Verb for using magic

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
I guarantee this has been asked before but I can’t find it. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of verbs used to describe using magic? Examples: bending in avatar, burning in mistborn, drafting in Lightbringer, etc. I know the particular phrase/term should be specific to my magic system but just need something to inspire me. Anyone know of a list or could direct/provide me with one?

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Well, 'casting' is probably the most common, boilerplate one that I've heard. While a list might be useful for you, it might be more useful to describe your magic system to us and we can give you some suggestions, which you could either use outright or utilize as a starting point. :)

As for inspiration, I would like to look at the term 'bending' in reference to avatar. The benders 'bend' the elements, which clearly states that they don't create their chosen element (except firebenders, but they're also not bending something 'physical' like the other benders. I digress). Bending is a term that can imply that someone is coercing or convincing the natural world to work with them, or, depending on the context, it can imply a form of dominance. You see this in both avatar shows: characters who view their powers as something deep and spiritual that connects them to their world, and those who think bending is just a tool to be used. I feel like this is the sort of multi-meaning term you're looking for.

Burning in mistborn is because they consume the metal shavings they ingest, and they are 'burned'. I love me some Brandon Sanderson books, Mistborn especially, but I don't know if there's much more insight to be drawn from the term 'burning' than that. :tongue

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Do not go out of your way to invent a term if you don't need to. "Casting" works fine, and the readers understand it.

If you do need/want a term... how is your magic implemented? What does it do? As mentioned above, in Avatar it is "bending" because users are bending elemental forces to their will, and in Mistborn they are "burning" metals in their stomach acid to create magic. In one book I read (Devil's Tower, by Mark Sumner, where powers emerged at the height of the Civil War and reshaped/ended the Westward expansion, leaving settlements to fend for themselves), there were numerous ways people invoked power, largely based on their own intuitions and random gifts that they had to figure out themselves; some "hollered", shouting windstorms. Others "chattered" random sounds that invoked effects. Some "scribbled" marks in the dirt.

Do your users "pact" with spirits? Do they "speak" or "whisper" or "sing"? Do they "bind" power with words or will? Do they "scribe" them on paper, or "sketch" them in air? Do they "shape" etheral forces?

Last edited:

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
Great points you two. Thanks.
So in my magic system, level of abilities is based on a spectrum. At the lowest levels, magic users are called Specters because they practice Spectroscopy—which primarily consists of mind/innate abilities (sensing energy, entering into Mind Combat where they can actually enter a different realm and fight and if they kill someone there, they can take over their real body like a thrall, and they can speak telepathically with others with the same ability).

The next level of power is elemental based—Elemancy. very similar to avatar but they also have the Spectroscopic abilities. I’m trying to set strict limitations on the elemancy so it’s interesting, such as geomancers having to have physical contact with the earth in order to have any power, and pyromancers having weakened power on a cloudy day, for instance.

The third level of power is varamagy. A varamagus has access to spectoscopy and elemancy, but they also have access to a language based magic that essentially is spell casting.

In the background is a deeper meaning behind the whole thing to explain why some are varamagi and others are only specters but it’s not important to understand the basics.

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, thanks! I should spell it differently s I don't confuse the terms--Specterscopy rather than spectro-. And yeah, I went with the term specter because their abilities deal with the unseen, like ghosts or specters. Thanks.

clawyer80

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that casting is probably the best general term. Beyond that, it probably helps know know what the magic is doing. For instance, if you're adding magical properties to an object, then enchant and bless are often used. Or if the magic is inflicting some kind of an infirmity on a person then you might see words like curse and hex.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Great points you two. Thanks.
So in my magic system, level of abilities is based on a spectrum. At the lowest levels, magic users are called Specters because they practice Spectroscopy—which primarily consists of mind/innate abilities (sensing energy, entering into Mind Combat where they can actually enter a different realm and fight and if they kill someone there, they can take over their real body like a thrall, and they can speak telepathically with others with the same ability).

