Chekov's Gun?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Need a little brainstorming help, which is literally about firing a gun!

So around the 80% mark of my novel and my MC needs to be able to fire a gun well enough to injure the antagonist. Problem is, in what I've written so far there is no hint that he's ever picked up a gun, never mind able to expertly shot-to-injure someone. The story is set in the UK/Ireland, and works as a QC/Barrister, so professionally has no professional reason for being able to use a firearm. Backstory: thirty years ago, my MC was the only witness to his father's murder by the IRA, ever since he's been living under witness protection. The best idea I can come up with, as a younger man he has been so terrified of the killers finding him, he has learned to use a gun (shooting ranges?) but has quickly got rid of it after becoming a father himself. His wife knows nothing of his past, and definitely not about ever owning a firearm. However, I'm not sure how to foreshadow/drop this into the book at earlier stages, yet still making it a surprise to the reader?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'In the right circumstances - which you don't reveal-- 'Able to fire a gun well enough to injure the antagonist' could mean just able to pull the trigger.

What are the circumstances of his using the gun. What gun is it? What's the range? Is it possible for him to have a lucky shot -point and squeeze and hope?

Re the Chekov's Gun aspect, I used to do .22 target shooting many many years ago - during National Service actually. There's a very small shield trophy I won in my teens on one of the upper shelves in my study. It just says 1998 out of 2000 and a small outline of a rifle. If nobody saw that they wouldn't know I could fire a rifle.

Any help?

Good luck

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Bufty. Give anyone a gun (and pretty much everyone knows pulling the trigger = firing a gun), and with the right circumstances (eg not too far away), the person has a realistic chance of hitting the target (which means either dead or injured antagonist).

The bigger question is why is there a gun if the MC has no need for a gun and no clue how to use one, and why is the gun in 'ready' mode (cartridge chambered, safety switched off).

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
1. Set in the UK, so how does a professional barrister get hold of a firearm in the first place? (also: isn't being in a public position like a barrister a real issue with witness protection? It's not exactly hiding, being in court with criminals every day?!)

2. If there's been nothing in your character so far that indicates they would use guns, why do they suddenly need to now? Is there a different option than guns that makes more sense for this character?

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
A few things to consider...

Firstly, you don't mention where this incident happens - is it indoors or outdoors? You also don't mention what type of gun your MC is using - and whether it belongs to them.

At close range (read, indoors), the easiest gun to operate is going to be a handgun. Due to it's size, it's easy to point and most will do enough damage to put someone down (if not immediately). Provided you don't try and over complicate it, it needn't be any more complicated than grabbing the gun, pointing it and pulling the trigger. The only issue is, if the gun belongs to the MC, then it can't realistically be a handgun. Handguns (aside from long-barrelled pistols/ revolvers and certain historically relevant antiques) are section 5 prohibited weapons under UK law (England, Wales and Scotland - NI is slightly different) and possession is likely to see your MC struck off and imprisoned. Nobody in witness protection is going to be allowed a gun to protect themselves - for the same reason VIP/politicians aren't given them. If you don't know what you're doing you're likely to injure yourself, someone else or leave it somewhere, as the UK police frequently do.

If your MC is going to use something other than a handgun, then realistically, things will likely get more complicated. "Long" guns are all operated/handle differently and need to be "shouldered" to be able to have a realistic chance of hitting the target at anything other than point blank range. Likewise, if they are fitted with a scope, then if your MC is to use it effectively the first time they use it, then there are issues to overcome (although these are usually ignored by Hollywood, if you don't mind a little suspension of disbelief).

Additionally, possession of a section 1 firearm (read not a "sporting" shotgun") requires paperwork (Firearms certificate), background checks and a "reason". That reason can be target shooting, game (such as deer) shooting, but it mostly certainly CANNOT be for "self defence". Confusingly, the gun could be potentially be used to defend yourself, but that cannot be the reason you have it. What's more, if you do own a gun, you have to actually use it for your given purpose. If when questioned, you haven't used it more than 3 times a year since the certificate was issued/renewed, you can expect to be told to either start using it or surrender it.

Other than that, your other option might be a shotgun (referred to under UK law as a "Section 2 firearm"). As your MC is a QC, it's not unreasonable to say that they have been taken game shooting (pheasant, partridge, duck, grouse etc) or even clay pigeon shooting by a client. You could even say they went against their better judgement. Once loaded, it is only the case of pulling the trigger and at close range, even bird-shot will make an unholy mess of someone. The gun will kick when fired, but provided your MC is reasonably fit and healthy, they'll be fine. This would also fit in better with your idea about shooting ranges. There aren't that many rifle/pistol ranges in the UK and many of those ranges have a waiting list for new members.

The other issue you may need to consider is that under UK gun law, all firearms must be secured inside approved gun safes. Therefore, they are unlikely to be close to hand at a moments notice. So your MC can't really pull out a gun from under the bed and then laugh it off to the police afterwards.

It's probably a good idea to think about how the shooting incident happens. Is this a case of a modern day version of a classic gunfight/duel where the two protagonists draw down and each fire once, or are you planning on a firefight? You're MC's ability to reload etc will need to be considered if it's the latter.

Another suggestion for having "shooting" experience could be paintball, which would give your MC some experience of pointing and shooting in a simulated pressure environment.

Appreciate that's a lot of information in one go, but hopefully at least some of it will be useful.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! A lot to take in here. The gun in question does not belong to the MC, it belongs to the antagonist. The action happen in the Republic of Ireland and plot revolves around The Troubles, so the gun is an illegal weapon. The information is brilliant BlackKnight.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Re the Chekov's Gun aspect, I used to do .22 target shooting many many years ago - during National Service actually. There's a very small shield trophy I won in my teens on one of the upper shelves in my study. It just says 1998 out of 2000 and a small outline of a rifle. If nobody saw that they wouldn't know I could fire a rifle.

I like this. I like this a lot. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
1. Isn't being in a public position like a barrister a real issue with witness protection? It's not exactly hiding, being in court with criminals every day?!

Interesting point. I will look into this, and whether it is possible.

Though I was chuffed to find this in The Guardian.

About £20m a year is spent on protection schemes. For decades, witnesses threatened during the Troubles in Northern Ireland have been given sanctuary in England.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Having the antagonist bring the pistol to the scene of the confrontation with your MC, is not only plausible, but largely renders the legal issues moot (for the MC). Having the two characters wrestle for the weapon, which consequently discharges wounding the antagonist, effectively eliminates any distance/accuracy/skill/etc. concerns. Keeping it simple and well paced will no doubt enhance the story and further engage the reader. Best of luck!

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you throw in a reference to shooting grouse/pheasants/woodcock with so-and-so at their estate last season, or something like that?

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! A lot to take in here. The gun in question does not belong to the MC, it belongs to the antagonist. The action happen in the Republic of Ireland and plot revolves around The Troubles, so the gun is an illegal weapon. The information is brilliant BlackKnight.

If that's the case, then I would go for something like a Browning Hi-Power which was the standard sidearm of the British army for a long time and was also popular within the IRA. It would also mean that it did not matter WHEN the shooting took place, as you wouldn't risk using a weapon that did not exist at a certain point in time. If the antagonist is the person that killed the MC's Father, you could then make it the same gun for a little bit of poetic justice?

Alternatively, you could use a Glock as they are widely available, however, they were not released until the early 80s and wouldn't have been in wide circulation (and therefore likely to fall into non-government hands) until much later.

I would also implore you to resist the temptation to make it something overly exotic like a Desert Eagle .50AE. Whilst it might sound good (or look good in a film), the use of such weapons will significantly lessen the realism of your story. Not only are they quite rate, unwieldy and difficult to conceal, but anything outside of standard pistol calibres (9mm, .45ACP) is going to be difficult to acquire ammunition for (outside of the US at least) and basically serve as a forensic calling card for the authorities.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't put a gun upon the wall if you don't intend to fire it, right?

IMHO, that needs to be put in the manuscript. But that's just me.

GREAT thread!!!!

