Website featuring both writing and painting. Bad idea?

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
I have been slithering about the interwebz, visiting the websites of you lovely AWers and getting ideas for revamping my own site. Which I did during NaNoWriMo (didn't get much writing done for some reason). :greenie My site combines painting and writing. Is that a bad idea? Should I separate the two?

My site is in my siggy, if anyone has thoughts or crits (not sure if this is the place to ask for crits?). And I'd love to see your sites if you'd like to share. Thank you!
alienlovew.png

ETA: Also, I made a new siggy for my email and I'm using it here on AW too. But my logo (a black-hole thingy) and my Instagram/Twitter icons don't show up in Chrome for me on AW. They do show up in Opera and Firefox, though. Can you all see the images in my siggy? If not, which browser are you using? (If you don't mind my asking.) Thanks!

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Pasty--I went to your site, and I don't see a problem with having art there along with writing. I don't know about the aquaria--but honestly, my gut reaction is to say screw it. It's your site. I was interested to learn that it was a topic that you were interested in.

OTOH, I've got a prepping tab on my site. Maybe I should get rid of that. *insert shrug here*

You've got some good branding on your home page. What you don't have is an email list sign up--probably because you don't have one. I'd like to talk you into it if I could--it's really the best way for small fish like us to build up any following.

Picture me standing behind a velvet curtain next to a throne, a secret councilor to the queen. I wait until I can get your attention and then I whisper, "Mailerlite. It's free for the first thousand subscribers."

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask here or email me if you have any more specific questions. : )

Last edited:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Hey, Pasty--I went to your site, and I don't see a problem with having art there along with writing. I don't know about the aquaria--but honestly, my gut reaction is to say screw it. It's your site. I was interested to learn that it was a topic that you were interested in.

OTOH, I've got a prepping tab on my site. Maybe I should get rid of that. *insert shrug here*

You've got some good branding on your home page. What you don't have is an email list sign up--probably because you don't have one. I'd like to talk you into it if I could--it's really the best way for small fish like us to build up any following.

Picture me standing behind a velvet curtain next to a throne, a secret councilor to the queen. I wait until I can get your attention and then I whisper, "Mailerlite. It's free for the first thousand subscribers."

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask here or email me if you have any more specific questions. : )
Thanks, Cathleen! I'm glad the combined writing/painting isn't an issue for you. Also the fish. :greenie I visited your site a few times and it's great! The prepper stuff too. And I just signed up for your newsletter so I can get an idea of what's involved (also because it sounds pretty cool). I'm sure you're right; I should start one up. Thanks for the Mailerlite tip. I'll deffo investigate that. Especially because I'm thinking about starting up a new insta art account, and a newsletter would help with that too. Thanks for chiming in! :D

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to work together on this, we could both work to improve each other's email list, especially in the area of the welcoming sequence. I could give you my outline of what I currently have--my welcome sequence is currently nine emails long, spaced 2 wks apart. : )

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
The site looks great Pasty! I definitely didn't think it was strange to include your visual arts, and like Cathleen I found the fish stuff interesting. I'm on Chrome and yeah, your siggy icons don't show up.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Also, it occurred to me that you're probably going to want two lists--one for art and the other for SFF. They're different groups, and you don't want unsubscribers because half your emails don't appeal to them. And folks who are interested in both can sign up for both lists.

It doesn't matter that much what particular content you put in your newsletter except for one thing: never bore them. Always be relevant and interesting. No pressure. But at least you can avoid shooting yourself in the foot by combining lists. : )

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
I think your website is very well done. I don’t see a problem with the art and writing in one site. It is all creative work and one feeds the other. For me, it makes me more interested in you as a creative person so I’m more likely to pay attention and spend more time on your site. The astronomical number of websites and blogs in the world makes catching someone’s attention a tall order.

My own website now has both art and writing also. It is doubly confusing as I have a pen name for the writing and the website goes under that name. Add in a little homeopathy, muscle testing and bead making and it’s quite a mash up. At this point, I’m throwing it all together and I don’t have he energy, time or finances to worry about it too much.

Cathleen - I see I somehow lost my mailing list signup when I chose a new theme for my website. Thanks for the reminder. I need to fix that.

Last edited:

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
The website looks great to me. The connection between painting and writing is immediately apparent through the art you choose to highlight--unrealism, surrealism--and you articulate the common ground between your writing endeavors and visual ones very well. I'm convinced by the claim that your work presents compelling visions of current/future realities. Your signature icon shows up in Safari, so you have the Mac crowd covered. I like the inclusion of fish stuff (and I also like the Species Imperative series by Czerneda) because I think fiction has a way of drawing on all aspects of an artist's experience in the creation of plots and characters. Sidenote: military me has used enough ESRI products to create GIS decision tools that got a good laugh from the line about being able to make a map even if using one was a challenge. You could make a bigger statement about how day job is yet another way of visualizing data and seeing the world in new ways, if you want to.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Also, I made a new siggy for my email and I'm using it here on AW too. But my logo (a black-hole thingy) and my Instagram/Twitter icons don't show up in Chrome for me on AW. They do show up in Opera and Firefox, though. Can you all see the images in my siggy? If not, which browser are you using? (If you don't mind my asking.) Thanks!
I don't see any image with your signature. Sorry! I'm using Firefox, up-to-date version, on a Windows 10 OS. If it will be helpful, I can open up Chrome or Avast, the other two browsers I have, and see if that's different.

Maryn, sometimes helpful, sometimes not

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Hey there Pasty. :) The site looks amazing. I work in digital marketing, battle Wordpress daily, and feel I know a good site when I see one. This one is awesome!! I vaguely remember the old site, and from a UX perspective, this is a giant leap forward IMO.

I see no reason not to put writing and art on the same site. The "brand," in this case, is you. I think in this age, a lot of us are pursuing multiple talents. I have music and writing on my site (more music than writing, heh), and I'm hoping they'll cross-pollinate some day.

Now, have you measured the change in conversion rate between old site and new? :p That's the real question.

Cheers!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It looks good to me. It's much nicer than my clonky old self-coded site. I think you're integrating your arts well.

(Take my word with a grain of salt because my site is just an online portfolio, basically and I'm just a visual artist, not a writer (except I've been writing some little bit lately and welp ...).)

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Well, y'all are just too easy on me! I was expecting a SYW-like thrashing. It's far less bloodthirsty in here. :tongue

If you want to work together on this, we could both work to improve each other's email list, especially in the area of the welcoming sequence. I could give you my outline of what I currently have--my welcome sequence is currently nine emails long, spaced 2 wks apart. : )
Ooh, I think I'll take you up on that! Might be a while, though. I have to finish two paintings, one novel, and revise a few shorts first. But I'm hoping 2021 will be more productive than 2020, which was pretty much a write-off. Thanks, Cathleen! :D

The site looks great Pasty! I definitely didn't think it was strange to include your visual arts, and like Cathleen I found the fish stuff interesting. I'm on Chrome and yeah, your siggy icons don't show up.
Thanks, SSM! :D I'm happy the combination didn't come across as strange. Actually I was a bit worried the entire site was strange, so I'm glad you liked it! And thanks for the intel on the sig images. I can't for the life of me figure out why they're loading in some browsers and not others. BTW, I hope you wrote more during NaNo than I did. *feels shame*

Also, it occurred to me that you're probably going to want two lists--one for art and the other for SFF. They're different groups, and you don't want unsubscribers because half your emails don't appeal to them. And folks who are interested in both can sign up for both lists.

It doesn't matter that much what particular content you put in your newsletter except for one thing: never bore them. Always be relevant and interesting. No pressure. But at least you can avoid shooting yourself in the foot by combining lists. : )
Yep, no pressure AT ALL. :roll: Yeah, it makes total sense to have separate newsletters. I read somewhere that if you want to be successful on a platform like insta you have to find a niche and focus. Frex, there's this dude I follow who paints the most amazing clouds, and I think of him as Cloud Guy. Would be weird if he starting including bowling or something in his newsletter. :Wha: Thanks again!

I think your website is very well done. I don’t see a problem with the art and writing in one site. It is all creative work and one feeds the other. For me, it makes me more interested in you as a creative person so I’m more likely to pay attention and spend more time on your site. The astronomical number of websites and blogs in the world makes catching someone’s attention a tall order.

My own website now has both art and writing also. It is doubly confusing as I have a pen name for the writing and the website goes under that name. Add in a little homeopathy, muscle testing and bead making and it’s quite a mash up. At this point, I’m throwing it all together and I don’t have he energy, time or finances to worry about it too much.

Cathleen - I see I somehow lost my mailing list signup when I chose a new theme for my website. Thanks for the reminder. I need to fix that.
Thanks, sandree, I'm glad the site worked for you! I visited your site and your paintings are beautiful. I love the one with the butterfly flowers. And the so-called mash up didn't bother me at all. It's fascinating to me how many writers here on AW have more than one creative outlet. Thanks for your feedback. :)

The website looks great to me. The connection between painting and writing is immediately apparent through the art you choose to highlight--unrealism, surrealism--and you articulate the common ground between your writing endeavors and visual ones very well. I'm convinced by the claim that your work presents compelling visions of current/future realities. Your signature icon shows up in Safari, so you have the Mac crowd covered. I like the inclusion of fish stuff (and I also like the Species Imperative series by Czerneda) because I think fiction has a way of drawing on all aspects of an artist's experience in the creation of plots and characters. Sidenote: military me has used enough ESRI products to create GIS decision tools that got a good laugh from the line about being able to make a map even if using one was a challenge. You could make a bigger statement about how day job is yet another way of visualizing data and seeing the world in new ways, if you want to.
Thanks, Dawg! I'm chuffed that the common ground of alternative/future realities came through for you. I must admit, I kinda sorta made up the term "Unrealism," not because I'm trying to start a new art movement, but because I'm lazy. I did a quick google and couldn't figure out what genre some of my art fell into, so I made one up (as one does). :tongue

Thanks for the data point on my siggy images. Good to know my images load for team Mac. Also good to know I'm not the only spatially-challenged critter here. I can't find my way out of a granary. Also, I checked out your site too and it's great! It showcases your work really well. And I love the moving background image. Mesmerizing. *stares* :greenie

I don't see any image with your signature. Sorry! I'm using Firefox, up-to-date version, on a Windows 10 OS. If it will be helpful, I can open up Chrome or Avast, the other two browsers I have, and see if that's different.

Well that's just baffling. The problem is I changed ISPs, registrars, and switched from an old HTML/php site to WordPress, so I have no idea what's causing this. Too many variables! :gaah Thanks for the intel on your browser and OS; that's really helpful. And thanks for the offer to test it with Chrome and Avast. Much appreciated! I'll poke around on my site and see if I can figure out what's going on, and then take you up on that. The really weird thing is that the site itself loads only intermittently on Chrome for me. So I guess the bright side is that at least the site seems to be loading consistently for everybody here. I hope? Thanks, Maryn! BTW, I checked out your blog and your self-isolation tips. You've inspired me to put on some sweatpants. :D

Hey there Pasty. :) The site looks amazing. I work in digital marketing, battle Wordpress daily, and feel I know a good site when I see one. This one is awesome!! I vaguely remember the old site, and from a UX perspective, this is a giant leap forward IMO.
Yay, thanks, George! Yeah, the old site was a bit of a dinosaur. I'm really blown away by what you can do in WordPress, and for free! I can haz good UX now. :tongue

I see no reason not to put writing and art on the same site. The "brand," in this case, is you.
Me, a brand? Does that mean I have to quit schlepping around in my PJs and slippers?