The next level of power is elemental based—Elemancy. very similar to avatar but they also have the Spectroscopic abilities. I’m trying to set strict limitations on the elemancy so it’s interesting, such as geomancers having to have physical contact with the earth in order to have any power, and pyromancers having weakened power on a cloudy day, for instance.

The third level of power is varamagy. A varamagus has access to spectoscopy and elemancy, but they also have access to a language based magic that essentially is spell casting.

In the background is a deeper meaning behind the whole thing to explain why some are varamagi and others are only specters but it’s not important to understand the basics.

Hey there Jinnambex, not sure if this is helpful, but I'll just throw it out there.

If I reflect on the system you're describing, and I try it in my own words, I come up with this description:

- Tier I magicians--they can perform low-level telepathic actions. It seems the source of their power is their own mind.

- Tier II magicians--they can do all the telepathy, but they can also harness energy from outside themselves (earth, sun, etc.). They are technologists, i.e. they make instrumental use of resources outside themselves.

- Tier III magicians--they can harness their own energy (telepathy), the energy of other entities (earth, sun, etc.), and they can harness the power of (the universe??) through language.

What's immediately clear to me is that the 3 tiers are not all equally defined. If I put it in table form (don't try this at home):

Source of power / how it's harnessed

Tier I: clear (=own mind) / not clear (maybe mental focusing techniques?)

Tier II: clear (=physical entities outside self) / not clear (maybe recognizing energies available in outside entities, then focusing?)

Tier III: not clear (=the universe?) / through language

My gut says, if you fill out this table all the way, you might get more direction in what to name each tier. As of now, Tier I seems to be named for the fact that it exists on a spectrum--but I assume all the tiers exist in spectrums. Tier II's name makes the most sense to me, as it's tied to the magic itself, not to a description of the variability of the magic in different mages. The name of Tier III doesn't ring any associations for me (other than magus), so it tells me very little about Tier III.

If this were my magic system, I would name each thing after 1) the source of power, or 2) the way it's harnessed. These are dumb, but the structure would be something like Mindomancy, Thingomancy, and Universeomancy.

Anyway, forgive me for brazenly diagnosing so much based on a few paragraphs. I know very little about your story, but I'm sure it's great! Hope this is helpful, and keep at it!

Last edited:

Akvranel

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends most on what you want to invoke in your reader. If you just want to get the point across that magic stuff happened 'cast' will do the trick throwing in a few variants may help avoid being repetitive if used a lot. I'd really only recommend making up your own term if you are trying to get something across to the reader about what that casting looks like that can't be communicated with that word - so using burning is meant to really get that point across because there's a very specific way that magic is cast.

You could also do more of a cause and effect description of what the caster looks like and what happens when the cast - like saying a woman slams her hand to the ground causing the earth to erupt. You don't specifically say magic was cast but your reader should be smart enough to figure it out :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think it depends on the mechanics of magic as it operates in your world. One typically "casts" spells. Other types of magic could be invoked, summoned (like if magic works via spirits or something), conjured, thrown, channeled etc. I use the verb "channeling" for healing spells in the novel I am working on right now, for instance, and for spells where people influence the thoughts or perceptions of others or temporarily alter their own physical abilities. This is because those with arcane powers (in this world) create an effect over a longer time and requires the use and manipulation of different kinds of energy reserves. To me "casting a spell" conjures up an image of using words or gestures to create a more immediate effect that, even if it is ongoing, doesn't have to be maintained by the caster once it is complete. YMMV, though.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
... just need something to inspire me.

I find inspiration in google's etymology function. There's often enough grist for the mill to start mulling neologisms that make sense. See the specific instance of magic below, but also look at the other possibilities. (I love the idea of hurling spells.)

Origin: Middle English: from Old Norse kasta ‘to cast or throw’.

verb: cast; 3rd person present: casts; past tense: cast; past participle: cast; gerund or present participle: casting
cause (light or shadow) to appear on a surface.
"the moon cast a pale light over the cottages"
Similar:
emit
give off
send out
send forth
shed
radiate
diffuse
spread out
form
create
make
produce
cause
project
throw
cause (uncertainty or disapproval) to be associated with something.
"journalists cast doubt on the government's version of events"

register (a vote).
"residents turned out in record numbers to cast their votes"
Similar:
register
record
enter
file
lodge
vote
allot
assign
give

throw the hooked and baited end of (a fishing line) out into the water.
let down (an anchor or sounding line).

