AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Urban Fantasy Murder Mystery: Do I have too many characters?

Threaded View

watching The Office again Ellis Clover's Avatar
    Gosh, I've got nearly that many POV characters in my WIP! (Not really - there's eight - but they've all got partners/friends/kids/colleagues who make regular appearances too.)

I see a lot of apprehension around large casts in these forums, but honestly - if each of your characters has a distinct purpose that serves the story, and that purpose is clear to the reader ('don't confuse the reader' is a golden rule of writing, as far as 'rules' go), and you're hitting a commercial word count and the story is complete and satisfying, isn't that all that matters?

And I do think crime mysteries in particular are more forgiving of large casts anyway because of the suspects, the witnesses, the number of cops on the case (I read a lot of Ruth Rendell and Sophie Hannah and there's always at least half a dozen), all the red-herrings paths into family histories and suss acquaintanceships that need following, etc etc.
    Last edited by Ellis Clover; Yesterday at 08:27 AM.
    WIP #1: The Grevillea Street First XI (Contemporary) - 105K/100K
    WIP #2: Tumble Down (Contemporary) - 20K/75K
    WIP #3: All Her Special Things - 5K/85k
    Completed: Track (Mystery/Thriller) 80k/80k - querying

Mum always pushed him away. She turned golden around the edges whenever he entered a room, but I remember understanding that early - all the ways you can love and hate a person.
    - Untitled WIP

ellisclover.com