Howdy, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

funeral_marches

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy, folks! Nice to finally meet you.

I've been writing 'for as long as I remember,' although if we're trying to be exact, I've started taking my scribbling seriously about seven or so years ago. (And by seriously, I mean that when people ask me what my hobbies are, I humbly supply that "I write a bit, now and again.") Since then, I've dabbled in fanfiction, historical fiction, short stories, realistic fiction, murder (only in writing, I promise), and all sorts of other nonsense. Currently treading the deep, unfamiliar waters of alternate history with a science fiction twist.

In terms of reading, I enjoy an eclectic cocktail of whatever strikes my fancy. If backed into a corner, however, and forced to explain myself, I'll grudgingly admit to sticking mostly to realistic and historical fiction, favoring authors from the first half of the 20th century.

I've unfortunately had little real experience with the writing community before. I've occasionally been asked to read someone else's writing, mostly short form, and I've really enjoyed it for the most part. This past year, though, I've started setting concrete goals to finish some of my pieces, and I realized how 'on my own' I actually am. Being a one-man-island has been fun, but it's about time I take that excursion to the mainland I've been putting off. Learn a little, share what I've learned. Hey, maybe it'll be useful to someone?

In other words: I'm awfully glad to be here. How are y'all doin?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Th3Hybr1d

Registered
Reaction score
I read the part where you said you dabble in murder, and I freaked out for a second, but thank you for clearing that up. I haven't read historical fiction, mostly because I haven't heard of it before. This is also my first time on a writing group, so hopefully your experiences will be helpful and send you on the path to improving your writing.
Hope to see you around!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, funeral_marches! In my opinion you've picked the best writing place, bar none, to dock at :)

There are a ton of resources here and a ton of writers at all different stages of their writing journeys. AW's sheer size can make it a little daunting at first but if you take your time getting to know the place you'll likely find you won't want to leave.

See you around!
Izz

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there!

Nice to see another brilliant soul. Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.