Hello from the Runoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Good morning, all.

I don't know the first thing about myself. I'll toss out a few items, and leave order to the ordinal mind.

I am a veteran of the peacetime Air Force, post-Viet Nam. It was my way out of a poke-and-plumb desert town. "Poke-and-plumb" was my grandad's term -- poke your head out the window and you're plumb out of town. That's been around so long it shows more chin than forehead.

About the Air Force. It is said that the military will make a man out of a boy. This is untrue. Service will offer the opportunity. I come away with a story or two.

I am of a technical bent. I put in some twenty-odd years working on slot machines, and some few-odd months on computers. I passed the A+ and built a pretty good head of steam toward Cisco certification.

Then my heart went, and I almost drowned standing on dry land. It was a memorable sensation, leaning against my truck in the cool drouth of a desert night, uttering, "glug, glug" from deep in my chest. For years hence, the memory will suffice.

I may be the Guinness Book leader for Years Unpublished. Since that category is not published, I can let the years go unnumbered. Soon enough, it'll be +1.

I like to play with the language. I love the pith of lyrics, the discipline of a story told in sixteen lines. I'll wade in swamp water to collect a lily of a synonym. I always aspire to alliteration. I strive daily to arouse a wonderful obstruction to the mind of Google, et al.

Here goes.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice intro. I feel like I kind of know you already. Welcome!

Although there are plenty of writers here who might give you a run for your money on number of years unpublished. It is, of course, not the only valid reason to write.

Maryn, who writes for herself a lot

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Hi, Maryn,

I'm still chuckling over Van Gogh in Time of Plague.

A word to my fellow new subscribers. I gave. It was pocket money, and it was dead simple.

In four days of reading and one of active membership, I have found at least two people I'd like to know better. I think of it as buying time.

Nuff sed.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Drouth and coolth are my two favourite words, so I guess that means we're friends. (But you should use coolth more).

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Hi, friend! If you can read upside down, it's the least I can do.

Is "drouth" in regular usage in parts of Australia? Or are you, like me, someone who picks up words like change dropped through heedless fingers?

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Slow down, sweetheart. I would never marry in winter.

Spring comes early in the NA High Desert. Whaddya say, first day?

We call it on February 30.

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
My mom explained it to me when I was very young. I was to keep the women around me happy if I had any hopes of ever going to Heaven. Well, I just tacked on another month in Purgatory.

You two should get together and give me, in absentia, the roasting I deserve. Pick up an Ernie (Muppets, Bert's simpleton friend) doll, a dozen hatpins, and a meat-tenderizing mallet. Stop on the way for a few of those bottles of wine that won't be going to China any time soon.

Only you can save me from my earned scourging in Perdition. Have mercy.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
be frank - can you hear something? I keep thinking I hear a distant sobbing noise, but then it just .... fades .... away

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
mccardey and I would like to thank you for following our rom-com-in-twelve-posts. Especially, we would like to thank be frank for her cameo as the Sanguine Friend. We all see great things in her future.

Our world-spanning fantasy quest in forty-eight posts is in pre-production. Watch for it at your local AW Forum, coming in Summer, 2022.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*curtseys*

Thank you, you've been a marvellous audience.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.