LITERARY
throw (something) forcefully in a specified direction.
"he cast the book down on to the chair angrily"
Similar:
throw
toss
fling
pitch
hurl
bowl
dash
shy
lob
launch
flip
let fly
direct
discharge
project
propel
send
chuck
heave
sling
bung
direct (one's eyes or a look) at something.
"she cast down her eyes"
Similar:
direct
shoot
turn
throw
send
dart
bestow
give

shape (metal or other material) by pouring it into a mold while molten.
"when hammered or cast, bronze could be made into tools"
Similar:
mold
fashion
form
shape
model
sculpt
sculpture
frame
forge
carve
make
create
build
manufacture
make (a molded object) by pouring metal or other material into a mold while molten.
"a bell was cast for the church"
arrange and present in a specified form or style.
"he issued statements cast in tones of reason"

cause (a magic spell) to take effect.
"the witch cast a spell on her to turn her into a beast"
Similar:
bewitch
enchant
curse
jinx
witch
hex
point the bone at
entrance

shed (skin or horns) in the process of growth.
"the antlers are cast each year"
Similar:
shed
discard
slough off
throw off
get rid of
let fall
let drop
molt
peel off
exuviate
(of a horse) lose (a shoe).

calculate and record details of (a horoscope).
"you can look at the star chart cast at somebody's birth"
Similar:
calculate
devise
compute
reckon
determine
assess
work out
formulate
record
write
predict
forecast
foretell
foresee
prophesy

(in country dancing) change one's position by moving a certain number of places in a certain direction along the outside of the line in which one is dancing.
"cross the set and cast down one place"

HUNTING
(of a dog) search in different directions for a lost scent.
"the dog cast furiously for the vanished rabbit"
let loose (hounds) on a scent.
"casting the hounds into cover, we stood and listened"

There's another section for nouns but the quote was too-long already.

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there Jinnambex, not sure if this is helpful, but I'll just throw it out there.

If I reflect on the system you're describing, and I try it in my own words, I come up with this description:

- Tier I magicians--they can perform low-level telepathic actions. It seems the source of their power is their own mind.

- Tier II magicians--they can do all the telepathy, but they can also harness energy from outside themselves (earth, sun, etc.). They are technologists, i.e. they make instrumental use of resources outside themselves.

- Tier III magicians--they can harness their own energy (telepathy), the energy of other entities (earth, sun, etc.), and they can harness the power of (the universe??) through language.

What's immediately clear to me is that the 3 tiers are not all equally defined. If I put it in table form (don't try this at home):

Source of power / how it's harnessed

Tier I: clear (=own mind) / not clear (maybe mental focusing techniques?)

Tier II: clear (=physical entities outside self) / not clear (maybe recognizing energies available in outside entities, then focusing?)

Tier III: not clear (=the universe?) / through language

My gut says, if you fill out this table all the way, you might get more direction in what to name each tier. As of now, Tier I seems to be named for the fact that it exists on a spectrum--but I assume all the tiers exist in spectrums. Tier II's name makes the most sense to me, as it's tied to the magic itself, not to a description of the variability of the magic in different mages. The name of Tier III doesn't ring any associations for me (other than magus), so it tells me very little about Tier III.

If this were my magic system, I would name each thing after 1) the source of power, or 2) the way it's harnessed. These are dumb, but the structure would be something like Mindomancy, Thingomancy, and Universeomancy.

Anyway, forgive me for brazenly diagnosing so much based on a few paragraphs. I know very little about your story, but I'm sure it's great! Hope this is helpful, and keep at it!

Thanks for taking the time to spell it out like that! I never thought of it in those terms (inner, outer, universal) but it does seem to go somewhat along those lines.