I think in this age, a lot of us are pursuing multiple talents. I have music and writing on my site (more music than writing, heh), and I'm hoping they'll cross-pollinate some day.
Well, after reading your query and novel opening, I think they've not only cross-pollinated, they've had a love child. :greenie

Now, have you measured the change in conversion rate between old site and new? :p That's the real question.
Yep. Still zero! Sadly, my visitors seem to be mostly either Russian bots or searching for p*rn. They must be terribly disappointed when they land on my fish reproduction blog post. :ROFL:

Thanks so much, George! Good to know the site gets the nod from a pro. And your site is very cool. Love the banner and your scribble at the top. And the sticky menu. I gotta get me one of those. :)

It looks good to me. It's much nicer than my clonky old self-coded site. I think you're integrating your arts well.

(Take my word with a grain of salt because my site is just an online portfolio, basically and I'm just a visual artist, not a writer (except I've been writing some little bit lately and welp ...).)
Thanks, Alessandra! I checked out your site and I love your work! Smack dab in mah wheelhouse. And your site isn't clonky :p at all; I could navigate around no problem and look at all the lovely art. And one advantage hand-coded sites have over WordPress is they're not bloated and load lightning fast. Thanks for your feedback!

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca

Okay, I did a little investigating and figured out the problem (I think). Some newer browsers won't display images from insecure sites on secure sites. AW is secured with an SSL certificate and my site wasn't, so Chrome and other newer browsers wouldn't load the icons from my site. Luckily my domain hoster provides free SSL certificates (from Let's Encrypt), so I got one, and now my site is secured and begins with https:// (and has the little padlock *is proud*). And now Chrome is loading my new shiny siggy images. Yay!

Maryn, if you don't mind, could you test this for me on your browsers? (You might have to reload the page.) I'd really appreciate that! :D

Actually, if anyone is feeling particularly benevolent/bored, It would be great if you could visit my website and see if the new secure site loads, how long it takes to load, or if parts of it break and whatnot on different browsers. Site is here: https://helfrich.ca. Thanks so much! I'd be happy to return the favour (I have a bunch of different browsers and I can test on different OS). :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. That's the issue.

I encourage you to click Plugins in your WordPress dashboard, and search for WordFence; it's free. It's a security plugin.

The basic functions are free. It's a security plugin. It's very very good. It will help you limit malware etc. that bots etc. might try to install.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(And yes, I now see the image.)

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Yep. That's the issue.

I encourage you to click Plugins in your WordPress dashboard, and search for WordFence; it's free. It's a security plugin.

The basic functions are free. It's a security plugin. It's very very good. It will help you limit malware etc. that bots etc. might try to install.
Thanks, Lisa! That's great advice. My site was hacked a few years ago and what a PITA that was to clean up. And that was only a very basic HTML site. Would be a nightmare to clean up a WordPress site, so, yep, I installed WordFence right away. Don't want to go through that again! :)
(And yes, I now see the image.)
Excellent, thanks Maryn! :)

Muxy001

Muxy001
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelmuxworthy.com
Hello Judy,

Writing and painting ARE a perfect match.

I just visited your website and I'm very impressed ... it works well.

I can't paint. One look at my website and you get the feel that it rehashes the same old tired (alien-themed) imagery seen around too much.

I've recently commissioned an artist from Bulgaria to "reinvent" all the visual imagery.

Seeing your site reinforces my decision.

I'm a lateral-thinking author of fiction that writes about third kind encounters with my first book nearly finished

Michael

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Hello Judy,

Writing and painting ARE a perfect match.

I just visited your website and I'm very impressed ... it works well.

I can't paint. One look at my website and you get the feel that it rehashes the same old tired (alien-themed) imagery seen around too much.

I've recently commissioned an artist from Bulgaria to "reinvent" all the visual imagery.

Seeing your site reinforces my decision.

I'm a lateral-thinking author of fiction that writes about third kind encounters with my first book nearly finished

Michael
Hello, Michael, welcome to AW!

Yeah, I found reinventing the visuals really helped improve the user experience on my site. I see you're already using WordPress, so you're one step ahead of me; I was still coding in html/php and had to learn WordPress. Soooo much easier now to change out images and whatnot. I'd love to see your site again after the face lift, if you'd like to share.

Thanks for your kind words about my site. I'm glad you liked it! :) And congrats on nearly completing your book. That's quite an accomplishment.