December 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research, or even just the everyday stuff you need to keep up with to support your writing.)

The idea is that repeating something regularly will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals if you like, or just check in when you can. You don't have to write every day to participate; the key is that you want to establish a writing habit!

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality. Start out small and build on it.
  • Try to do a little every day – even if it's just writing a sentence or two. It reinforces the habit of sitting down to write and makes it easier to get keep it up in the long run.
  • Be adaptive – You'll always be facing new challenges, and what works for someone else doesn't always work for you. What worked for you last week might not work this week. Try different types of goals, different times of the day, and different tricks to reward or motivate yourself.
  • Be patient & persistent – It takes a long time to build a strong habit, and progress happens in tiny increments; you won't always notice it day by day, or even week by week.
  • Failure is a part of the process – Failure is a natural part of improving your skills. It lets you figure out what went wrong so you can do better in the future. When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened so you are better prepared next time.

Remember: if you share your experiences in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days off. Find what works for you.

Good luck, and see you December 1st!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
This starts tomorrow! :eek:

I'll continue with the basic goal of one 45-minute session per day on any writing project. I won't change that goal until it's been through some rough weather and survived to tell the tale, and it comes to me as naturally as having breakfast!

That's it, and it's plenty.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
:partyguy: Thanks for posting, Magnus!

• Submit Dress Her in Chameleon to KDP
  • Finish most of the new scenes on the second draft of A Deadly Spill of Scarlet.
  • Write something every day.

micahkolding

Banned
Reaction score
In December, I'll be finishing and publishing my second children's book, then completing one of my novel projects and beginning the query process.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I definitely want to get this "second draft" done and start working on the "third draft" for [birds]. I want to get it out to beta readers early 2021 (Q1?). Formally that means at least 30 minutes of editing work a day but informally that's been about 1 chapter a day I have work and 2 when I don't, so if I keep going at that rate I'll definitely be able to do it.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in for my usual 3 actions* to balance writing and taking care of life and things.

1) Add words to my WIP
2) One action of self-care or responsibility
3) One action to become more prosperous: actions to earn money, or increase my earning power, or actions to make my home/possession better foster a satisfying life

* in the past I would cultivate a writing habit, then things happened, Life got overwhelming & writing went out the window. So I realized it wouldn't be a question of getting my life in order, then being able to write, but was about keeping a writing habit while dealing with Life.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Try, try again. I'm going to take a more laid-back approach this time around, see if that opens up the logjam and lets all the words out. No word or page goals; just write. Preferably in the morning before breakfast, before work, chores, and the urge to procrastinate settles in on me. If I can make it feel like fun, I'll bet my productivity will go up.

I really should disconnect the WiFi if I'm going to use the laptop, because the urge to watch stuff on YouTube gets overwhelming sometimes...

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I made it through one half of my current manuscript (printed, hardcopy) in November. I will try to finish reading/editing the second half in December. There are 20 chapters to go, so about a chapter per day with a few days off. And continue workshopping the pages.

I also hope to send at least the first half of the story to two friendly beta readers before Christmas.

Last edited:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Thanks for starting, Magnus.

I'm shifting tactics for December. I'm sick of rewriting over and over so I'm going to plan Books 4 and 5 in my series before getting back to writing the second half of 4. I'm not a big outliner so this should be interesting :/

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
This month my main goal will be to finish my short story/novella concept. That said, the only goal I am really holding myself to is writing everyday. I'd like to see 300 or more words per weekday and 700 or more on weekends.

So here i go.
Day 1- A tad over 300 on a piece for a flash fiction group I'm a part of. I promise myself that I will work on my personal story tomorrow, maybe.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My goals for December is to write almost everyday. I'm giving myself some slack because of the holidays.

BTW, my book (Barney, Mr. Thomas, and the Alligator Creature)came out today!!!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1
A solid start with one session on the main project and one on the side project, both going beyond the set time. And I wrote a long update for my patrons as well. Good stuff.

[Edit: I thought I was done for the evening but I ended up doing another full session on the side project.]

Let's make it a good one, writers! :)

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 1 - 49 new words devoted to the series.

Most of the afternoon I spent writing and posting a blog, my first since May. That was closer to 1000 words, but since it's not fiction I don't count it. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow, when my next assignment comes in.

Second Moon - Yay for publication! I'm putting virtual ice cream on my virtual brownie. There goes the virtual diet. :tongue

Magnus - Dang, man! Lookit you go!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Excerpt subbed for the week and working on incorporating feedback on chapter 12.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
kara - congrats on the 300
Magnus - way to go with that extra session
Ptero, congrats on the 49
Woolly - nice work

Day 1

WIP 1 - reading/notes WIP 2 - added words
R/SC - going to bed early
BP/$$ - job 12 hours

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 1

Word Count 248

Dress Her in Chameleon - LBL. Five more chapters and a glance over.

Magnus - You certainly had a good day! WTG!

Ptero - Writing is writing in my book as long as it’s toward a dedicated platform.

Woolly - Good luck with the excerpt and Chapter 12

Layla - Great job on added words

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
karasunoyashi: Excellent start!

Second: Happy publication day!

Magnus: Nice work!

Pterofan: Nice work blogging and writing. Though now you have me wanting a brownie.

Woolly: Good luck with Chap 12!

Layla: Yay words! Hope you got a nice long snooze.

Cindyt: Great job. You’re almost there!

I kept working on my grand plot for Book 5, and how it will impact Book 4. Think I’ve got a fair whack sorted out, so now I need to answer more questions about 4. I fear another massive rewrite is in the works.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Kara: 300 words is still a great start!
Magnus: Awesome job!
Ptero: Still, great work getting the blog done.
Woolly: I hope it goes well!
Layla: congrats on work on both WIPs
Cindy: nice job on 248 words

Day 1: Made it through half? of ch 26 and wrote 200 words on the computer. This is the first one that needs major rework; it's going to be split into two chapters, so the first one of that has been gone through. I need to write a new start for this next one, tossing out the scene that was already there. This is the POV character where I totally changed what he was going to do in the second half from what I outlined so it's....quite a mess. There's another POV character who needs some work, too, but it's more of aligning her internal/external wants to be the same the whole way through.

karasunoyashi

Registered
Reaction score
Day 2- Got a little more than 600 words in and finished the flash. May get some words in on my personal project yet, if I can stay up.

Magnus- Excellent work on all of those sessions.

Ptero- Good job on the 49 words and way to go on the blogging. That reminds me of something to add to my list of new years resolutions.

Woolly- Good job subbing the excerpt. Good luck on chapter 12.

Layla- good work on your works in progress.

CindyT- Congrats on the 248 words.

April & Chase- Best of luck on the rewrites!

Daniel- Congratulations on the editing and getting it posted.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Day 1 - 0 words because my book came out so I gave myself a break.

Kara - I can never stay up...

ChaseJxyz - Sound like you did a lot.

April - Thank you.

Ptero - Go ahead with that virtual ice cream.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 2
Drive-by to say I did a solid session on my side project even though I had a bit of a rough day. I'm going cold turkey on a bunch of stuff for December because my habits have gone a bit all over the place during the past months. So no caffeine, sugar, or alcohol in December, with the exception for x-mas eve (which will be a small affair anyway, no big family gathering this year). But I've pulled through, and I look forward to a new day tomorrow!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 1 (update) - 191 words. I felt guilty so I added a couple of paragraphs.
Day 2 - 83 words so far. I suspect the same thing will happen after dinner.

The assignment doesn't look too bad. If I can stay on top of it instead of hopping over to YouTube, I shouldn't have any deadline problems. This is the reason I never got home Internet until the pandemic forced me. At least I'm not playing the games that came with the laptop any more.

April - blame Second Moon. She's handing out the brownies. :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy! Congrats on that 248
April - nice work on that plotting & sorting
Chase, congrats on the 200
Daniel, congrats on the editing
kara, nice work with that 600
Moon - enjoy that break
Magnus - nice work, glad to hear you got in a session :)
Ptero, congrats on the work for days 1 & 2

Day 2

WIP 1) reading & notes WIP 2)
R/SC - chores & admin work
BP/$$ - some unhoarding, job 5 hours