"Funding renewal" cycle for university-funded research?

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Friends in academia, I have a question for you. What does the "accountability check-in cycle" look like for university-funded research?

Particularly, in the humanities, and particularly for tenured faculty.

I'm developing a novel which will feature a character in this situation. The character is tenured, an "old friend of the department chair," let's say, and also chronically ill and bed-bound to the point that he can't actually conduct the research. He has a non-tenured person conducting the research on his behalf. The research project has been in "very little progress mode" for years now, with continual extensions because the tenured lead is an old friend of the department chair.

I'm wondering how long this sort of thing could go on without much success before the department would pull the plug. (Now, this is also a "fantasy world," so I can sorta do whatever I want, but I want it to feel vaguely realistic for anyone who knows about these things.)

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not very likely the university is funding the research. More often, the funding comes from a government source, or from a foundation of some sort (I studied an agricultural discipline, so the bulk of my graduate work was funded by a state soybean promotion board, for instance, through which my prof got the money). The universities themselves usually have little to no money to fund research. Most large universities do have a research foundation, but these are (I think) separately incorporated entities from the university and exist mostly to hold the intellectual property rights of things produced and the university. And make money selling the patents. (Random fact: the rat poison and blood thinner warfarin was named after the Wisconsin Agricultural Research Foundation--WARF)

In any case, the funds recipient would be required under the terms of whatever agreement to provide periodic progress reports, be they monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual. I think poor progress over the course of a year, particularly in a discipline where things don't move too quickly, would probably be questioned; sooner in a faster-moving one. Federal money only lasts five years, and in some cases there is an initial award followed by yearly infusions as the government funder gets a new budget each year. However, future funding is (or should be unless you have a clueless program manager) contingent on performance. Foundation funding is probably similar, where the foundation would require some sort of accounting for their investment.

If you needed the university, and not the funder, to get on your faculty member's case, you could have several years go by where he was unable to secure funding, and the university could threaten to take away resources, such as admin support, office space for grad students and assistants, etc.

Last edited:

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Thanks Chris, that makes sense. Maybe I'll lean on some worldbuilding and unique terminology to give myself a little freedom here.

I appreciate the input! Cheers!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Depends, too, on what sort of fantasy world you've got, and the nature of the research.<br> If, for instance, your character is studying the effect of growth-potion on dragons, it's hard to argue against 'waiting for the dragons to mature'.<br>And if the military or the dragon-breeder's association is willing to cover living expenses in the meantime, you're good.<br> <br>But, if the research involves lots of expensive equipment and exotic ingredients, some sign of positive results would, I think, be expected.

Last edited: