuation in dialogue. You're almost never going to have He said because that tag is almost always going to come after a comma.)

A lot of this can be picked up through osmosis by reading and paying attention to how published authors handle the mechanic you're wondering about. This works for a lot of story-craft issues, too.

Pencrafter

Registered
Reaction score
You are not seeking 'to reduce dialogue tags' - you are apparently seeking to eliminate them.

No. I want to reduce them greatly. My hope is that in a section where dialogue is happening - especially between 2 people, that space between one bit of dialogue and the next will clarify who’s speaking....the occasional “said Bob” to re-affirm whose turn it is.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. I want to reduce them greatly. My hope is that in a section where dialogue is happening - especially between 2 people, that space between one bit of dialogue and the next will clarify who’s speaking....the occasional “said Bob” to re-affirm whose turn it is.

That is perfectly normal. The content and flow of the dialogue also helps.

Re-read some of the books on your shelf and you will soon see how others tackle achieving clarity and flow in dialogue without resorting to gimmicks.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Re-read some of the books on your shelf and you will soon see how others tackle achieving clarity and flow in dialogue without resorting to gimmicks.
This. I never think it's a good idea to talk in terms of just cutting dialogue tags. You'll get a better result, I think, by working on clarity and flow more holistically. Rhythm and clarity (and character voice, and character differentiation) are things to be built in - you won't achieve them with a find-and-cut function.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
In LIMITED numbers, action tags can replace some dialogue tags.

He heard a sound behind him and turned. "Oh, Suzy, it's you."

She smiled. "The one and only."

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Interiority (from viewpoint character) can also serve, similar to action.

He'd need to suit up first, of course, and check his tanks. Maybe fill them. He didn't know where he was going to find the time for all of that before the aliens drew close enough to strike. "If the sonar says six hundred meters, then it's six hundred meters."

"Sonar's been glitchy." Suzie fiddled with the knob again.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since no one has actually said this explicitly yet: do not do this. It's screenplay format. It will read very oddly in prose.

Worth repeating. Loudly.

micahkolding

Banned
Reaction score
I've actually read books with that transcript style; it felt weird, and took me out of the story.

In my experience, people gloss over dialogue tags anyway. I use them long enough to establish who's talking, then get rid of them once the dialogue achieves a proper rhythm.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
"said" becomes invisible and readers skim it and only focus on the character's name, while trying to find lively verbs and adverbs for each dialogue tag (she declared vociferously) is very noticeable and draws attention to the tag and away from the actual dialogue. Personally I do this:

1. I only use a tag when it's necessary to indicate who's speaking. If there are only two speakers, you can get away with not having them for short sections of dialogue. With 3+ speakers you need to be clear who says what. Even with 2 speakers you will need to have something here and there to keep readers on track with who's saying what.

2. Where characters are doing stuff while speaking, that goes next to the dialogue eliminating the need to have a dialogue tag. But I avoid having actions solely for the sake of identifying the speaker. It serves a dual purpose of identifying the speaker and showing some of the non-verbal things that are going on. It can be a good way to show character or emotion, but also can be any action that's part of the scene. People don't just stand completely still and talk to each other. But I don't force in unnecessary actions and often dialogue tags are necessary.

3. When a dialogue is necessary, I'll usually use "said". I sometimes use other ordinary words for different ways of saying things if the word completely fits and I'm not repeating something that's obvious from context, e.g. asked, yelled, shouted. I avoid using words that draw attention to themselves and away from what's being said (e.g. they transmitted, she barked, he hissed, she articulated, they promulgated, etc). If it's necessary to describe a particular tone of voice (e.g. if it's not obvious from context) I'd be more inclined to say "Jane said in the tone of voice a kindly school teacher might use with a particularly challenging student" than try to find an adverb. There's rarely one that fits exactly what I'm going for and if there is one, it's probably in the "detracts attention away from the dialogue" category. (Adverbs are still important elsewhere in prose so please don't see this as a treatise against adverbs.)

Confession: I only found out the word promulgated today after I googled "crazy words to use instead of said". Now I'm going to go and look it up in a dictionary.

