• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Distant Shore Publishing

desdenova

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexsgarcia.com
I recently came across the website of this publisher and was wondering if anyone's ever heard of them, or had dealings with them?

They seem to specialize in shorter forms (short stories and novellas) and in digital format only.

Pay seems reasonable... kinda.

What puzzles me is that it's a fixed rate ($2500) for novellas between 20,000 and 70,000 words.

So if it's 20k, that's really good pay (about 12c a word)... whereas for 70k, it gets much less interesting (about 3c).

I also find it odd that there isn't also, in addition to that, a percentage on sales...

Any thoughts, anyone?

Their website is here:

http://distantshorepublishing.com/

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welp...at least they're up front about what they pay. And to be honest, $2500 for a novella, up front, might be more than your average small-press author would make from royalties over the long haul. I'd definitely want an idea of how long Distant Shore would hold the rights, though, and a solid reversion clause in my contract.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Home page now reads:

Distant Shore Publishing has now closed.

Thank you to all our authors, reviewers, short story writers, and, above all, our readers for journeying with us through fantastical realms and unknown planets. It’s been a blast!

Last TW/FB activity Aug '21.