hello, it's me

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
It's been suggested I should tell you about myself.

• What genres do you write?

It used to be called "urban fantasy", now I think it's called "adult contemporary fantasy" but I could be wrong. My stories are set in the current day, both of them in upstate New York along the Hudson Valley.

• What do you like to read?

Oh my, that's a difficult question.

I like what I like. That generally does not include horror, mysteries, biographies, autobiographies, thrillers or romance novels. I read a lot (A LOT) of fantasy and science fiction as a kid, but kind of ... stopped ... for a while, before getting up to speed again. I love to read fairy tales, philosophy, bizarro stuff (I loved the Southern Reach Triology), left-of-center fiction (early Jonathan Lethem, the occasional Murakami, early Perez-Reverte), and the classics (Alfred Bester, R.A. Lafferty, Jack Vance). I have a small shrine on my bookshelf to Flann O'Brien right next to similar shrines to Italo Calvino, Jeff Noon (Vurt changed my life) and Steve Aylett. I remember reading John Bellairs' The Face in the Frost like it was yesterday. No matter how many times I read Little, Big, I can't keep it in my head. I'm still preparing myself to read Gormenghast. I read Neuromancer every year whether I need to or not. I am rationing Cordwainer Smith's books because I can't bear to run out of his words.

And I gobble every last one of Charles Stross' Laundry Files books when they appear.

My favorite books of the last few years were Gideon the Ninth (I'm still fighting my way through the sequel, sadly), A City Dreaming, and the most recent Laundry Files books.

• How long have you been writing?

I've been writing all my life, including 24 years of Amber fan fiction and towering stacks of corporate marketing garbage and presentations so tall they'd crush you if one fell on you.

18 months ago I gave up on fan fiction and began to write my own stories. I finished editing that first book in the spring, and I'm hard at work on a new project. If You'd Like To Learn More I'd Be Happy To Tell You.

• Do you beta read?

Yes. Yes I do. I would also welcome being part of a critique circle where I can learn something. I'm "actively querying" and gosh, it's making me old. Well, maybe old-er.

• Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you expert in any particular field or craft?

I am an expert at public speaking, product and program management, and I am accomplished at signing, piano playing, humility, repeating myself and piano playing. I can grow garlic, fold fitted sheets, confit duck, sing in tune on-demand, and yet, with all that, I do not know the way to San Jose. Oh, and I tell dad jokes.

I'm on the twitter too.

Cheers!

bob

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Bob.

I'm not normally one to jump on someone as soon as they walk through the door into a party, but my parents way back in the 70s were best friends with a Corrigan family so you made me all weepy with your name, and then you said something about being able to fold fitted sheets. Amazing!

Plus I just finished my editing stint for the day and am decompressing now.

Welcome.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Bob! Sounds like you have an eclectic array of reading interests. I’d imagine these influences have found their way into your work and I would love to see your stuff. Best of luck with the querying.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

funeral_marches

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Bob. Nice to meet you!

That is certainly an impressive and exhaustive reading list. I even recognize some of the names (nervous laugher)! Italo Calvino, I know him! And I've just recently finished Murakami's Men Without Women, although I have a creeping suspicion that it isn't a definitive staple of his body of work. (Care to share your favorite works of Calvino and/or Murakami?)

I must say I'm intrigued by 'urban fantasy set in upstate New York along the Hudson Valley.' I'd Like To Learn More, please. And congratulations on transitioning out of fanfiction and into the deep dark woods of your own fiction.

Good luck with the querying!

bobcorrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your kind replies! I feel right at home already.

Trying to name my favorite Calvino and Murakami novels is a little like asking about favorite foods - a lot has to do with my mood. But I can recommend Calvino's _If On A Winter's Night A Traveler_ and _The Baron in the Trees_ as two stand outs, and Murakami's _A Wild Sheep Chase_ is a delight. The Wikipedia editors describe it as "... part mystery and part magical realism with a postmodern twist."

I will say that my favorite fantasy novels of all time are Jack Vance's Dying Earth books and M.A.R. Barker's _Flamesong_.

I'm keen to not break any forum rules in my very first post, so if you have some ideas for the best way to tell folks more about my stories, by all means, please let me know. Perhaps a few lines would be ok, though.

I describe my first book - The Meribel Darlings - as "Sarah J Maas’ Crescent City meets This Is Us". It draws on Irish mythology very heavily, and features three POVs: a pirate, a guard, and an orphaned peddler, and each one has a very complicated past. While it is set in the Hudson Valley, the story takes place in a town that does not want to be found. It went through a full sensitivity read, four rounds of betas, a developmental edit, and at the end I read the entire book out loud - one chapter at a time - to a pair of beta "listeners". Believe you me, that process uncovered a lot of interesting issues. :)

My second book - Hawthorn One - has been pitched as "the gangster druids of New York". I'm workshopping the first two chapters next week, and I really need to finish chapter three or I'm in big trouble.

bob

PS:I forgot to recommend Max Barry's _Lexicon_ when I wrote my post - it's one of my favorite novels of the last few years too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.