Chekhov's gun (Russian: Чеховское ружьё) is a dramatic principle that states that every element in a story must be necessary, and irrelevant elements should be removed. Elements should not appear to make "false promises" by never coming into play.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Gothic Angel: This exact situation was executed in i-boy, a movie now on netflix. Spoiler ahead:

The love interest is taken hostage at the 80% mark. She's all of 17 or so and three young thugs are waving guns at her, trying to decide which one will shoot her. After trying to reason with them, and after a scuffle, she is able to grab one of the guns.

The simple fact of her now having a gun changes the dynamic effectively. Several scenes later she does, in fact, shoot the biggest bad.

It's set in London, I believe, for a British (and American) audience. It was based on a 2010 book by Kevin Brooks. Perhaps this novel or film can give you some ideas?

My understanding of Chekov's gun is that you cannot (should not) promise tension and fail to deliver it. However, you are doing the reverse here--adding in tension for free. You *could* telegraph the marksmanship ahead of time, but I'm not sure you need to. Brooks didn't. It actually added tension, because we have no idea how a novice will perform.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Gothic Angel: This exact situation was executed in i-boy, a movie now on netflix. Spoiler ahead:

The love interest is taken hostage at the 80% mark. She's all of 17 or so and three young thugs are waving guns at her, trying to decide which one will shoot her. After trying to reason with them, and after a scuffle, she is able to grab one of the guns.

The simple fact of her now having a gun changes the dynamic effectively. Several scenes later she does, in fact, shoot the biggest bad.

It's set in London, I believe, for a British (and American) audience. It was based on a 2010 book by Kevin Brooks. Perhaps this novel or film can give you some ideas?

My understanding of Chekov's gun is that you cannot (should not) promise tension and fail to deliver it. However, you are doing the reverse here--adding in tension for free. You *could* telegraph the marksmanship ahead of time, but I'm not sure you need to. Brooks didn't. It actually added tension, because we have no idea how a novice will perform.

I will definitely have a look at this!

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Several basics to consider:

• Handgun or long gun (rifle or shotgun) - note that a long gun is all but impossible to conceal and even a handgun is harder to conceal than you think.
  • What are the circumstances for wrestling over a gun? The simplest and most likely outcome of a wrestling match for a firearm is that the original holder of the weapon fires before the wrestling begins and no wrestling match occurs. You will have to explain why they did not fire, in which case, why bring a gun you don't intend to use. I was always taught that you never point a weapon at something you don't intend to kill - at a minimum you are fine with killing.
  • A friend of the family in law enforcement once told me that almost all gun fights happen at a range of about six feet (inside or out - excluding combat). He himself has shot someone, shot and killed someone, and been shot in gunfire exchanges - three separate occasions. He was undercover operations for drug enforcement in the southern U.S.
  • All firearms can kill - while a .22 is unlikely to drop someone straight away, they will not be happy and will not be likely to pursue beyond getting shot. .22 is actually a super common firearm in street shootings in the US. Larger handgun ammunition will cause serious damage and big bore will make a mess of a target quick.
  • Large bore weapons are heavy and have kick. I had the misfortune to fire a .44 magnum as a ten year old and it knocked me on the ground. Granddad thought that was funny. As an adult, I elected to pass on the SW .500 that was sending wafts of exhaust two bays down from where it was firing like a cannon. 9mm are perfectly manageable with little kick.
  • Smaller guns have more kick - That means that a big nasty weapon firing a 9mm round will pop (standard issue Glock or Sig Sauer), but a small purse gun in 9mm (LC9) will kick your hand. I have both and can advise on that personally.
  • A short barrel shotgun is known as a hall howitzer for a reason.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To have some basically familiarity just requires a hunting outing with grandma on vacation, target shooting with peers as juveniles in a rebellious phase, a foray into target shooting at college, etc. But I'd agree context matters. if a "bad guy" was waving the gun and just put it down, it would be ready to go and just require the confidence of desperation to grab it.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If that's the case, then I would go for something like a Browning Hi-Power which was the standard sidearm of the British army for a long time and was also popular within the IRA. It would also mean that it did not matter WHEN the shooting took place, as you wouldn't risk using a weapon that did not exist at a certain point in time. If the antagonist is the person that killed the MC's Father, you could then make it the same gun for a little bit of poetic justice?
. . .

