PSA: Malwarebytes Update

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
The newest update to the free version of Malwarebytes anti-malware protection includes "Browser Guard", which detects the presence of trojans and other malware. I loaded it last night when the offer came in and already this morning it blocked a seemingly innocuous Texas Law-related blog because it detected a trojan. If you have the free version of Malwarebytes, get the update. If you don't have at least the free version loaded, load it right now.

abwriter10

Registered
Reaction score
Ari, being a non-techie but someone who's concerned about online safety, I appreciate this type of info. Question -- the free version of Malwarebytes does not offer real-time protection against viruses. I am using Avast (free version) for this protection. If I were to run this Browser Guard and Avast at the same time, will they fight against each other and negate some of their protection as I've read if you run two anti-virus programs at the same time?

Also, we (finally) got xfinity home router wi-fi. We've been told to never use our credit card or social security numbers online when at a public place like Starbucks because there are hackers with programs that are able to look at our online activity and see our confidential info. Question -- could this also happen at our home with the home wi-fi? Couldn't some hacker neighbor see what we're doing online here? We tried to get a straight answer from the xfinity people but they were vague in their response. Your opinion?

Anyway, thanks for the info!

abw10

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're running Avast or any other full time live anti-virus do not install another one—any other one.

Only use one live scan product at a time—but do use one, even on Macs.

But DO download and use the free Malware Bytes malware/adware scan. It often spots things others miss.

Run it once a month at least. Just don't turn on the live scan.

Last edited: