• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Readers: Shay and the Receivers [Urban Fantasy 95,000 words]

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there, AbsoluteWrite.

I have a new project and am seeking beta readers (perhaps a beta swap) for a 95,000 word adult urban fantasy.

Here's a brief blurb: When Shay discovers his vintage Telecaster is magic, it leads him into a world ruled by monsters. In order to save his friends from a fatal curse placed on them by a Warlock who sold his soul for guitar skills, Shay must get over his fears and master his own abilities.

I need to work on the blurb more. I'm not great at it. But the shorter version is it's about a rock band fighting evil with the power of rock and roll (and friendship).

I need to find more modern comp titles, but think of it as something like SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD mixed with SUPERNATURAL and READY PLAYER ONE.

While there is a lot of music in this, I don't think necessarily knowing a music instrument or music theory is a requirement. In fact, I want to see how it reads to someone who doesn't know anything about it.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Joeyc, is this YA or adult? It sounds a little YA, but since you don't say so, I was wondering if Shay and friends are in that post-teen but still younger adult range.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks for bringing it up.

I went back to adding that into the post. It is adult fantasy. The main characters are in their early to mid 20s.

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'd get more interest if you'd post your first chapter in SYW. A stronger blurb would help too, or even a short excerpt. Just anything with voice to let potential swappers know what they are getting into.

Status
Not open for further replies.