A Browning Hi-power is not a bad idea . . . Just be certain the magazine is fully seated in the Browning Hi-Power's grip-well; otherwise a disconnect safety bar will prevent firing (applicable to most models/variations of the BH-P in 9mm).

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
How about giving him a hand-gun that was really common during the Troubles? I don't know how or why his father was killed, but perhaps right before (anticipating trouble) or right after, a mate sets him up with a cheap, common gun, such as a young guy might get his hands on. Throws in a couple of quick lessons, on the principle that if things go bad, he'll have to know how to use it.
(Might be a friend, or perhaps a friend's father, etc. Someone who knows how bad things could get.)
When he goes into protective custody, as you say, he hands the gun in and expects that will be the end of it.
Have his enemies be really old-school, and bring the same model of weapon to the gun-fight.

BlackKnight1974

Registered
Reaction score
A Browning Hi-power is not a bad idea . . . Just be certain the magazine is fully seated in the Browning Hi-Power's grip-well; otherwise a disconnect safety bar will prevent firing (applicable to most models/variations of the BH-P in 9mm).

Good point - although magazine safeties are not hard to remove and as the owner would be a member of a paramilitary group, they wouldn't be worried about the legal implications of doing so. Would also improve the trigger pull too!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this had occurred to me to do some research into the type of guns that the IRA used.

runoffscribe

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Good evening, gothicangel,

This is a little technical. To search out a devil, examine the details.

The most common sorts of handguns you will see are the newer "striker-fired" and the older "hammer-fired".

The major difference between types is in the characteristic "firing action". "Firing action" may be defined as the parts directly affected by the movement of the trigger, and the resulting movement of the parts effecting the firing of a bullet. Ordinarily, this expression is shortened to "action". Depending upon context, "action" may be a noun or a verb. The verb is, by a wide margin, the most common in usage.

Action may be "double" or "single". A double-action weapon is first cocked, then fired, by the movement of the trigger through the greatest length of its travel. In single-action operation, the weapon is first cocked by manual retraction of the hammer, then fired by closure of the trigger.

I'll bet you caught that. Single-action operation is inherently a mode available in hammer-fired weapons. Because a striker-fired weapon has no hammer, exposed or otherwise, it is natively a double-action device in operation, double-actioned in its construction.

This matters why? A hammer-fired weapon requires significant effort to fire in double action, much less in single. Generally, for an action capable of sustaining the explosive impact of 9mm ammunition, the effort will peak at eight pounds or more in double action, three or more in single.

A striker-fired weapon is inherently double-action/double-actioned. Because the moving parts require less mass and lower spring tension to fire a bullet, trigger effort generally peaks in the range of five pounds. Striker-fired weapons are generally considered safe with regard to accidental firing, and are not ordinarily fitted with a safety lever.

Now, we can talk about the action of your hero.Hhe can pull the trigger of a Glock. He may have trouble with an old Beretta, or a 1911 Colt. If he has smaller hands, he will have trouble with the most common 9mm handguns of either type. His finger, at the first joint, may not take secure purchase on the trigger. He may be able to fire, but fire wildly.

A last consideration. Most hammer-fired handguns operate in double-action on the first shot, single-action on subsequent firings -- "DA/SA". If your hero wins the scramble for a dropped weapon that has fired one or more rounds, the weapon will have cycled through double-action and into single-action. Aside from the fact that it will fire with less effort, the trigger will be at a shorter reach. The safety may be assumed to be disengaged. You need not account for it in the narrative.

Discussion of muzzle blast, recoil and other secondary effects should wait until you decide how you want to use what you have.

That was a lot. If it will be any help to you, I will be glad to look at the scene you wring out of this and your hero's situation at start. To the extent that you write based on my input, I owe you that.

Live long and publish, gothicangel.

Last edited: