Kindle or Nook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micahkolding

Banned
Reaction score
I've been dabbling with self-publishing. Though I used Amazon for a while, I've been getting into Barnes & Noble. I was therefore wondering if anybody has published ebooks with both the Kindle and Nook platforms, and which one proved more beneficial; is it worthwhile to go exclusive with Kindle to take advantage of Kindle Unlimited, do you go exclusive with Nook, or do you use both?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon will generate most of your sales.

That said, even if you do use Kindle Unlimited (research it carefully, and adhere rigidly to the guidelines if you do Unlimited), you should at some point plan to publish widely, Apple's Books, Kindle, Kobo, Smashwords, Nook, etc. Smashwords and Draft2Digital (https://www.draft2digital.com) are two ways to publish on multi platforms, without doing each one "by hand." There are others.

janeofalltrades

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I use a kindle app on my phone, which is really handy. I don't know if B&N has such an app or if you have to own a nook to read their ebooks.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
There is a great Facebook group called Wide for the Win which covers all things self publishing to multiple platforms. To do that you cannot be enrolled in the Kindle Unlimited program on Amazon though you can publish on Amazon without being in KU.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
SFWA, the SFF Writers of America organization for SF/F professionals, has a terrific web page with lots of info useful for self-publishers. Here's a link to it.

https://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/pod/

I began publishing a dozen years ago. Then I used every service available. After a few years of making most sales on Amz and few or none elsewhere I went exclusively Amz.

Thinking it was a trivial program I signed onto distribution through their two subscriptions services KU/KOLL. They required I be exclusive to Amz & I already decided to do that. To my surprise over the years I've made almost twice through them than from book sales.

So I suggest you at least begin with Amz. You can always later branch out.

micahkolding

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds good. Yeah, I started with Amazon, and it will probably continue to be my primary platform. I am starting to question the value of Kindle Unlimited, though, at least for certain genres; I get the sense that the kind of person with a Kindle Unlimited subscription might not be looking for YA books, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.