Kyle Rittenhouse out on bail...

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Republican lawmaker calls for Kyle Rittenhouse, who is on trial for murder, to be elected to Congress

Independent said:
A Republican lawmaker in Florida has been condemned after calling for Kyle Rittenhouse, a teenager charged with murder, to be elected to Congress.

Anthony Sabatini, who sits in the state’s House of Representatives, on Saturday tweeted, “KYLE RITTENHOUSE FOR CONGRESS”.

It came a day after Rittenhouse, 17, was granted bail after being charged with allegedly shooting dead two people and leaving a third paralysed in August during protests against police violence in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

He was released on Friday after posting a $2m (£1.5m) bond and is due back in court next month for a preliminary hearing.

Well, it does seem on-brand for the current “pro-life” party, I guess?

• Angry
Reactions: mccardey

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't there an age requirement for being elected to Congress?

According to the most recent candidate's guide in Illinois (amended 5/28/20), one has to be 30 years of age to run for U.S. Senator and 25 years to run for U.S. House of Reps. There's also the usual filling out and filing of paperwork and trolling for petition signatures. By the time he's eligible, I suspect the GOP will have moved on to their new flavor of the week and he'll be hosting some "reality" show on MVHE!TV1.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you guys have the age requirement thing down, how about giving a little attention to the 'previous experience' thing?
Make someone at least make 'Big City mayor', Governor, or some sort of Federal elected experience before they are allowed to run for President?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
An unusual cast of unsavory bedfellows.

Kyle Rittenhouse’s Attorney Thanks Actor Ricky Schroder for Helping Post $2 Million Bail
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/kyle-rittenhouse-ricky-schroder-bail-1234837394/

Attorney Lin Wood took to Twitter on Friday to announce Rittenhouse’s release, giving a shoutout to Schroder for his donation.
“God bless all who donated to help #FightBack raise required $2M cash bail,” wrote Wood. “Special thanks to actor Ricky Schroder and [My Pillow CEO] Mike Lindell for putting us over the top. Kyle is safe. Thanks to all who helped this boy.”

-cb

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Heavily armed white minor crosses state lines, kills 2 unarmed protesters, gets out on bail. Colour me shocked.

This. Plus this happens around the 6th anniversary (yesterday) of Tamir Rice being shot dead in seconds by police for being a Black child with a *toy* gun.

• Angry
Reactions: mccardey

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
I can't even imagine what would have happened if Rittenhouse had shot, say, two "stop the count" protesters and it was later discovered he had ties to antifa. And yet people think antifa are the dangerous ones. Also, I think I might just be somewhat ignorant on United States law, but is first degree murder really a "bailable" offense? Should there even be bail for someone who takes life? That seems ridiculous, but maybe I'm missing something, I'm no expert.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Laws about how to name and charge the various homicides, and about bail and sentencing, vary so widely by state it's hard to wrap my head around it.

And of course there's a great deal of leeway in charging people too, and it's well documented that some alleged criminals catch all sorts of breaks because they are more "sympathetic" to the folks charging them, and to the grand jury etc., while others don't get any benefit of the doubt at all.

This belief that Antifa is a well-organized "cell" of domestic terrorists, comparable to white nationalist groups, is a fiction the Right (and evidently at least some police) feeds themselves. For some reason, believing this gives them "permission" to not attend to their own monsters.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Laws about how to name and charge the various homicides, and about bail and sentencing, vary so widely by state it's hard to wrap my head around it.

And of course there's a great deal of leeway in charging people too, and it's well documented that some alleged criminals catch all sorts of breaks because they are more "sympathetic" to the folks charging them, and to the grand jury etc., while others don't get any benefit of the doubt at all.

Also throw in the fact he was a minor at the time and you've got a whole new ball of worms introduced to the proceedings. Of course, the level of celebrity he's received in all of this probably doesn't help matters (or will, depending on whose point of view).

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think much else about this elderly judge (75 years old) would surprise me. He's been compared to Archie Bunker. He's certainly the quintessential 'all white jury lets white guy who killed black guys go free' kind of judge.

Then today his phone rang during the trial.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kyle-Rittenhouse-trial-live-Kenosha-calls-in-National-Guards.jpg

This is America
Don't catch you slippin' up
Look what I'm whippin' up
This is America (woo)
Look what I'm whippin' up
This is America (skrrt, skrrt, woo)
Don't catch you slippin' up (ayy)
Look at how I'm livin' now
Police be trippin' now (woo)
Yeah, this is America (woo, ayy)
Guns in my area (word, my area)
I got the strap (ayy, ayy)
I gotta carry 'em

~ Childish Gambino.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Supreme Court Justice material there.
If he were old enough, Donald Trump would ask Kyle Rittenhouse to be his vice-president. Or the chief of his security detail.