Last edited:

katfeete

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunsetgrillcomic.com
I'll offer up my usual recommendation for Ursula K. LeGuin's Steering the Craft, which has a lovely chapter on dialogue tags and what they do as well as some good exercises.

For myself, I find that as always it's a case of what I'm trying to do and how it does it. There are cases where dialogue tags can be done away with entirely. Sometimes it really doesn't matter who's talking, such as when you're including some crowd chatter, or running through a confused scene where everyone is talking at once. Sometimes it's obvious who's speaking from the dialogue because the people involved have very different roles: a doctor and a patient, an interrogator and a prisoner, the person in the pit of piranhas and the person being persuaded to get her out. Sometimes characters have distinctive enough voices that the speaker needs no identification.

But such a scene puts all the weight on the dialogue. There is nothing happening outside the back-and-forth talk, no information worth conveying about the character's actions or environment. They are doing nothing but stare at each other and talk. A "talking heads" scene can have its place, but its utility is limited and usually it is are quite short -- and when it isn't, it get boring fast as the characters "tell" each other stuff that would be much more effectively shown. It gives a fast-paced, choppy feel to the story, which is great when you want breathlessness, not so great when you don't.

Action tags can more evenly distribute the load; they let the characters move around, interacting with their environment, doing things, accomplishing things. But they take up a lot of page space, and can be distracting and interruptive. I have a nasty habit of letting them get out of control myself, and must prune on the rewrite back to action tags that give useful information: that ground the dialogue in the setting, accomplish something, or give insight into a character's emotional state -- by preference, all of the above. "Said" substitutes are shorter and punchier than action tags, but more visible than "said", and so like action tags they must carry their weight by giving useful information. Words like "stated" and "questioned" and "exclaimed" are almost always useless baggage. Volume control words -- whispered, muttered, murmered -- are better, when appropriate, because they ground the "sound" of the dialogue in the reader's head (although shouted, yelled, bellowed need a little more caution; if there's an exclamation point the reader will safely assume the character is yelling, so make sure the double emphasis is warranted.) I have a fondness for noise tags (hissed, barked, snapped) but I pretty much always try to read the attached dialogue aloud. Ever tried to snap a three-syllable word or hiss a sentence with no "s"'s? Yeah, it does not work out. Those words are great when they give the reader a sense of the emotions and tone that the dialogue itself can't, but put them in the wrong place and they're brake lights on the interstate leading to a ten-car pileup.

And finally there's said, quiet, solid, and unappreciated. Said is a simple little word. It breaks up a breathless exchange. It tells you who's speaking when that's not clear. And it does so without drawing attention to itself, without taking away from the narrative. Just a little pause, a breather, and then back to the next speaker. Can it be overused? Sure. But often, it's exactly what you need.

As so often happens with writing, there's no right or wrong answers here, only the technique that works best for the dialogue you're writing now, for the speed you need it to happen at and for the weight you want the dialogue to carry.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Tags are used for clarity or if you want to break up a dialogue. If it's clear who is talking, you don't need to use the tags (for example, if the dialogue is between two characters). You can also replace them with actions or other descriptions: "He didn't respond." She laughed. "So I deleted him."

A long, long time ago I got this advice: Do not try too hard to replace "said" with other verbs such as "exclaimed." I took that advice to heart. Let your dialogue do the talking, so to speak. If your dialogue is not strong enough to convey that the character is exclaiming, then you need to revise your dialogue. Similarly, don't repeat yourself. If it is clearly a question, don't write "she asked." If it's a reply to a question, don't write "she replied." A simple "said" is all you need. And more often than not you will find that you don't need the he said, she said at all. Also, if possible, don't use adverbs like "she said gleefully." Again, if your dialogue is not clear, you need to revise. If you must dictate how the character is saying the line, use actions or body language etc. instead of adverbs.

Also, if you have pages and pages and pages of non-stop dialogue, you need to revise. You're writing a novel, not a play. You need to break up your long dialogue with actions, thoughts, something happening, etc.