PEERLESS PREDICTION: Rittenhouse walks. Gets a book deal. Goes on Faux News, Newsmax and One America News, does Steve Bannon's podcast, Ben Shapiro and D'nesh D'Souza fight over the movie rights for a film to be directed by Mel Gibson starring Scott Baio as Killer Kyle. Meanwhile, Crybaby Kyle moves on to his new career as either a Proud Boy or the next Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Wisconsin.

America loves a war hero and Rittenhouse is a hero to the right-wing for not only "owning the libs" but murdering two of 'em as well, so yay?

You read it here first. :guns:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
If he were old enough, Donald Trump would ask Kyle Rittenhouse to be his vice-president. Or the chief of his security detail.

PEERLESS PREDICTION: Rittenhouse walks. Gets a book deal. Goes on Faux News, Newsmax and One America News, does Steve Bannon's podcast, Ben Shapiro and D'nesh D'Souza fight over the movie rights for a film to be directed by Mel Gibson starring Scott Baio as Killer Kyle. Meanwhile, Crybaby Kyle moves on to his new career as either a Proud Boy or the next Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Wisconsin.

America loves a war hero and Rittenhouse is a hero to the right-wing for not only "owning the libs" but murdering two of 'em as well, so yay?

You know, nighttimer, I never thought I'd see a day when you were less cynical than I am.

Everybody knows he's a murderer. Even the radical right knows he's a murderer. That's not the issue. His acquittal is going to let the radical right know that they are now allowed to go out and shoot liberals with impunity.

The rule of law is fragile, and enforced with wild unevenness. I have a guess about where the weak points will be, but I tend to underestimate the perfidy of even my fellow liberals, so I'm putting money on nothing.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
In his very fuzzy way, the judge drops misdemeanor charge of a minor in possession of a weapon.

The judge noted that prosecutors filed a “very nice brief” laying out their arguments but that it should have been clear he had a “big problem” with the prohibition statute.

He said prosecutors could have asked a state appeals court to rule on whether the charge was valid “all along.” Then he caught himself, noting that he never issued a ruling against the prosecution that might have triggered such a request until just then with closing arguments minutes away.

• Angry
Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
His acquittal is going to let the radical right know that they are now allowed to go out and shoot liberals with impunity.

That’s where we are today.

“When do we get to use the guns? ... That's not a joke. I'm not saying it like that. I mean, literally, where's the line? How many elections are they going to steal before we kill these people?”

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping his best case scenario (if not jail) is a George Zimmerman-like spiral of self destruction. Everyone will know his name forever.
... though, I just Googled ol' George, and while he's had some dumb stuff happen to him, I'm not seeing the satisfying level of pain and ignonimy that I'd remembered. Screw the both of em.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sadly, you are almost certainly right. I'm hoping for a hung jury and a retrial with a decent judge.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, nighttimer, I never thought I'd see a day when you were less cynical than I am.

Everybody knows he's a murderer. Even the radical right knows he's a murderer. That's not the issue. His acquittal is going to let the radical right know that they are now allowed to go out and shoot liberals with impunity.

The rule of law is fragile, and enforced with wild unevenness. I have a guess about where the weak points will be, but I tend to underestimate the perfidy of even my fellow liberals, so I'm putting money on nothing.
Whites killing blacks with impunity is nothing new. Stand your ground and self-defense are horribly misused like in the Trayvon Martin murder.

But this will give these racist murderers a boost for sure.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Whites killing blacks with impunity is nothing new. Stand your ground and self-defense are horribly misused like in the Trayvon Martin murder.

I am absolutely aware what I'm feeling has been experienced by a large percentage of US citizens for some decades now, and that's shameful in its own right.

But this will give these racist murderers a boost for sure.

It will make them feel entitled to shoot anyone they disagree with for any reason.

So, complete anarchy.

I don't really want to arm myself. I'm not feeling like I'm being left a lot of other choices.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was one black juror in the group of 18. Anyone know if that person ended up among the 12 that will decide the case?

Amazing isn't it that the defense in this case eliminated all the black jurors except one just like in the Arbery case.

We are going back to the 50s.

• Sad
Reactions: kinokonoronin